Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times

Advertisements

Yes, I find KMart, Target, and Big W almost the same - although I'd say KMart just edges out Target, and so on. Amazing there's room in our relatively small consumer market for all three but they're always busy around here. They're pretty ugly stores to shop in. Stark lighting, utilitarian interior, no service on the floor (or if there is, I've never seen it). And checkout is a long ordeal, although they're starting to change that.

I tend to avoid all three unless I'm desperate for something in there. But the last time I bought some clothes at Target, I found the quality pretty bad. It's the fabrics they use. I don't know if anyone else notices it, or it's just me since I've always sewn and been interested in fabrics. I find you have to go to a higher price level to get clothes made from fabrics that aren't raggy junk with poor colour fastness. Target in the US had better fabrics. Pretty much any store there did. I've got US Target basic tees that have lasted for years through many washes. And I believe I only paid about $7 for them.

Last edited by Vichel; 12-23-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Here's Kmart Stores in America

In america we have different types of Kmarts. We have the Big Kmart, Kmart, and Super Kmart.

This is how Kmart stores look today

Pictures of Big Kmart

Super Kmart

This is how Kmart looked when the original stores opened

Logos

from 1962-1990

from 1990-2004

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Kmart1990slogoPNG.PNG/760px-Kmart1990slogoPNG.PNG (broken link)

from 2004-present

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/20/Kmart_logo.svg/250px-Kmart_logo.svg.png (broken link)

Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
In the USA back in the 1980's KMart was a pretty happenin' deal at the time and then somehow they just tore themselves to pieces. I've been a few in recent years and it's still 1977 in there and way out of date with everything very disorganized and a mess.

Wal Mart is considered low end, but the nice thing with super walmarts, especially if open 24 hours a day, you can get everything you need to survive for a while if you have to. Many times in this one isolated town I work in, at 10 PM or 6 AM, I've needed to buy everything from new boots to thermal underwear to bottled water to computer equipment to pepto bismal to car parts and Wal Mart is always there. A lot of the leftist kooks like to slam Wal Mart as some evil wretched corporation(they've been successful), but the fact is for many small rural communities Wal Mart provides a very useful service.

Target is considered the higher end market and stats show that Target shoppers have a higher per household income than Wal Mart shoppers and so Target tries to be more quality, slightly more expensive than Wal Mart.

As I understand it, Target and K Mart down under have nothing to do with the parent companies, the name is simply licensed every year for a fee.

Last time I was in NZ, US Airways was too lazy to take my bag over to Qantas so I landed in NZ without clothes. I went to K Mart in North Auckland somewhere and I gotta say the jeans I bought were about the cheapest piece of clothing I have ever seen. I've never seen anything that bad on sale in the USA.

For being really cheap, I'd say The Warehouse in NZ takes the cake. I'd say most of the stuff in there is completely worthless and I wont be going there unless I absolutely have to. The one that took the cake for me was the sign on the door in Rotorua that they had turned off the air con to save the planet from global warming, so instead you get to shop in a boiling hot steam bath. Obviously if they are that clueless about how big the earth is compared to their silly little store and how the climate works, they would be clueless about anything else. I wont be giving them my money.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 PM

359 posts, read 658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I looked at the town you stated as your location on Google Street View, and where I live looks similar to that. I live in a small city about 500 km west of Dallas. Dallas isn't hilly, but it's not completely flat either, and it's in an area where prairie is transitioning to forest.
Does it. (look similar.) A visitor from Wyoming once said around here (the Wimmera of Victoria) reminded her of Texas. So there you go.

Very curious as to what street you would find at Riachella, though. It's just a locality. Few farms and a disused tennis court.

(I was going to try to use google street view but the kids have used up this month broadband and we are now shaped. To hard to download graphics.)

Texas looks pretty spick and span. Ah, the dream of travel.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Kmart has 1,327 stores
Kmart Australia has 186 stores

Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 PM

497 posts, read 983,193 times
I've seen some stand alone Targets in Australia, but a lot of them are in shopping malls. There's Country Targets here too. They're smaller and mainly carry clothing and manchester, but for a town, it's better than nothing and they can order anything in.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, I find KMart, Target, and Big W almost the same - although I'd say KMart just edges out Target, and so on. Amazing there's room in our relatively small consumer market for all three but they're always busy around here. They're pretty ugly stores to shop in. Stark lighting, utilitarian interior, no service on the floor (or if there is, I've never seen it). And checkout is a long ordeal, although they're starting to change that.

I tend to avoid all three unless I'm desperate for something in there. But the last time I bought some clothes at Target, I found the quality pretty bad. It's the fabrics they use. I don't know if anyone else notices it, or it's just me since I've always sewn and been interested in fabrics. I find you have to go to a higher price level to get clothes made from fabrics that aren't raggy junk with poor colour fastness. Target in the US had better fabrics. Pretty much any store there did. I've got US Target basic tees that have lasted for years through many washes. And I believe I only paid about $7 for them.
Target carries some semi-decent clothing brands like Piping Hot and Diadora, but the in-house stuff isn't that good.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 PM

The Target Stores in Dallas,Texas, USA has huge shopping centers around them. They also have other big stores located in the shopping center like the Best Buy, Michaels, Sports Authority, etc

Here's a Target store in Dallas on Google maps. The store is stand alone, but a shopping center will be built around it.

Google Maps

Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 AM

148 posts, read 323,274 times
One of the biggest differences I see between US Target/Kmart and the Aussie ones is that in Australia, we never seem to mix our supermarkets with anything else!

Also are the US Targets open 24-7? My local Target is usually only open til 7pm.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
One of the biggest differences I see between US Target/Kmart and the Aussie ones is that in Australia, we never seem to mix our supermarkets with anything else!

Also are the US Targets open 24-7? My local Target is usually only open til 7pm.
Target isn't 24 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand