Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I've talked to many people who have done a Working Holiday in AU/NZ. Never have they been asked for proof of funds or a return ticket. Of course you should always have enough funds for when you go home, but a return ticket is really not expected in this scenario. And it would be ridiculous to have one a year out.

Now if you're going somewhere on a tourist visa for 3 months or something, then that's different.
Well it wouldn't make much sense to ask for proof of funds from someone who has a work visa. Buying a return ticket isn't that ridiculous, especially if you're return will be during a peak period like school holidays or Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM

166 posts, read 278,551 times
Ok, I think I've pretty much settled the return flight issue by just purchasing a roundtrip ticket where I can modify the day I leave. Right now it's set for 4 months after I arrive, but I can change it with no charge if I give more than 30 days notice.

I've been scanning jobs on websites like gumtree and seek (I think Seek is better) and got in touch with a working holiday job that would pay $25/hr + commissions and bonuses. They've told me that typical take home pay is $4K AUD per month, some making more and some making less.

I have no idea what cost of living is like in Australia. I'm an unattached guy, mid-to-late 20's, not a lot of material needs. This is definitely liveable right? The job is right by Kings Cross.

If not, I've also heard of people who just show up without a job and find something within a few weeks.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Ok, I think I've pretty much settled the return flight issue by just purchasing a roundtrip ticket where I can modify the day I leave. Right now it's set for 4 months after I arrive, but I can change it with no charge if I give more than 30 days notice.

I've been scanning jobs on websites like gumtree and seek (I think Seek is better) and got in touch with a working holiday job that would pay $25/hr + commissions and bonuses. They've told me that typical take home pay is $4K AUD per month, some making more and some making less.

I have no idea what cost of living is like in Australia. I'm an unattached guy, mid-to-late 20's, not a lot of material needs. This is definitely liveable right? The job is right by Kings Cross.

If not, I've also heard of people who just show up without a job and find something within a few weeks.
Yeah, you'll get by on that. Don't expect to live in the lap of luxury though.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:

Its liveable. Not sure if you have sorted out accommodation,.. that's not cheap here

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:

To expand a little bit. You can probably find a decent share place for ~$300/week. If you're working in the X I suggest living within reach of there. There's a train line that runs from there to Bondi Junction. So some places to look at would be Bondi Beach, Edgecliff, Waverly, Bondi Junction, Woollahra, Paddington, Double Bay, Surry Hills, Redfern, Darlinghurst. That will put you right in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand