Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You are good for a laugh. Thank you.

No one ever shouted you a beer did they troubadour. That's your genesis story isn't it.
You do a perfect imitation of a suburban housewife. Though in similar circumstances, God forbid. I'd likely be attempting to relief the dreaded humdrumness, that is part and parcel of such existence, by attempting to buy a beer for the odd stranger, as well, be that tourist or migrant, who took a wrong turning, ending up in your far flung neck of the woods.

Buying a beer for a stranger is not usually the done thing in this day and age. Almost as rare as conversation that holds one's interest or getting over shyness to speak with someone not known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You do a perfect imitation of a suburban housewife. Though in similar circumstances, God forbid. I'd likely be attempting to relief the dreaded humdrumness, that is part and parcel of such existence, by attempting to buy a beer for the odd stranger, as well, be that tourist or migrant, who took a wrong turning, ending up in your far flung neck of the woods.

Buying a beer for a stranger is not usually the done thing in this day and age. Almost as rare as conversation that holds one's interest or getting over shyness to speak with someone not known.
You just need to mix with more friendly and interesting people. That will help you emerge from this sea of negativity you are in.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
You just need to mix with more friendly and interesting people. That will help you emerge from this sea of negativity you are in.
Always a pleasure to read your little gems of wisdom Etna. I don't often get an outer suburban take these days, I must say.
Not a problem with interesting people in the main, but most all are foreigners that hold similar views, funnily enough or the few well travelled Australians that (wait for it) possess a sense of humour together with something of interest to say. . Sadly though too many give up as just too hard and move back.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Always a pleasure to read your little gems of wisdom Etna. I don't often get an outer suburban take these days, I must say.
Not a problem with interesting people in the main, but most all are foreigners that hold similar views, funnily enough or the few well travelled Australians that (wait for it) possess a sense of humour together with something of interest to say. . Sadly though too many give up as just too hard and move back.
Haha why am I not surprised you have no diversity of views surrounding you. I can just imagine the weekend BBQ. As I mentioned another time, like attracts like.....

While not a suburban dweller myself, I certainly don't consider myself better than they are. Why do you?

Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Haha why am I not surprised you have no diversity of views surrounding you. I can just imagine the weekend BBQ. As I mentioned another time, like attracts like.....

While not a suburban dweller myself, I certainly don't consider myself better than they are. Why do you?
So you term Right Wing, libertarian views as not divisive? Odd conclusion that one.
No smart people attract smart people. People not possessing fixed views on people due to differences, while feeling fully at ease in their company, funnily enough, such a persona tends to attract a diverse range of people, that actually enjoy to communicate without being judged or simply overwhelmed by boredom .

You are the one mentioning better. The answer lays in difference. Different projections in living life, to which the Australian suburbia, falls short for me. It attracts some and repels others. Hardly anything new in that, but I realise you are again attempting point scoring.
Understandable, considering you are so far behind.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
So you term Right Wing, libertarian views as not divisive? Odd conclusion that one.
No smart people attract smart people. People not possessing fixed views on people due to differences, while feeling fully at ease in their company, funnily enough, such a persona tends to attract a diverse range of people, that actually enjoy to communicate without being judged or simply overwhelmed by boredom .

You are the one mentioning better. The answer lays in difference. Different projections in living life, to which the Australian suburbia, falls short for me. It attracts some and repels others. Hardly anything new in that, but I realise you are again attempting point scoring.
Understandable, considering you are so far behind.
More comedy gold in the bold sections. Irony overload.

Except for the poor people in the suburbs right? They're not worthy of your time.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
More comedy gold in the bold sections. Irony overload.

Except for the poor people in the suburbs right? They're not worthy of your time.

Actually the Blue Rinse Brigade , to which you'd be very familiar with, are good for a laugh. You shouldn't really attempt to belittle the message, a common tactic of yours, with diversions attempting to cover over the sort of person you portray online to be.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,285 times
People can go on about an "accent being just an accent", but our eyes and our ears want to see and hear pleasing things and the Australian accent is NOT pleasing in any way, shape or form, it is UGLY! The American accent is VERY pleasing, especially the Southern drawl, I love it! So I only listen to American films/documentaries. Just imagine great films like Ben Hurr spoken in Australian?! It would KILL it! Or imagine Elvis, the "King", speaking "Aussie", yuck! He was a "US Male", is what I like! I am not Australian but am stuck living here (especialy now with travel restrictions!) but would like to leave as I hate everything "Aussie", especially the ugly accent which I am forced to hear every day! Winston Churchill couldn't of said it better and is EXACTLY how I feel.... Winston Churchill called Australian English “the most brutal maltreatment that has ever been inflicted on the mother-tongue of the great English-speaking nations” That SUMS IT UP!

Old 04-11-2021, 12:11 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Oh thank you very kindly. I am sorry you dislike the way we speak and everything else about the country.
People who are not Australian citizens are free to leave, as far as I know.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Oh thank you very kindly. I am sorry you dislike the way we speak and everything else about the country.
People who are not Australian citizens are free to leave, as far as I know.
Don't be so sensitive. The poster writes how they find the accent. Hard to disagree. At its worst, it's hard to bear in awfulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand