Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 33,128 times

Advertisements

Good god what a complete an utter idiot Abbott is, first lesson in international politics, if you have nothing good to say about your domestic opponents in politics, say nothing.
Suggesting that Obama was an idiot to have anything to do with the Labor government will go down real well in Washington DC.
So who still believes Abbott is a statesman ? or would you prefer to see him replaced ?

Tony Abbott's ALP criticism could affect US links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Obama is no idiot, he knows exactly what he's doing it's just a certain group that does not want to change, this group is very scared about new laws and do not want to be progressive!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
We (all nations) have had our experiences with leaders suffering from 'foot-in-mouth disease', it happens to the best of them as well as the best and rest of us (mere mortals as we are commonly known). Washington will soon get over it as well it should.

Having said that, I do want to thank you for introducing me to The Sydney Morning Herald as it was a relief (and might I add, pleasure?) to finally read something positive about America from the foreign press. Will wonders never cease?

Thank you again temata66, sincerely!

America on the rise

Edited to add...'my bad' this article first appeared in the Washington Post, but still...I would not have come across it any other way, thank you again nonetheless!

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 10-27-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 05:31 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Obama is no idiot, he knows exactly what he's doing it's just a certain group that does not want to change, this group is very scared about new laws and do not want to be progressive!
I would love to know what is so progressive about Obama? The good thing about it him is that he is not as far to the right as his predecessor. To me he seems quite centrist, though we don't really get much coverage on the normal day to day functions of the US parliament down here, just the stuff to do with wars and global finance etc.

Said it a Hundred times on this forum, Malcolm Turnbull should be the prime minister of Australia.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

Having said that, I do want to thank you for introducing me to The Sydney Morning Herald as it was a relief (and might I add, pleasure?) to finally read something positive about America from the foreign press. Will wonders never cease?

Thank you again temata66, sincerely!

America on the rise

Edited to add...'my bad' this article first appeared in the Washington Post, but still...I would not have come across it any other way, thank you again nonetheless!
That's one of those cherry picking articles that is written to achieve a outcome over having a balanced look, Ill add some balance.

The US is PRINTING (well electronically generating) $85 Billion a month to support its current economy and largely fake growth. The only reason the US has gotten away with this money printing is because its the recognised world reserve currency. Many countries have been quietly making plans to move away from trading in the $US, Russian, China, Australia (yes you read that right), and many countries in Europe. The $US as the world reserve currency days are clearly numbered, I can't tell you if that's 5 years or 20 years, in the mean time sure there are plenty of punters willing to take the gamble.

US propaganda (spread throughout mainstream western media), is certainly far less believed by the masses as the recent attempt to invade Syria showed. The world knows Iran is on the hit list to secure the region and resources, the US is going to need something better than a satellite image of a milk factory to invade without declaring itself as a conquering power.

Meanwhile the planet is dying and all us Humans seem to care about is $$, I guess that's not surprising humans are the same the world over.

Last edited by Battleneter; 10-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: typo in rant

Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM

30 posts, read 90,253 times
Obama can only claim to be a progressive due to the peculiar nature of politics here in America. Anywhere else in the developed world, he'd be considered center-right. Furthermore, he's all talk, but when it comes to action, he's just like any other politician - a liar. He spent his entire Senate career railing against everything Bush and the Republicans did, but after five years of being President, he has not done one thing different. The Patriot Act continues to be renewed and strengthened annually, we continue to rattle sabers at Iran and North Korea, we continue to be a slave to Israel and the AIPAC lobby, Guantanamo Bay prison is still open and imprisoning people without charges, we are still occupying Afghanistan 12 years after our invasion, Obamacare is just one big gift to the insurance companies as it gives them millions of potential new customers with little additional oversight or regulation, drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan have killed hundreds of innocent civilians, federal agents continue to raid medical marijuana dispensaries in states where it is legal, even though Obama has said he would curtail such practices, we interfered in one civil war (Libya) that has left the country in utter ruin and on the brink of an even more bloody civil war, and almost interfered in another (Syria), but stopped at the last minute after public support was non-existent. Obama does not deserve to be called a liberal or a progressive, and when you compare what he has done to what Bush did, there is very little difference. Both are corporate-controlled, corrupt, warmongers.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I would love to know what is so progressive about Obama? The good thing about it him is that he is not as far to the right as his predecessor. To me he seems quite centrist, though we don't really get much coverage on the normal day to day functions of the US parliament down here, just the stuff to do with wars and global finance etc.

Said it a Hundred times on this forum, Malcolm Turnbull should be the prime minister of Australia.
100% agree. I would have voted liberals if he was leader.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I would love to know what is so progressive about Obama?
So would I. He seems decidely centre or centre-right to me.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM

69 posts, read 115,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1088 View Post
Obama can only claim to be a progressive due to the peculiar nature of politics here in America. Anywhere else in the developed world, he'd be considered center-right. Furthermore, he's all talk, but when it comes to action, he's just like any other politician - a liar. He spent his entire Senate career railing against everything Bush and the Republicans did, but after five years of being President, he has not done one thing different. The Patriot Act continues to be renewed and strengthened annually, we continue to rattle sabers at Iran and North Korea, we continue to be a slave to Israel and the AIPAC lobby, Guantanamo Bay prison is still open and imprisoning people without charges, we are still occupying Afghanistan 12 years after our invasion, Obamacare is just one big gift to the insurance companies as it gives them millions of potential new customers with little additional oversight or regulation, drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan have killed hundreds of innocent civilians, federal agents continue to raid medical marijuana dispensaries in states where it is legal, even though Obama has said he would curtail such practices, we interfered in one civil war (Libya) that has left the country in utter ruin and on the brink of an even more bloody civil war, and almost interfered in another (Syria), but stopped at the last minute after public support was non-existent. Obama does not deserve to be called a liberal or a progressive, and when you compare what he has done to what Bush did, there is very little difference. Both are corporate-controlled, corrupt, warmongers.
This. 100%. I can't stand the god-like status which Obama holds in this country. He might be great with words but in reality he's every bit as bad as his predecessor if not worse. I'm not going to call him an "idiot" like the OP did because that would be incorrect, but he's certainly not done a good job as President.

Last edited by Celtic_08; 10-28-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,740 times
Why not call *any* of them 'idiots'? Why not call a spade a spade instead of calling it a long pine handled digging implement? Dispense with 'political correctness' and call it for what it is. Governments don't serve the people, or the Nation, the Corporation governs but they don't 'serve', and it is becoming more evident as each day passes that Capitalism is dying. It's all about money and who controls or has the most of it, or can get their grubby little hands on most of it. *Everyone* is expendable and are sacrificial goats to the one true God of the Church of Capitalism - - Money!

Capitalism needs some severe remodelling in the 21st century to avoid the eventual and inevitable total economic collapse.

Liberals, and Labour in particular, in recent times, at the present, and no doubt into the future, are the biggest circus since P T Barnum's. He wasn't wrong when he said "every crowd has a silver lining", and all that silver ends up lining the pockets of the few while just enough filters down to the general population to shut them up, but I fear all that will change in the not so distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand