Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Oh dear that article is a shocking piece of journalism, I might start a new thread to discuss rather than a thread hijack.
Good Idea, you might as well attack the Commercial Channels journalism in general, it's uniformly awful, along with basically every News Corp Publication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
streetcar/trolley/tram are synonymous terms. Light rail is not the same. Melbourne, Sydney, Philadelphia, Toronto, San Francisco, Milan, etc all have streetcars. The Gold Coast, San Diego, Portland, San Francisco, Boston all have light rail lines (or are building them).

I would argue that the utility of the Brisbane system isn't actually better . . . and ridership is irrelevant. Where it takes you and the lifestyle it allows is much more important. For the sake of argument I'll concede that, sure, Brisbane's system is bigger than the cities you mentioned. But it's not better than Portland, Seattle, Denver, Salt Lake City, etc. and in the context of absolutes like "Australian cities have better transit than American cities" well, it's just not true.
I never claimed that. My claim was Australian cities of comparable size have better transit than US cities. I've been to cities such as San Diego, Austin, Nashville and the transit there seemed almost non-existent. Of course I haven't spent enough time in those cities to really know how well the system serves them, but I have spent a lot of time in Brissie and had no problems with the public transport there.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Is Australia more like North America or the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I know ya'll Aussies drive on the left side of the road like Brits do, and the biggest sport is Cricket. But it seems like the American culture has a strong influence on Australian culture in the last 50 years.

Looking at Google Maps of Australian cities. The architecture and layout of Australian suburbs look similar to American suburbs. And most of what Australians watch on TV are American TV Shows.

So are Aussies more culturally similar to North America or the UK?
I am an American so take this with a grain of salt but I personally think Australia has qualities from both the UK and America, which actually makes her fairly unique.

Culturally Australia seems more similar to the UK and Aussies seem to be less individualistic than Americans. But at the same time, Australia does have a similar pioneer-settler history like America and also physically the wide open spaces of Australia does resemble the United States more than England, especially the western United States.

Regarding Australia and Canada

I have always wondered why Australia has States while Canada still uses the colonial sounding word Provinces. I am not sure why this is but maybe this is because Canada wants to emphasize the differences between Canada and the United States, while Australia feels more confident in its own identity?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Regarding Australia and Canada

I have always wondered why Australia has States while Canada still uses the colonial sounding word Provinces. I am not sure why this is but maybe this is because Canada wants to emphasize the differences between Canada and the United States, while Australia feels more confident in its own identity?
I'd say that it's due to different influences. Canada probably chose to call them provinces, due to it's French influence? Whereas Australia has been heavily influenced by the United States and followed suit, by calling them states.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
I'd say that it's due to different influences. Canada probably chose to call them provinces, due to it's French influence? Whereas Australia has been heavily influenced by the United States and followed suit, by calling them states.
The word province in Canada actually appeared after it became a British colony.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM

159 posts, read 263,700 times
"the US is all about the individual."

Hard to tell with all the foriegn aid we give around the world and how much individuals give to charity, our poor people give more of what they dont have to charity than other countries rich. dont drink the kool-aid it will rot your brain!!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:54 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Canada didn't federate the same way Australia did. All of the Australian states had a referendum and decided to become one country in 1901. The states were already formed and distinct and independent of one another.

Canada confederated in the 1860s but originally, was just Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. It annexed the other provinces from the UK more or less one at a time but they didn't have their current boundaries back then. Canada as a whole didn't have its present-day boundaries until 1949 when it annexed Newfoundland and Labrador.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Superficial cultural differences - Halloween.

It's a pretty big deal in North America, Ireland and even parts of the UK.

Also, I recently noticed that April Fool's Day doesn't seem to be as big a deal as it is in the States.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Superficial cultural differences - Halloween.

It's a pretty big deal in North America, Ireland and even parts of the UK.

Also, I recently noticed that April Fool's Day doesn't seem to be as big a deal as it is in the States.
What about Valentine's Day compared to the States?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
The comments on transit use and coverage in Australia are interesting.

If urban Australia is as sprawly and auto-oriented as US cities, what accounts for the heavier transit usage and better coverage in Australia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand