Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 16,418 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with the Australian flag? It's very eye catching with the large yellow sun and the red and black in the background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnottus View Post
What is wrong with the Australian flag? It's very eye catching with the large yellow sun and the red and black in the background.
That is the Aboriginal (or Indigenous) Flag, not the National one.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM

13 posts, read 16,418 times
Oh, too bad. It's a great looking flag. It should be the national one

Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Australia voted in a party led by a British-born, British-minded individual by the name of Tony Abbott who brought back the 'ye olde' English system of knights and dames to Australia. In 2014 Abbott bestowed Australia's highest honor, an Australian knighthood, on Britain's Prince Phillip. Tony Abbott is clearly 'as British to the boot-heels' as former Australian Prime Minister, Robert Menzies, back in the 1960's claimed to be. Australia voted against becoming a Republic back in 1999 because it simply cannot shake its ties with the old country. Australia overwhelmingly voted for a party led by a Brit and we're talking about a new flag for Australia that actually represents a proud "Australia"?

Until Australia decides to strap on a pair of (ahem) balls and break loose of the apron strings of "Mama England' ...we're jesting, of course . . .

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 08-26-2015 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Australia voted in a party led by a British-born, British-minded individual by the name of Tony Abbott who brought back the 'ye olde' English system of knights and dames to Australia. In 2014 Abbott bestowed Australia's highest honor, an Australian knighthood, on Britain's Prince Phillip. Tony Abbott is clearly 'as British to the boot-heels' as former Australian Prime Minister, Robert Menzies, back in the 1960's claimed to be. Australia voted against becoming a Republic back in 1999 because it simply cannot shake its ties with the old country. Australia overwhelmingly voted for a party led by a Brit and we're talking about a new flag for Australia that actually represents a proud "Australia"?

Until Australia decides to strap on a pair of (ahem) balls and break loose of the apron strings of "Mama England' ...we're jesting, of course . . .
Huh? Australia does not vote based on the leader, but votes on a party. I could go into the hows and why's the Liberal Party were voted in (ie. the recent years of Rudd/Gillard/Rudd)..... but safe to say the leader's birth place was not a consideration.

In regards to the republic debate, Australians voted against the model presented to them. It may have been premature, but it was more likely the preamble that caused people to vote no.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Huh? Australia does not vote based on the leader, but votes on a party.
I acknowledged that the party (the LNP) was the one that was voted in, a party that WAS LED by Tony Abbott. Be that as it may, the leader of a political party generally influences the public as to which party they will vote for.

Quote:
I could go into the hows and why's the Liberal Party were voted in (ie. the recent years of Rudd/Gillard/Rudd).....
The media and the negativity of the polls influenced the decision of the Australian public to vote out Labor rather than Labor having had a negative effect on their personal everyday lives. The majority of people are influenced by the popular media and prefer that others do their thinking for them. I've occasionally asked myself, what's the difference really WHICH party is running the country? My life doesn't seem to be affected either way. By the way, I don't know who these people are who are involved in daily polls that can evidently make or break a government ...all I know is that "I" have never been polled.

Quote:
....but safe to say the leader's birth place was not a consideration.
I didn't say that it was a consideration. I merely said that a Brit led the party. However, Abbott's leanings toward Britain were pretty well publicized as was his birthplace. The leader or the prospective leader of a nation should be born and bred in that nation. In fact, I had always believed that this was a requirement. Similarly, the previous Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, was also born in the UK. Where have all the Aussies gone?

Incidentally, I know of no one (I really mean this) who cares to admit to having voted for the LNP and most believe that Tony Abbott is pretty much a goose. I'm being polite (wink). Clearly, however, SOMEONE voted for the present government . ..

Quote:
In regards to the republic debate, Australians voted against the model presented to them. It may have been premature, but it was more likely the preamble that caused people to vote no.
Yes, that would seem to have been the case. The Republican model that was presented to the Australian public under the John Howard leadership was designed with a 'no' vote in mind. Which pretty much brings me back to my original point ...the people here and many of their political leaders really don't want Australia to EVER become a Republic. Nor do they want the British Union Jack ensign to disappear from the Australian flag. It will take the next generation, perhaps, before the ties with "Mama England" are eventually severed.

Note: It would appear that the British themselves and also the British Royal family really couldn't give a hoot about Australia's rather smarmy loyalty to their country. They really couldn't. Australia's becoming a Republic or changing its flag is no more than a 'ho-hum' matter for them.

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 08-26-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 02:09 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
I doubt the political parties stance on the monarchy/republic is going to get either of them many votes.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I acknowledged that the party (the LNP) was the one that was voted in, a party that WAS LED by Tony Abbott. Be that as it may, the leader of a political party generally influences the public as to which party they will vote for.

The media and the negativity of the polls influenced the decision of the Australian public to vote out Labor rather than Labor having had a negative effect on their personal everyday lives. The majority of people are influenced by the popular media and prefer that others do their thinking for them. I've occasionally asked myself, what's the difference really WHICH party is running the country? My life doesn't seem to be affected either way. By the way, I don't know who these people are who are involved in daily polls that can evidently make or break a government ...all I know is that "I" have never been polled.

I didn't say that it was a consideration. I merely said that a Brit led the party. However, Abbott's leanings toward Britain were pretty well publicized as was his birthplace. The leader or the prospective leader of a nation should be born and bred in that nation. In fact, I had always believed that this was a requirement. Similarly, the previous Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, was also born in the UK. Where have all the Aussies gone?

Incidentally, I know of no one (I really mean this) who cares to admit to having voted for the LNP and most believe that Tony Abbott is pretty much a goose. I'm being polite (wink). Clearly, however, SOMEONE voted for the present government . ..

Yes, that would seem to have been the case. The Republican model that was presented to the Australian public under the John Howard leadership was designed with a 'no' vote in mind. Which pretty much brings me back to my original point ...the people here and many of their political leaders really don't want Australia to EVER become a Republic. Nor do they want the British Union Jack ensign to disappear from the Australian flag. It will take the next generation, perhaps, before the ties with "Mama England" are eventually severed.

Note: It would appear that the British themselves and also the British Royal family really couldn't give a hoot about Australia's rather smarmy loyalty to their country. They really couldn't. Australia's becoming a Republic or changing its flag is no more than a 'ho-hum' matter for them.
unless you live in Qld which was the only state to field LNP candidates in the federal election, it is understandable that no one you know voted for them. On your broader point, you know plenty if people that voted for the coalition. Your mates may not admit to it but that's just a general case of confirmation bias that you're observing.

Your point on popular media is ridiculously naive (everyone votes for who the media tells them to of course only you are smart enough to rise above that influence), the biggest and most widely consumed media organisation in Australia is the ABC. Unless you are going to mount an argument that they support the coalition of course.

Oh, and you sound astoundingly xenophobic.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 AM

Anyway, this is an Irene Post that I actually agree with, virtually anything without a Union Jack will do me.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 AM

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-27-2015 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: Looks like I replied to a since deleted post :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand