Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 AM

55 posts, read 233,904 times

Advertisements

To anyone that has UVerse telephone service, can you please explain what taxes and fees are added to your bill? Do they add typical landline phone company taxes fees, etc., or are they more in line with the minimal cable company VOIP fees? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 AM

38 posts, read 143,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxguero View Post
You can use it on any channel that you are watching.
I'm pretty sure it would be on a channel by channel basis as your DVR isn't queueing the video (it cant, it only has one or two tuners) but instead TW is doing it upstream somewhere and feeding it down to you when you ask for it. A quick googling seems to indicate that there are "start over" enabled channels and that you can use it on any of those and that the list is growing over time, but it's not an all-inclusive deal (yet).

A quick side note, i noticed some comments when i was googling that they disable your ability to fast forward through the start-over content? interesting way to get people to watch commercials again

Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
we have had uverse for a year now and I have never had a problem fast-forwarding though anything--older recorded show or something we are watching as it records and want to go back for something we might have missed

it is true that you have to watch your set taping time--to make sure that you do prolong the taping to capture any program that might have started late--like after a football game which might not end right on scheduled time--or one that might go into overtime itself...
we love Amazing Race and I had to make sure that I added amost two hours to its time frame to ensure that I got it all if we were not at home on those particular Sundays...
it apparently does not read thespecific code that every televised program has which would enable it to start/stop with the program but just reads the channel/time it is scheduled for...

initially we could only program for recording a future show from our main tv cable box--but that changed several months ago--now I can program/erase/watch any all schedules programs from any tv with a cable box--but you can only record two HD channels at a time and/or watch any live HD programs up to those same 2--
I can watch ANY prior recorded program we made from any tv that we would want--because that does not use the outside line feed...
we have had good service from U-verse but you have to call the right number--ATT general number is not U-verse specific...

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM

426 posts, read 1,674,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbatoo View Post
To anyone that has UVerse telephone service, can you please explain what taxes and fees are added to your bill? Do they add typical landline phone company taxes fees, etc., or are they more in line with the minimal cable company VOIP fees? Thanks.
I don't remember what taxes/fees existed with a typical landline...

On my bill, I see:
TX State 911 Equalization Surcharge - 0.02
TX County 911 Service Fee - 0.50 (I'm in WilCo)
Federal Universal Service Fund - 1.82 - not sure if this is phone specific

Then typical state sales tax... I assume that should be universal no matter what

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
it is true that you have to watch your set taping time--to make sure that you do prolong the taping to capture any program that might have started late--like after a football game which might not end right on scheduled time--or one that might go into overtime itself....
I was actually referring to something more subtle.

We usually start watching sports programs about 30 minutes to an hour late so we can skip commercials. We start watching then eventually catch up to real time towards the end.

With our old dvr if the recording stopped before the event ended, we could seamlessly switch over to watching live tv. Because live tv captured 1 hour of history when we got to the end of the recording period we would just switch over to the history function of live tv.

With the uverse dvr when you hit the end of the recorded portion of the program and switch over to live tv the real time does not have any history so you lose the time between the end of the program and whatever is showing real time.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM

371 posts, read 887,138 times
Thank you all so much for all of the information. I'm so glad that you told me about Uverse not having the history of a recording. I really like that feature with Time Warner...but in this econonmy, I might have to go w/out it. I hope that they will find a way to fix that soon.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I was actually referring to something more subtle.

We usually start watching sports programs about 30 minutes to an hour late so we can skip commercials. We start watching then eventually catch up to real time towards the end.

With our old dvr if the recording stopped before the event ended, we could seamlessly switch over to watching live tv. Because live tv captured 1 hour of history when we got to the end of the recording period we would just switch over to the history function of live tv.

With the uverse dvr when you hit the end of the recorded portion of the program and switch over to live tv the real time does not have any history so you lose the time between the end of the program and whatever is showing real time.
Oh, that would suck!! We do the exact same thing and I would really not like that. I can't tell you how many times that has happened and we would switch over to the live channel to watch the end of the game.

We have DirecTv and ours will record whatever channel it's on for that 1 hour even when the DVR is turned off. So if we turn the TV on and are intrigued by something already on, we can rewind to catch the beginning.

Of course, I digress, because this thread isn't about DirecTv.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:52 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
What makes U-verse so superior to TWC, besides the latter's abominable customer service reputation?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
What makes U-verse so superior to TWC, besides the latter's abominable customer service reputation?
Reliability, with TWC our internet and TV service was frequently down, with U-Verse it rarely is down.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The only thing that I experienced bad with TWC was their poor quality DVR's. But they are so bad, that if I ever had to get TWC again, I would get a TIVO and rent cable cards for them as needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin