Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:57 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contessa3553 View Post
People can go on about an "accent being just an accent", but our eyes and our ears want to see and hear pleasing things and the Australian accent is NOT pleasing in any way, shape or form, it is UGLY! The American accent is VERY pleasing, especially the Southern drawl, I love it! So I only listen to American films/documentaries. Just imagine great films like Ben Hurr spoken in Australian?! It would KILL it! Or imagine Elvis, the "King", speaking "Aussie", yuck! He was a "US Male", is what I like! I am not Australian but am stuck living here (especialy now with travel restrictions!) but would like to leave as I hate everything "Aussie", especially the ugly accent which I am forced to hear every day! Winston Churchill couldn't of said it better and is EXACTLY how I feel.... Winston Churchill called Australian English “the most brutal maltreatment that has ever been inflicted on the mother-tongue of the great English-speaking nations” That SUMS IT UP!
Do you find all Aussie accents equally grating? I recall how especially awful ones stood out in London. Like they were licking sand paper or some such ill defined thing.
At least your children, if applicable, will be unlikely to be burdened by having one. But there is such a thing as a 'cultivated' accent. In minority, but does exist. I seem to recall though it was in greater numbers a few generations back when news presenters and the like spoke it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 01:00 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Don't be so sensitive. The poster writes how they find the accent. Hard to disagree. At its worst, it's hard to bear in awfulness.
Best for people to criticise what we have some control over. Accents are picked up from your spoken environment and are difficult to change once people turn about 12. I did not go around whinging to my MIL about how awful her accent was in English or how bad my FIL’s grammar was.

The poster says they are stuck here despite not being Aussie. Anyone without PR or citizenship is free to leave whenever they like.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Best for people to criticise what we have some control over. Accents are picked up from your spoken environment and are difficult to change once people turn about 12. I did not go around whinging to my MIL about how awful her accent was in English or how bad my FIL’s grammar was.

The poster says they are stuck here despite not being Aussie. Anyone without PR or citizenship is free to leave whenever they like.
Well maybe not under present world circumstances. With regards the Aussie accent, one can 'refine' it for want of another term. I've met loads of people from Australia over the years who worked, Decided to remain in England, in the process developed an English accent. Mostly women though I admit. One can obviously have an Aussie accent and not sound awful. It takes a little practice and getting rid of 'laziness' in cases how it sounds to me.
Coming from another country having an accent is an entirely different thing. Usually the person makes an effort, but in that sense I agree. If learning a language later in life, it is unlikely to lose an accent from home country. That can work to one's advantage, or apparently to your ear sound awful At least the person is trying.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I've always enjoyed hearing Australians speak. They are usually fun people.

I'm happy to be an American, but if I had to choose a new location, it would be Australia (if they would let me in LOL).

I've been there twice and love it! New Zealand would be my next choice.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:59 AM

Quite a difference holidaying and living though. I recall ages ago, Americans were a high returnee group among immigrants to OZ.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:24 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Don't be so sensitive. The poster writes how they find the accent. Hard to disagree. At its worst, it's hard to bear in awfulness.
While the poster is an obvious troll (and you shouldn't respond to trolls, I got an infraction for doing so a couple of days ago...) I agree with you troubes, it is hard to argue with what another person finds pleasing. I too rule out movies or TV based on accents that annoy me.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
While the poster is an obvious troll (and you shouldn't respond to trolls, I got an infraction for doing so a couple of days ago...) I agree with you troubes, it is hard to argue with what another person finds pleasing. I too rule out movies or TV based on accents that annoy me.
I've no idea, as I've been accused of being one of these creatures myself. I think the word/term is far to loosely put about and in cases destroys good threads.
I guess most anyone, tongue in cheek, could be termed a troll? How about those playing devils advocate? Surely there are limitations as to the how 'serious' we need to be all the time.
I gave up on UK platform for reasons given. Not a fan of those with the powers to exclude, to enter a dialogue, then place a sanction when suits.

As for accents. Some Aussie accents simply annoy me. (in an irritating sort of way, more so women, with that gravelly voice) It's not the only accent, but the most irritating to my ears among the worlds English speaking accents. Just a personal view miss the great diversity of speech in UK.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:35 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
I dont like the posh eastern suburbs accent, or that grotesque bastardised american sounding accent that some younger people have. Everything else is fine with me. The Australian accent tends to rate amongst the highest when given a list of accents, in various polls. NZ is up there too.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I dont like the posh eastern suburbs accent, or that grotesque bastardised american sounding accent that some younger people have. Everything else is fine with me. The Australian accent tends to rate amongst the highest when given a list of accents, in various polls. NZ is up there too.
Come westside no coming the dogs dinner over here. We say what is needed through clenched teeth (to save swallowing flies, besides not a lot to say) don't give a cold 4X what others think of it ( well pretend not to but really quite desperate for any compliment) Then clutch at straws at some usually American survey that suggests we have among the best of English language accents. That's after convincing ourselves we're the friendliest of people living in the best country in the world. All purely dilutional of course, but reality often confuses need in such a remote corner of the earth.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:03 AM

4 posts, read 3,279 times
Quote:
Totally agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand