Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Thought this would be fun. In one word (or two), list up to 5 reasons why one should move to each of the state capitals in Australia and major cities, and five reasons why would should not...if you can't think of five, just list however many you can think of.

Sydney: PLUSES: Beaches, Harbour, Climate, Natural Beauty, Diversity, MINUSES: Expensive, Traffic, Unfriendly, class-divide, rat race

Melbourne: PLUSES: Culture/Arts, Food, Trams, AFL, Location, MINUSES: Traffic, Summer heatwaves, summer cooldowns

Brisbane: PLUSES: Climate, lifestyle, beaches, nature, friendly people, MINUSES: smaller, expensive, sometimes sultry

Perth: PLUSES: Climate, lifestyle, beaches, nature, down to earth, MINUSES: too expensive, isolated, parochial, dull, no mountains, summer heatwaves

Adelaide: PLUSES: Climate, lifestyle, parks, cheaper, the hills MINUSES: bit boring, too parochial, summer heatwaves

Canberra: PLUSES: Scenic location, the lake, well planned, quiet, libraries/museums/etc MINUSES: expensive, quiet, a bit dull

Darwin: PLUSES: Tropical climate, tropical fruits, close to nature MINUSES: tropical climate, small, isolated, dull

Hobart: PLUSES: Beautiful setting, prettily historic colonial buildings, cheaper, close to nature MINUSES: anemic summers/sometimes chilly winters, must fly to mainland

Gold Coast: PLUSES: Beach, climate, nightlife, resort-feel MINUSES: kind of 'plastic', expensive, lacks culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times
Looks pretty good to me, but one could argue Brisbane doesn't have any beaches :P. Smaller would need to be added to every city other than Melbourne or Sydney as Brisbane is more populated than the others.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Looks pretty good to me, but one could argue Brisbane doesn't have any beaches :P. Smaller would need to be added to every city other than Melbourne or Sydney as Brisbane is more populated than the others.
It does, although the best ones are on the islands.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 AM

359 posts, read 658,644 times
Sydney + Harbour - traffic

Melbourne + none - traffic

Brisbane + climate - traffic

Adelaide + none - traffic

Perth + none - traffic

Canberra + none - traffic

Hobart + two headed people - traffic

Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
It's funny that Melbourne = "culture/arts". No one has ever explained that one.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It's funny that Melbourne = "culture/arts". No one has ever explained that one.
What don't you understand/agree with? You have been here, haven't you?

Melbourne attracts many cultural events. We have great facilities. We have a ton of musicals/plays/theatre, films/cinemas/film festivals, live music of all kinds (arguably still the best in Oz), tons of venues, tons of hip, arty venues, a vibrant visual arts scene (even the street-art, we're renowned), the NGV, museums, countless private galleries, a wide range of entertainment, just a general vibe of artiness, we're one of the world 'cities of reading', lots of bookshops, plus a huge foodie city with a real, natural appreciation for culture. It isn't a new thing either. Come here and I'll show you, if it's not apparent enough.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What don't you understand/agree with? You have been here, haven't you?

Melbourne attracts many cultural events. We have great facilities. We have a ton of musicals/plays/theatre, films/cinemas/film festivals, live music of all kinds (arguably still the best in Oz), tons of venues, tons of hip, arty venues, a vibrant visual arts scene (even the street-art, we're renowned), the NGV, museums, countless private galleries, a wide range of entertainment, just a general vibe of artiness, we're one of the world 'cities of reading', lots of bookshops, plus a huge foodie city with a real, natural appreciation for culture. It isn't a new thing either. Come here and I'll show you, if it's not apparent enough.
What BCC is getting at is that it's no more cultural than other big cities in Australia. Not to get into the Sydney - Melbourne debate, there's pretty much an even divide of musicals/plays/theatre, films/cinemas/film festivals, live music of all kinds, bookshops, foodies venues, etc. It's just a reputation that Melbourne has built for itself rather than it being more cultural than another city.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
What BCC is getting at is that it's no more cultural than other big cities in Australia. Not to get into the Sydney - Melbourne debate, there's pretty much an even divide of musicals/plays/theatre, films/cinemas/film festivals, live music of all kinds, bookshops, foodies venues, etc. It's just a reputation that Melbourne has built for itself rather than it being more cultural than another city.
Hmmm...I think Melbourne is unofficially considered the 'cultural capital', and just seems to be seen in a higher regard. Yes, because of it's size and importance Sydney has it's fair share, but I feel the culture is just more of a part of life in Melbourne and the identity. I don't have stats to back it up, but it's both popular perception and how I feel. I lived in Perth, there's definitely a lot more of an artistic/creative vibe here.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM

140 posts, read 278,457 times
I agree with BCC and Nugget about Melbourne and the arts/culture tag. Melbourne has named itself as the Arts Capital, but that doesn't make it true. I've lived in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin and Canberra and could not say that Melbourne was any more arty than the rest. I've seen great independent shows in all of them, and in Brisbane and Hobart when visiting. Sydney and Melbourne, by virtue of their population size, tend to get the bigger international acts and probably have more going on in total.

I'm also surprised that Hobart's cooler winters are cited, but not Canberra's, which are colder.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I agree with BCC and Nugget about Melbourne and the arts/culture tag. Melbourne has named itself as the Arts Capital, but that doesn't make it true. I've lived in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin and Canberra and could not say that Melbourne was any more arty than the rest. I've seen great independent shows in all of them, and in Brisbane and Hobart when visiting. Sydney and Melbourne, by virtue of their population size, tend to get the bigger international acts and probably have more going on in total.

I'm also surprised that Hobart's cooler winters are cited, but not Canberra's, which are colder.
Well then what cities are 'cultural capitals', if any? NYC and London are like that because of their size too. Melbourne no more arty than Darwin? There goes your credibility.

It's more Hobart's summers which are a problem imo. They're English-like in how cool they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand