Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 36,846 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young, childless, progressives. Children arent in the plan for the next five years or so. We live in East Texas, out in the country, and we pretty much want to try somthing new and get away from the place we have lived our whole lives. I want to move to Austin, but Im not sure what area would be right for me.
I am going to school to be an elementary teacher. for now, and possibly teach college or in prisons. It is my passion to educate and be educated about the world we live in. I am concerned about the environment, helping the less fortunate, and conservation. I would also possibly be interested in a political career later on down the road. I think Austin would be a great area with suitable resources that can help me reach my full potential.
My husband is fun, adventurous, and spontaneous. He does not have a college education, and really doesn't like school. He makes up for it with ambition and hard work. He is one of the most determined people I have ever met. He is easy going, and enjoys every breath he takes (im serious, he is so optomistic) He is what i would call a modern day country boy, and enjoys hunting and fishing. Although we are moving away from the place he loves (100s of acres of forest and pasture land) he is very open to new things and adjusts very well. We have reached an agreement, and have decided to try somthing new while we are young and unattatched.

We want to experience the convenience of the city, but not be right down town. I would like my husband to be as comfortable as possible (a good mix between city life [for me] and the peacefulness of the country) We wouldnt mind having some space between neighbors, but are willing to work with what we can get. My husband has an average income of about 60,000 a year, and I always try to have some form of income while i go to school) and we would like to move somewhere affordable... actually... as cheap as we could, but still be in what would be considered a "nice, safe neighborhood". Id really like to have parks nearby and plenty of recreational activities like gyms and indoor/ outdoor recreational centers. I dont know much about the Austin area, but we wouldnt mind living 20 min or less from the city. Please help...
Thanks, Kimber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,300,586 times
It may be a little difficult to find "country" within 20 minutes of downtown Austin. Until you get about 45 minutes out (depending on direction), it is pretty built up suburb that doesn't quite get city or country right.

From what you described, I think you would do well in Hyde Park. With a combined income of 60+K you should be fine if renting. There is more than enough space there, as it is mostly single-family housing and small apartment complexes. It's safe and there are parks and several cool restaurants/shops.

You may also want to look into the South Congress or Zilker Park areas in South Austin. These places are very close to downtown and still offer enough room. It's the crunchy-granola yoga/organic part of town and probably the most democratic voting bloc in the state. Zilker Park connects to the Barton Creek Greenbelt, which is a 7.5 mile hike through wilderness that is about as genuine as you will find within an urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin