Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times

Advertisements

We have just been here for 5 months, and our apartment is not new construction. We found (or rather, our cat found) one scorpion and, when it was still warm, we had lots of little millipedes around. (The cat ate one once, and I thought she was going to throw up. Obviously it was nasty to her. After that, she just played with them - no more urge to eat them. I don't know what would have happened if she had actually been able to make contact with the scorpion - it was between a couple of boxes. She tore off part of the cover of one box, trying to get to it, but I got there first.) We had some teeny tiny ants in the kitchen when we first moved in, (so small, you had to look carefully to tell they were ants), but they didn't last. But no roaches or bigger insects. We did notice, outside, that there seemed to be a period of time in the fall when crickets were dying all around. I think we only had one in the house, though. So while we have had some critters, it has been tolerable. I have seen numerous lizards outside, and several beautiful green anoles. We have no problem with the "wildlife", but I can understand that some people might. Texas is definitely an area where all kinds of insects and other critters love to live. If that is bothersome or makes life unlivable, I think it would be best to avoid living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM

117 posts, read 347,354 times
We saw a couple of scorpions in the house after we moved in ... hard to keep them totally out. We were pretty freaked out by them, and put some glue traps by the doors. Caught a few more. Freaked out by that, too, as well as the amazing population of tiny bugs, spiders and crickets we caught in the traps, too. (Just how many of those are we NOT catching?) But it all got put in perspective when I awoke to see a 7-inch redheaded centipede dragging the glue trap down the hall with it. Those things are terrifying. I lived with palmetto bugs in Florida for years, they are nasty ... but the centipedes that are fast as hell and bite and can sting with each leg? As we say in New York, fugheddaboutit.

Between the giant roach-like katydids crawling all over our porch and deafening us in the trees, the scorpion my wife found in the utensil drawer, the spider that bit her in bed, and the centipedes ... if you're bug phobic, take it seriously. My wife? Bug phobic.

Me: "Before we moved, I told you about the spiders, scorpions and giant vicious centipedes." Her: "I thought you were kidding about that."

Disclaimer: I live in a more "natural" hill country setting. Can't wait for the first snake encounter.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
FWIW, while, yes, there are times when there are crickets seemingly everywhere around store entrances, I've never had one get on my legs or in my hair. Mostly they just crunch underfoot, but that's bad enough.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
After reading the Austin forum thread titles - y'all have some funny people moving to your city. Please keep them in Austin and away from Houston. Thank you

In general I am not bug-phobic, but centipedes do give me the creeps. But no they do not sting with each leg, although I hear they give a nasty bite, although even that is not truly a bite.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 PM

117 posts, read 347,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
But no they do not sting with each leg, although I hear they give a nasty bite, although even that is not truly a bite.
"The Texas giant centipede can inject venom into a human with its pincers but also by dropping venom from their legs as they crawl on the skin."

Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobetexan View Post
... but the centipedes that are fast as hell and bite and can sting with each leg? As we say in New York, fugheddaboutit.
It was a centipede, as pictured, that bit my younger daughter in her sleep one year. She wailed for several hours afterward. We didn't know what it was as it had hidden by the time we got in there. We thought it was a scorpion that must've got her. Called the emergency room and they told us to keep an eye on her, and told us the symptoms that might trigger bringing her in, but to otherwise just monitor her. She eventually fell asleep and was ok the next day. She was about 4 at the time.

The next night at bedtime I heard a frantic whoop from my wife as she saw the centipede crawling out of my daughter's room toward the hall. It was huge. I grabbed some metal kitchen tongs and got it. It wiggled fiercely trying to get away and I panicked and headed straight for the commode and flushed it down.

Steve

Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobetexan View Post
"The Texas giant centipede can inject venom into a human with its pincers but also by dropping venom from their legs as they crawl on the skin."
Technically we are both wrong. They truly do not "sting" with their legs. They scratch and drop venom with the legs and bite (really pinch) with the mandibles. And I was unaware of that nasty Texas giant centipede. I thought centipedes in Tx could only bite. I just looked up the Texas giant on a Texas A&M website it said they can grow to 12 inches. Holy cow!!! I can stand snakes, roaches, bats, opossums, millipedes, scorpions, any kind of spider, etc. But I hate centipedes. I was in Austin over the weekend. Glad I did not know about this until now. I recant my previous post.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I saw one of those giant centipedes out at Pedernales Falls one time, so strange looking, and it is amazing how fast they can move.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Luckily I was trained on how to handle centipedes at an early age.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin