Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times

Advertisements

Lake Travis is not a Corps of Engineers project. See http://www.laketravis.com/history.htm for a nice history article.

LCRA owns much of the land below 715 ft. above sea levels. However several years ago LCRA began selling the land between 715 and 670 ft. Normally the uphill landowner buys the land (and certainly should). For LCRA-owned land they restrict what you can do on it. I don't believe they have generally restricted "improvements" on that land - or at least not enforced many of the restrictions.

Anytime water covers the land LCRA controls it - because it is now part of the lake, if only temporarily.

Landowners can place docks on the lake subject to LCRA rules on the dock's construction, it's need to preserve navigation, etc.

All docks on Lake Travis are floating and typically anchored via cables - both to shore and to concrete anchors resting on the bottom. The dock is moved as needed to adjust to water levels either by sliding on the cables or lengthening/shortening cables with winches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

178 posts, read 458,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Lake Travis is not a Corps of Engineers project. See http://www.laketravis.com/history.htm for a nice history article.
LOL, you can learn something new every day. Here I thought of city of Austin employees as probably holding the record for featherbedding - at least in Texas, but they're certainly no match for a federal agency - the REA in this case.

From http://www.laketravis.com/history.htm:
"He (refering to LBJ) traveled tirelessly, recruiting members for the Pedernales Electric Co-op and, when its funding was approved, convinced the REA to shorten six months of paperwork to a single day so that he could hand-deliver the good news to the people of his district."

Never having worked in a public agency, I've often wondered how employees of such managed to cram an hour's work into a full work week. The concept of one day into six month boggles the mind. Yessir, we've got real professionals in DC.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
I worked for PEC before. LCRA runs all the lakes on the Colorado.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
I don't know why the difference, but there are lots of private land and private docks on Lake Travis. Some of the land owners still own the land all the way underwater to the old river course.

I recall several years ago hearing that Lake Travis was the most dangerous lake on Texas for the number of high speed boating accidents that took place there. A web search indicates that honor may now be held by Lewisville Lake.

Hoffdano made a good point above. If you are a private land owner with a dock you have to be constantly rasing and lowering your dock as the lake level fluctuates. That can be a real pain during a heavy storm when lake levels rise drastically over a short period of time. The marina I previously kept my sailboat at on Lake Travis had to keep people there 24 hours a day during heavy rains to keep up with the rising water level.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-10-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I don't know why the difference, but there are lots of private land and private docks on Lake Travis. Some of the land owners still own the land all the way underwater to the old river course.

I recall a few years ago hearing that Lake Travis is the most dangerous lake on Texas for the number of high speed boating accidents that took place there.
As far as I know, ALL the docks on Lake Travis are privately owned except a few owned by LCRA or TPWD. I believe all marinas on LT are privately owned. All of the docks with a ski boat or PWC or just swimming platforms are placed there by the landowner uphill.

It is meaningless to own land under water. You have no useful rights when there is water over it.

As for accidents on Lake Travis - no doubt there are periodically boating accidents. Most however are not "high speed" accidents. They are moderate or low speed, and many occur in high traffic areas near marinas. And a significant number of the drownings that occur in Lake Travis occur with people on shore - not even boating.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Lake Travis is far more "citified". More housing, more shopping and restaurants, along with the city of Austin itself, are within close proximity. Because of that, it's very expensive -- some places along Lake Travis are basically wealthy suburbs of Austin.

Canyon Lake is a bit more like a retreat; as are the highland lakes up the chain from Lake Travis. Equally as nice IMO as Lake Travis, but definitely a more rural feel. Canyon Lake also has the Guadalupe river right there for tubing, rafting, or kayaking. New Braunfels is just a short distance away, but still not anything like having a big city so close like Austin.

San Antonio suburbs are growing closer to Canyon Lake, off 281, definitely looking suburban, so it's closer to a bigger city.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,519 times
Default Key question: is being 'on the water' important to you?

If you want to be able to walk out your back door and be next to the lake, then Lake Travis is the way to go. If you want to have a view, and drive to the water when you want it, then Canyon is a possibility.

I have lived on Lk Travis, and Lake Austin, and had views of both too - it's a dramatically different experience. Having people visit is part of that - if you're on the water, it's a destination for them. If you have to drive, it's like any other house, nothing special.

I find having waterfront adds $100k to $300k to the cost, depending on details.

For a quieter experience, still waterfront, consider LT out west along 71 (west from Bee Caves, south side of Austin) - the person in Spicewood is in this area. Far (by water or land) from the noisy area of LT, waterfront is an option, or view too.

Either lake can be 'view' and drive, Canyon is slightly closer to Houston, if you want the lake-in-my-backyard, have kids over to frolic, experience, LT is the better way.

Cheers, RickInAustin

Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Do people not mention Lake Buchana or Lake LBJ due to distance? I think both of those are more peaceful all around and have excellent waterfront access.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM

Lake Buchanan is indeed very peaceful and a nice place. Burnet, the nearest real town, may not satisfy many who want to be closer to a bigger city.

But it is worth considering if its location meets requirements.

LBJ doesn't have a particularly peaceful feel to it - at least not to me. It is relatively small, and the waterfront land is highly used. Maybe its the congestion driving in an and out of Marble Falls that does it to me.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM

14 posts, read 48,052 times
True Canyone lake doesnt have individual private docks, but most neighborhoods around the lake have "private neighborhood docks". But honestly having to maintain your own lake front dock in Texas when the lake levels are so crazy has its own pain. Canyon Lake is also a nice distance between Austin and San Antonio , and usually has less crowds and maintains its water levels better then Lake Travis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin