Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:33 PM

326 posts, read 824,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Get ready to drive to everything like the dr.s office. Then the grocery and maybe a movie theatre every once in a while. Its nice to have land but also nice to have folks around and maybe a pool in the hood for the kiddos to make friends with (you also). We lived in the country aand it took 45mins to get to the closest Wallymart,that was not even the mall type of area. To get to the kiddos dr.s took a while and it seemed they were getting sick or banging up something that needed to get looked at. I think it would be easier now that my kids are older but the early years it was not!
the drive is an issue, for sure, especially with my current gas guzzler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I second the suggestion of Meetup. Also, you'll find after you've been there for a while, because it WILL be a drive, that you'll be planning ahead. For example, if I'm driving into town for one thing, I'll have three or four other things that I need to do in the same area or close by that I'll plan to do at the same time. Saves fuel, time, and aggravation. Also, you'll learn to stock up - I always have one backup of things that we use a lot (peanut butter, a loaf of bread in the freezer, butter in the freezer, canned goods that I use a lot, things like that) so that if we run out, it's not a matter of having to go into town to get some before the next trip.

How old are your children? Are you going to be sending them to school, or homeschooling?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 PM

326 posts, read 824,012 times
i'm very happy to stock up - i've always been a bit of a squirrel, so i think that will be great for me

my children are 1 and nearly 4. the nearly four year old will go to preschool [assuming i can find one!] - i'd never subject them to homeschooling with me ;-)

i will definitely check out meetup. com - thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: