Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What that means is unprogrammed time to explore one's own imagination, to think about the world, to climb trees, to stare at the light playing on a blade of grass for hours, to read books that aren't assigned (hard to do when school and homework take up most of the waking hours), to think about things that you aren't assigned to think about, and all the other things that we used to take for granted for children, developmental things that are just as important as puppies playing.

Scary, I realize, for a lot of folks, but important developmentally nonetheless. And big chunks of time are needed for this to get OUT of "school mode" programming where you change what you're thinking about based on a bell and a schedule, where even your play is programmed for you.
THL, I really agree with you that kids need time for this sort of thing. But I think the vast majority of kids would end up in front of a TV, computer screen, texting, etc., etc. Electronic media have robbed kids of time to just think, without electronic assistance, and parents' fears of letting the kids leave a controlled space have robbed kids of the chance to play in nature. I'm sure some kids do get the chance for free and creative play, but so, so many don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Well, there's always home school.
And 'unschooling'- where families don't follow any formal curriculum at all.

It's really a family's decision and right- and I support private/public/un/home schooling equally.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
THL, I really agree with you that kids need time for this sort of thing. But I think the vast majority of kids would end up in front of a TV, computer screen, texting, etc., etc. Electronic media have robbed kids of time to just think, without electronic assistance, and parents' fears of letting the kids leave a controlled space have robbed kids of the chance to play in nature. I'm sure some kids do get the chance for free and creative play, but so, so many don't.
But do these poor parenting choices on the part of others mean that my children should suffer an increase in the number of hours they must attend school? When I was a kid I started school at 8:30 and got out at 2:30 and I had two recesses and PE every day. Now, at least here in AISD, they start at 7:40 don't get out until 2:45, have just one recess and only do PE 1 to 2 times a week.

I know we are getting way off the original topic, so back onto it, I really do wish that places like TX which have the best outdoor months in the springtime would have its long school break during that period. Last summer all my son did was go to movies, play in doors and go to the pool.

This year we decided to buck the system and pull him out of school for the spring and he had a great time playing outside and going to the park daily. It was really good for him.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I suspect (don't have proof, but I really do think this is the case) that our society's emphasis on programmed lives that must be busy busy busy every moment feeds into this. Rather than exploring their imagination, which they have not had the opportunity to learn to do, being put in school at a very early age and having activities scheduled from pre-K on, of course they turn to something programmed (TV and other electronics).

In other words, it's more than electronic media (which, when you get right down to it, is an inanimate tool that it takes people to misuse) that's causing the problem. It's our entire "quicker, better, faster, busier" (the "New Busy", anyone?) approach to life that's the problem. And what I'm advocating is to not try to solve the problem by getting MORE of that (year round schooling), but to take a deep breath, step back, and allow little ones more time without that (yep, parenting, go figure, they don't HAVE to have computers and toys that do their playing for them from earliest childhood) to learn how to use their own imaginations and have some defense against it.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
I think that those proposing year round school are not proposing more classroom hours, just a different distribution of the hours.
That would void many of the arguments made here against year round schools.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
But not the argument that big chunks of time are needed simply to get OUT of the "school mindset" as it is currently practiced. It also gives the schools a claim on our children all year round, and I don't think that's a very good idea, based on what I've seen over 30 years of raising kids.

There's reasons that homeschooling is becoming more and more popular, and why the number of private schools is burgeoning. A lot of them have to do with the schools' attitudes that those are not our children, they are THEIR children and we're just supposed to make sure they show up at school and do hours of homework every night.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
But not the argument that big chunks of time are needed simply to get OUT of the "school mindset" as it is currently practiced. It also gives the schools a claim on our children all year round, and I don't think that's a very good idea, based on what I've seen over 30 years of raising kids.

There's reasons that homeschooling is becoming more and more popular, and why the number of private schools is burgeoning. A lot of them have to do with the schools' attitudes that those are not our children, they are THEIR children and we're just supposed to make sure they show up at school and do hours of homework every night.
I don't think it's the fault of the schools, though. They're doing their job, one that's mandated to them by the government.

And oftentimes, especially in private schools, they are at the whim of parents who do indeed want everything to go further, faster. I'm afraid people like you and me who remember learning and developing an imagination in a natural setting (i.e. nature!) are in the minority. Or maybe we are the silent majority.

I hear plenty of parents whose children are in local private schools complaining about the pressures that other parents are placing on their private school to accelerate learning, sometimes beyond what is developmentally appropriate. Some kids can rise to the demands, but it can come at a cost. Even for those with advanced skills and abilities, I can't help but wonder what they are passing by that they really should be experiencing at that moment in their lives.

Many alternative schools are springing up, and I'm glad to see it. I'm a big fan of that. Schools that meet three days per week...parents are free to take their children out in the community or home to enrich learning and enjoy time with family for more days in the week than the children are in school. I think those things are important.

However, in defense of schools and teachers, I also know how difficult it is to meet those TEKS objectives over the course of a school year. They are held accountable in the classroom and in the press, and if the objectives aren't met and children score poorly on the TAKS, it is all over the news.

We express concern about school performance ratings in this very forum, sometimes steering people toward schools that are rated exemplary. We seem to put a lot of stock in those scores and standards. It is often the basis for the neighborhood where we buy our homes and where we advise others to buy.

I, too, have raised children for over 30 years, still have one in school and I've seen it from both sides. As a parent, I've been exasperated at the demands of the schools, both public and private, and the attitudes of other parents in each. As someone in education in both public and private schools, I've experienced the pressure to make it happen. In my experience, the pressure for more homework will most likely come from the parents. One of the most common complaints I've heard from parents about any given teacher is that "she doesn't give enough homework", comparing that teacher to another who assigns a great deal of it.

Last edited by capcat; 06-09-2010 at 11:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
It's our entire "quicker, better, faster, busier" (the "New Busy", anyone?) approach to life that's the problem. And what I'm advocating is to not try to solve the problem by getting MORE of that (year round schooling), but to take a deep breath, step back, and allow little ones more time without that (yep, parenting, go figure, they don't HAVE to have computers and toys that do their playing for them from earliest childhood) to learn how to use their own imaginations and have some defense against it.
So true. And no, I am not advocating for more hours in school, but doing just as you have said - taking a breather from the busyness. And I also agree with Capcat about homework. I always look back on my childhood years, which were characterized by great educational opportunities, and during which, other than reading, I had almost no homework. I honestly don't understand why so much homework is required now or why parents equate lots of homework with good education. I believe that reading, creative play, time in nature and time to think are much more important than worksheets. I actually remember asking my son, when he was in grade school, if he wanted to play baseball (in addition to soccer and boy scouts), and he said "no, I need time to think." And that worked out just fine.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
And 'unschooling'- where families don't follow any formal curriculum at all.

It's really a family's decision and right- and I support private/public/un/home schooling equally.
*agree*

We did it.

Summer is hot, but we manage. We do school year-round but we have a short week and a light desk-work schedule. If it's too hot we read, read, read (they enjoy it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: