Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 AM

204 posts, read 814,053 times

Advertisements

Hi. Looking for any and all advice.

I was born and raised in Seattle. Spent 4 years between UK and Thailand also. My wife is Thai, and I know that lots of Thais enjoy Texas. We have three kids.

I started a company 10 years ago, and it's moving along well. Thought of selling the company, but I didn't get interest from the large companies I asked to buy it. Fine, I'll keep the company. I make about $200k/yr right now, and it's growing--even 2009 was better than 2008.

Now thinking of moving the company and family to Texas. Texas is a good location for various reasons. Being in Texas would reduce my shipping expenses and help improve customer service. I like adventure.

I've never been to Texas. This is just the very start of my research into the possibility of moving there. I employ 3 people full time, not sure if that would entitle me to any tax breaks or special programs. Interested to know about home prices and property taxes. I would need to rent a warehouse, around 4000 sq ft. I have plenty of cash on hand to pay for the move. My two older kids are very studious, and get high marks in school. Daughter wants to be a doctor. Looking for good schools. Also need to be near the Asian markets in TX, not sure what city the largest concentration of Asian consumers is, where the wholesalers are, etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDawson View Post
Also need to be near the Asian markets in TX, not sure what city the largest concentration of Asian consumers is, where the wholesalers are, etc.
If this is a requirement, Houston is probably the city for you since they have the largest Asian population.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,278 times
Austin has a decent sized asian market. UT is a big draw for asian students. There are also quite a few asian shops, groceries, and restaurants that have sprung up recently on North Lamar up to Parmer. But I also agree that Houston is a much bigger city with a larger asian population.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I'd say home prices range from $100-$200 per sq. ft. depending on where you want to live. There are more expensive properties too if that is what you want. Property taxes range from 1.9% to near 3% - again depending on where.

There are many fine public schools in the Austin area. There are any Asians in Austin, but not like Houston.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
We have a little China town off Lamar & Breaker area.

((You're not trying to do one of those illegal slot machine businesses, right))

Seriously, try looking for a house off Palmer (close to Samsung) You will be in Pflugerville. Plenty of shopping in that area and nice homes are in that area also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: