Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 39,398 times

Advertisements

my wife is a kindergarten school teacher in arizona and sent her credentials into the sbec they told her she has to take the generalist ec-6 test to get certified im looking to buy some books for my wife to study for the test there does not seem to be many ec-6 study books if my wife studies a ec-4 study book will that be enough to pass the ec-6 generalist test? has anyone taken the ec-6 generalist test? is it hard? what sections should my wife concentrate more on? i have a couple books in mind that i want to purchase to study can anyone tell me if there any good or not ultimate guide to the ec-4 generalist texes - becoming a ec-6 teacher in texas by janic nath - cliff notes ec-4 generalist - preparing for the texas prek-4 by janice nath and one more thing do the online taks practice test help you with the ec-6 generalist test any feedback would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 04:08 PM

98 posts, read 295,199 times
The ec-6 test is new, so I'm not sure if any books are out on it yet. Before it was ec-4 and 4-8. Sorry I can not offer any advice, but I can say that I moved here from CA last year and found the test easy compared to the Ca tests. Not sure how Az compares to CA though.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,081 times
The online TAKS released tests might help... also on the ETS website, there are sample questions for each of the tests (listed under "Preparation Materials"). I am not sure how the EC-6 is since I am currently certified EC-4 in Texas (certified K-8 out of state) and still need to take the 4-8 when I have the time/extra funds, but I can't imagine it would be much different. I did not find the test difficult, but I have heard of some teachers who had to take the generalist tests 2 or 3 times.

Is she not able to get a one-year certificate? Usually out-of-state teachers can get a one-year certificate and then take any needed tests during that year to get their regular certificate. Schools will hire you with the one-year certificate just as they do for a regular cert. Then you wouldn't have to buy books because you could check them out from the public library once you are in Texas. Also if it has been a while since she took Child Dev. (or if she is only familiar with cognitive/social development at the early childhood/kinder level), she may want to brush up on that. Again, I did not experience any difficulty with the PPR (I do think I missed one question though), but some teachers do struggle on it.

Is she taking both the generalist and the PPR tests? For the PPR test, the one bit of advice I can offer is that when answering the questions, one needs to answer them as if everything is perfect - supportive administrators, engaged students, involved parents, and more hours in the day than there really are. Whatever creates the most work for the teacher is typically the right answer.

If you must buy a study guide, I would think one specific to the EC-6 would be your best bet as they would encompass the additional standards addressed in grades 5 and 6. Maybe check out the sample questions on the ETS website first for both EC-4 and EC-6 and see if there is a large difference between them.

Last edited by buffy888; 03-13-2010 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: added Child Dev. suggestion

Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 22,989 times
I am going to take the Generalist EC-6 next week and I am very scared because of this test dependes if I will have a job or not for the next school year. I just got laid off as a teaching assistant position, and got lucky that I got an interview in another school to become a bilingual teacher, the only thing I need is to pass this exam to be able to get transfer. I only have 7 days to study and pass. Is anyone that can help me to find the best review test, book or advice if you already had passed this test recently I will truly appreciated thanks.

Does anyone that have taken this test can tell me wish one is easer the paper base test or the computer base one???

Last edited by alart74happy; 06-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: get feed back! help

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM

I am going to take the Generalist EC-6 next week and I am very scared because of this test dependes if I will have a job or not for the next school year. I just got laid off as a teaching assistant position, and got lucky that I got an interview in another school to become a bilingual teacher, the only thing I need is to pass this exam to be able to get transfer. I only have 7 days to study and pass. Is anyone that can help me to find the best review test, book or advice if you already had passed this test recently I will truly appreciated thanks.

Does anyone that have taken this test can tell me wish one is easer the paper base test or the computer base one???

Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Default How to pass the generalist ec-6 in Texas?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
My understanding is that the EC-4 test is being phased out for the EC-6 test. I would double check and be sure.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 AM

66 posts, read 330,574 times
If you need results quickly take the computer version. I just took my pedagogy 4-8 and ELA 4-8 and got my the next day for one and within 3 days for the other. Paper tests can take 6-8 weeks for results.

Make sure to look at the handout/practice test they provide on the website. It can give you a good idea of what to expect. Also, I took my tests at Texas State. Super nice staff that makes the experience as enjoyable as possible.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,893 times
Please give tips on how to pass the ec-6 test I took it 2x but still failed. Help!

thanks,
twinkle

Old 12-20-2011, 04:27 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle87 View Post
Please give tips on how to pass the ec-6 test I took it 2x but still failed. Help!

thanks,
twinkle
Uhm, find a new career. I don't want you teaching my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin