Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 AM

380 posts, read 642,608 times

Advertisements

Anybody for a round of hipster bingo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
The hipster full beard and 70's Erik Estrada CHiPS sunglasses are missing from this list. This Bingo game must not have originated in Austin.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
The hipster full beard and 70's Erik Estrada CHiPS sunglasses are missing from this list. This Bingo game must not have originated in Austin.
Or the dreaded trilby, the ultimate douchebag crown:

I thought this ultimate symbol of douchebaggery had been laid to permanent rest in the 60's. Now half the twentysomething hipsters in Austin are wearing them.

Trilbys?? Seriously??? You are that out of ideas?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Or the dreaded trilby, the ultimate douchebag crown:

I thought this ultimate symbol of douchebaggery had been laid to permanent rest in the 60's. Now half the twentysomething hipsters in Austin are wearing them.

Trilbys?? Seriously??? You are that out of ideas?
I couldn't agree more.

You know what else is crazy? In the last few years, hipsters have even moved into heavy metal music. I always thought that heavy metal was a hipster-proof genre, but I guess I was wrong. I give you Austin-based band, The Sword, as exhibit A:

YouTube - The Sword - Winter's Wolves

By the way, is it just me, or is Rio Rita quite possibly the ultimate hipster venue in Austin?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Never seen a metal band with plastic horned-rim glasses and fur-trimmed hooded jackets before. I hope I never do again.

In the meantime I'll stick with my Priest and Maiden.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Never seen a metal band with plastic horned-rim glasses and fur-trimmed hooded jackets before. I hope I never do again.

Watch out - I've seen hipsters in Austin and San Francisco wearing Iron Maiden t-shirts, too!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Old 04-16-2010, 11:39 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
You are inappropriately judgmental. And the last time I checked Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were notorious for wearing skin tight lycra and leather and long hair. That isn't that far off from the hipster look.

Quote:

Old 04-16-2010, 11:48 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:

Dude, nothing is safe. I think every era of fashion tends to look douchy in some way - especially if you are not directly part of it. And remember, skinny jeans are just denim spandex! And even Judas Priest and Maiden wore those from time to time in the 80s. Check out those pants on Steve Harris and B. Dickinson...And oh my, the red leathers on Glen Tipton!:
Attached Thumbnails
Austin hipsters-ironmaiden.006_200x.jpg   Austin hipsters-jpriest.jpg  

Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Dude, nothing is safe. I think every era of fashion tends to look douchy in some way - especially if you are not directly part of it. And remember, skinny jeans are just denim spandex! And even Judas Priest and Maiden wore those from time to time in the 80s. Check out those pants on Steve Harris and B. Dickinson...And oh my, the red leathers on Glen Tipton!:
That look hasn't changed since the 60's and 70's. For those guys its not a trend but a permanent and viable subculture, like hip hop, country, blues, etc.

The hipster trend is not only douchy but will be laughed at in 2-3 years by the same folks who themselves are now hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin