Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,108 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm back from California one of the main things that strikes me is that customer service over there was so good compared with Sydney.

Here customer service is absolutely appualing! Rude, sub par service and extremly expensive!

The other things over there was that the people seemed less agressive, for example driving in Sydney people are very agressive, over there nobody gave me the shi*s! In sysney rudeness an violence is like a cultural norm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,767 times
I agree. When I lived in Sydney and other cities, I've noticed the same thing too. The waiters/retail, etc. staff here get paid decent money and they don't care about Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction! The work ethic is just not as high here.

Road rage is growing daily, it's shocking!

The restaurants waiters in the USA are lower minimum wage and seem to work harder to get the tips.

IMO, customer service is of a higher level and there are more polite people in the USA then anywhere in Australia. I speak from experience as I am a Trainer and cover Customer Service for a number of different Australian industries and find the attitudes are indifferent to really making sure clients are satisfied.

Last edited by back2M; 04-13-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Yes! Those earning minimum wage should grovel at my feet and serve me!

Seriously, I've had fabulous service, and crappy service.

OP : where did you have bad service?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:16 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Now that I'm back from California one of the main things that strikes me is that customer service over there was so good compared with Sydney.

Here customer service is absolutely appualing! Rude, sub par service and extremly expensive!

The other things over there was that the people seemed less agressive, for example driving in Sydney people are very agressive, over there nobody gave me the shi*s! In sysney rudeness an violence is like a cultural norm!
Firs time i heard australian drivers are more aggresive then American..ever been to chicago or nyc easily the top 30 cities in the world for aggressive driving.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Firs time i heard australian drivers are more aggresive then American..ever been to chicago or nyc easily the top 30 cities in the world for aggressive driving.
But California is the car capital of the world, although the driving skills are rubbish, but road wasn't there considering the number of cars on the road!

Go to Sydney and see what I mean, the roads are dangerous! Not only are the roads themselves so small running at overcapacity, but people are violent on te roads in sydney!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
I agree. When I lived in Sydney and other cities, I've noticed the same thing too. The waiters/retail, etc. staff here get paid decent money and they don't care about Customer Service and Customer Satisfaction! The work ethic is just not as high here.

Road rage is growing daily, it's shocking!

The restaurants waiters in the USA are lower minimum wage and seem to work harder to get the tips.

IMO, customer service is of a higher level and there are more polite people in the USA then anywhere in Australia. I speak from experience as I am a Trainer and cover Customer Service for a number of different Australian industries and find the attitudes are indifferent to really making sure clients are satisfied.
Yeah that's what I mean, the workers in Australia are well paid, but they are lazy and simply aren't bothered and so they simply do less than the bare minimum. I guess you have 'Fair Work' to thank for!

The problem is Australia is that everyone has this false sense of entitlement. And far too many boat people these days.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yes! Those earning minimum wage should grovel at my feet and serve me!

Seriously, I've had fabulous service, and crappy service.

OP : where did you have bad service?
Its not a matter of where or when. But in general the customer service and everything across all industries just sucks in Sydney.

And when I got back from California it made for a great contrast!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,086 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what I mean, the workers in Australia are well paid, but they are lazy and simply aren't bothered and so they simply do less than the bare minimum. I guess you have 'Fair Work' to thank for!

The problem is Australia is that everyone has this false sense of entitlement. And far too many boat people these days.
Australian hospitality workers have never in any recent era had to rely on additional income from tips, as they've been entitled to at least the minimum wage under successive governments. The Fair Work Act hasn't fundamentally changed how these workers have been paid so fail to see it's guilt for causing the poor work ethic you claim is prevalent.

Most service staff I come across here are friendly enough and do their job well, and rarely have I come across staff who are straight to your face rude. I suppose we all have different expectations and perceptions.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM

60 posts, read 252,884 times
California is all about consumerism with all stores catering to people spending as much as they can in a way. We have the most lenient return policies around so that people buy more stuff than they need on the premise they can return some stuff when they get home and figure out what they want.
As some retailers have found in the US it is customer service that wins and have fallen by the wayside due to lack of this.
This scenario has moved into online retailing with "the king" AMAZON.COM having a very lenient return policy here.

Also, as mentioned, we have a very low min wage at around $7 and a society that accepts that along with having to tip those workers to make up the difference. This is also why many things are cheaper here due to lower wage costs for companies in some areas.

Finally, I would say California drivers are better than most in the US, just go drive in Texas where people rarely obey any rules and big rigs will run you off the road, or Florida where they just don't care or are too old to be driving :P

Road rage occurs here but as with any large city that is hectic and pushing the limits you are likely to see it. Having read how busy Sydney is nowadays it does not surprise me to read about this. One of the many reason we are considering Melbourne over Sydney if we move later this year.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:

Should have put that in your OP. It would have saved me time from responding to idiotic assertions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand