Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,022 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling from the US to Australia for the first time in my life this December. I plan to fly on Qantas from Chicago O'Hare to Sydney.

I'm trying to use the Qantas website in order to book my round-trip flight.

The problem is that it won't allow me to select my seats for my flights during my booking.

I don't wish to check-in online 24 hours before my flight, and be assigned the dregs of what's left of the seats. I really would prefer a window seat.

So how can I go about selecting my seat for my flights to and from Australia?

Should I book my flight and then call up Qantas to select my seat?

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Is there anyone here who has flown on Qantas that could provide me with some information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
I'm traveling from the US to Australia for the first time in my life this December. I plan to fly on Qantas from Chicago O'Hare to Sydney.

The problem is that it won't allow me to select my seats for my flights during my booking.

I don't wish to check-in online 24 hours before my flight, and be assigned the dregs of what's left of the seats. I really would prefer a window seat.

Is there anyone here who has flown on Qantas that could provide me with some information?
When I've flown Qantas internationally an agent has booked my ticket for me.

Domestically I fly Qantas every 2 weeks or so.
Can only check in online 24 hours prior.

Try calling Qantas - am sure someone will be able to assist.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
I'm almost certain you can only check-in online 24 hours beforehand, at the earliest. Unless you're some sort of Premium frequent flyer member. I know what you mean, being left with the dregs and window-seats are nice for long flights so you can lean up against the window. I haven't got a window seat in the past 10 years of flying to North America. We always get the middle row, and it's often full.

Like Ozgal says, ring them up. Good luck with that, and come back and let us know what they tell you. I'd be interested to know too!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Wow, Chicago to Sydney, that's a long flight!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 AM

Must stop somewhere ??? Hope so. Nightmarishly long, otherwise!

Worst for me was Singapore to Frankfurt. I think it was about 14 hours or so. Not sure exactly how long, trying to erase that experience from my mind. The toilets were disgusting by the end of it.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Worst for me was Singapore to Frankfurt. I think it was about 14 hours or so. Not sure exactly how long, trying to erase that experience from my mind. The toilets were disgusting by the end of it.
always, always wear closed toe shoes on a long haul flight.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
always, always wear closed toe shoes on a long haul flight.
Ewwwww! Yet you see some people go in the toilet wearing just those socks the airlines give you in the little goodie-bags. (No emoticon for "barf!")

Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 AM

279 posts, read 673,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post

Unfortunately you cannot select your seats ahead of time in economy. Your options are to either ring Qantas (like others have suggested) or turn up at the airport early and be one of the first in line when check-in opens so you have a greater selection of seats, before everyone else turns up.
Even this wont guarantee you get the seats you want. Frequent flyers (even in economy) get preferred treatment. It's surprising to find out what goes on behind the scenes. They keep a history of your likes and dislikes, seat preference, etc and the more you fly, the more often your preferences are met.
Different for business and first, they allow you to select your seats (and just about anything else you want) ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You'll find the flight will stop in San Francisco or Los Angeles and this sector will be operated by United or American Airlines. You then change planes and board Qantas (from SF or LA) to Sydney.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
I think every time I have flown Qantas, I have always got my seat assignment at the gate.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Step one, before booking anything, sign up for a Qantas or American Airlines frequent flier number. If you have one already, you're ahead of the game. I'd go with American since you're more likely to redeem the miles, but for a trip that long, you'll almost have enough miles from the single trip for a free domestic flight.

Secondly check with a travel agent. Just a quick check of Expedia let me select seats for all the legs from ORD to SYD, so while Qantas' site may not let you do it, you can obviously get advanced seat selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand