Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,828,491 times

Advertisements

I live in Footscray, an established inner suburb 5km west of Melbourne's CBD. I was rather surprised to encounter a possum on my street not once but twice so far, both times as I was walking home late at night. It was climbing up a tree, then climbed down, where I got a good look at it, before it climbed another tree. Just a common brushtail. The area has only moderate tree cover, and not that tall, but we're close to a park. It's kinda cool they live in the inner suburbs though...it seems they're more likely found in established suburbs, or those near bushland, than the newer ones.

What about where you live? Tell us the suburb you live in and give a bit of a description of what it's like, especially with regards to possible possum habitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,927,200 times
I worked in East Melbourne some time ago on the late shift, approaching the traffic lights 11.00pm a possum was crossing the road on the crossing.
I lived in Rosebud for a few years plenty of ringtail possums I that area.
I now live in the bush in Tasmania, plenty of them here they are quite a large species, when they are on the roof at night you would think they were wearing boots, the noise they make.

Last edited by cushla; 09-09-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,723,258 times
It hasn't been too bad for possums here for the last few years, but the funding for poisoning in this area is drying up, so the numbers are coming back rapidly. I would have got about 40-50 this year. NZ had about 80 million possums at one stage, but the numbers are only about half that now. It used to be good money doing skins, but demand is no longer high, so possum control isn't self funding any more.

We always had pet possums as kids (inevitably called "Possy"). Cool animals, but there's just too many in NZ.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,927,200 times
I recently saw possum wool for knitters, I think it came from NZ.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It hasn't been too bad for possums here for the last few years, but the funding for poisoning in this area is drying up, so the numbers are coming back rapidly. I would have got about 40-50 this year. NZ had about 80 million possums at one stage, but the numbers are only about half that now. It used to be good money doing skins, but demand is no longer high, so possum control isn't self funding any more.

We always had pet possums as kids (inevitably called "Possy"). Cool animals, but there's just too many in NZ.
Yeah possums don't belong in NZ. In Australia they're one of the few animals which has thrived and actually increased in population since European settlement.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,512,690 times
We see them all the time up hear in Brissy, I live 7 km from the city in what is a fairly leafy area. We put grain out to feed birds, and have to bring it in every night because we get sick of the possums eating it all.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,594,368 times
I live in Perth's inner west in a long established suburb near Kings Park (a large area of urban bushland). There are a lot of possums that you hear scurrying around but they're shy and rarely seen, occasionally you'll see them make a dash across the road. There are a lot of trees in the area so there are many types of birds to be seen around, newer suburban areas seem to lack that urban wildlife.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I live in Perth's inner west in a long established suburb near Kings Park (a large area of urban bushland). There are a lot of possums that you hear scurrying around but they're shy and rarely seen, occasionally you'll see them make a dash across the road. There are a lot of trees in the area so there are many types of birds to be seen around, newer suburban areas seem to lack that urban wildlife.
Wider roads, lack of tree-cover are the reasons. In those areas they seem more confined to large bushland parks. I believe the 'kangaroo crossing' sign somewhere near Ocean Reef Road on the Mitchell Freeway is still up or was taken down recently, long after any kangaroos crossed the freeway lol.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,136,782 times
I'm ~5km from the Brisbane cbd and just walking home tonight I saw one walking along the power lines. They're always in the trees outside my window making all kinds of crazy noises at night.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,897 times
I've seen them traversing phone cables above roads in Brisbane, they're amazingly agile creatures. I live out in the sticks near to Maleny and there's a family of four possums in one of our trees. They're no trouble at all and I love having them there but they do drive the dogs bonkers at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand