Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think people have to think down the road. China is showing signs of wanting the USA out of the Pacific and over the next few decades could push to dominate the area and by doing so dominate it's politics.

Nobody knows, but no one in 1910 really grasped that Japan would rise as it did and by 1942 be the dominate power in the Pacific.

I think you always have to be prepared, proactive and vigilant and New Zealand and Australia just can't sit there and expect that the USA will always come to their rescue or that we even should.

The USA gets taken for granted by a lot of countries.
My wool comment was a joke. It is common knowledge that China is pushing to extend its influence, starting with SE Asia. And that the influence of the US as a global power is waning, and rightfully so.

I don't think the US gets taken for granted. You cant easily take for granted the sole global power.

People should be prepared for a future without the US as a global powerhouse. If they thought US foreign relations are a joke (support dictators while urging democracy) are in for a shock once China is top dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM

93 posts, read 348,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
My wool comment was a joke. It is common knowledge that China is pushing to extend its influence, starting with SE Asia. And that the influence of the US as a global power is waning, and rightfully so.

I don't think the US gets taken for granted. You cant easily take for granted the sole global power.

People should be prepared for a future without the US as a global powerhouse. If they thought US foreign relations are a joke (support dictators while urging democracy) are in for a shock once China is top dog.
Agreed!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
And the best place to raise a family in Oz

Brisbane
Adelaide
?

Trying to get us back on topic

Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think people have to think down the road. China is showing signs of wanting the USA out of the Pacific and over the next few decades could push to dominate the area and by doing so dominate it's politics.

Nobody knows, but no one in 1910 really grasped that Japan would rise as it did and by 1942 be the dominate power in the Pacific.

I think you always have to be prepared, proactive and vigilant and New Zealand and Australia just can't sit there and expect that the USA will always come to their rescue or that we even should.

The USA gets taken for granted by a lot of countries.
whoa. ease up.

Our rescue - ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
And the best place to raise a family in Oz

Brisbane
Adelaide
?

Trying to get us back on topic
I would say Brisbane.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
whoa. ease up.

Our rescue - ??

I would say Brisbane.
Why Brisbane over Adalaide?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
Why Brisbane over Adalaide?
no real reason...I've spent more time in Brisbane... maybe more work opportunities, etc.

Where do you think?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
no real reason...I've spent more time in Brisbane... maybe more work opportunities, etc.

Where do you think?
Not sure yet. Still weighing all the pros and cons.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
Not sure yet. Still weighing all the pros and cons.
ha! you're the OP

I think Brisbane is a good place to raise a family... Adelaide would be as well.. however, I just feel like I'd prefer Brisbane over Adelaide.

I didn't catch what you do for a living ~ ?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Job opportunities might be better in Brisbane than Adelaide. Isn't S.A. a struggler, not much better than Tassie? Pretty sure I read that S.A. suffered more than flood-stricken Queensland, economy-wise.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM

387 posts, read 870,787 times
Quote:
ha! you're the OP

I think Brisbane is a good place to raise a family... Adelaide would be as well.. however, I just feel like I'd prefer Brisbane over Adelaide.

I didn't catch what you do for a living ~ ?
Brisbane is nice but it's really bogan. This alone would be the #1 negative feature of Brisbane. Added to the total bogan population are hoardes of Kiwi bogans who have moved there.
Adelaide might be a better choice ....especially if they are foodies and like the countryside.
Sydney if they have heaps of money and love the harbour
Melbourne if they like a bit of European culture and want four seasons
Perth if they are beach people and don't mind more bogans plus all the nouveau riche
Tasmania if they don't mind worse weather than NZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand