Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 2,920,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
My favorite proposed Australian flag

http://creativeroots.org/wp-content/...ian-flag-4.png
This could be seen as being too gaudy or too novel for a serious national flag but I personally like it! The gold, that rich dark green and kangaroo silhouette are very striking ...to me, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 PM

6,799 posts, read 2,920,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
unless you live in Qld which was the only state to field LNP candidates in the federal election, it is understandable that no one you know voted for them. On your broader point, you know plenty if people that voted for the coalition. Your mates may not admit to it but that's just a general case of confirmation bias that you're observing.
I live in Nth Qld.

Quote:
Your point on popular media is ridiculously naive (everyone votes for who the media tells them to
I don't think that's what I said. Leading up to the election the public was informed EVERY SINGLE DAY by newsprint and the electronic media how unpopular the then government was and as to how the daily polls clearly reflected this. Media mogul, Rupert Murdoch, has the capacity to influence the outcome of elections. Being the head of a powerful corporation this should not be understated. Murdoch made it quite clear to the Australian public that Labor had to go. This is coming from a man who took up U.S. Citizenship some years ago and, to my knowledge, resides stateside.

So, we were persistently browbeaten that Labor was 'on the nose' and had to be voted out. Who wants to back a loser? And so, as expected, Labor were voted out and Abbott and company were voted in. If the media didn't influence the decision making public then they would not be successfully doing their job. Of course people are influenced by the media!

Quote:
...of course only you are smart enough to rise above that influence),
I didn't say that either. But, yes ...I'm awake to the media and its often shameless 'beat ups' of just about everything.

Quote:
...the biggest and most widely consumed media organisation in Australia is the ABC. Unless you are going to mount an argument that they support the coalition of course.
The average Australian household wouldn't be watching the ABC. They'd be watching Master Chef, My Kitchen Rules, X-Factor and all of the other hyped up juvenile crap* that has been specifically designed to grab the attention of those who just want to turn off their minds after a day at work. Sponsor dollars is what it's all about.

* Apologies to those of us who might normally be pretty astute and intelligent but sink to the level of a gullible 12-year old mentality couch potato during peak-hour TV . . .

Quote:
Oh, and you sound astoundingly xenophobic.
Yes, I guess I do. I'm not Australian born but I DID choose to come to Australia many years ago. And, I noticed from the outset how lacking in confidence Australians were about themselves. Even now the media (supposedly a reflection of the people) behave like giddy children when an Australian makes good in (usually) the U.S. They are constantly seeking approval from (usually) the U.S. while at the same time affirming to the general Australian public that Australia REALLY IS an important part of the world! "See, our sports jocks and actors are even impressing Americans ...aren't we something?" This is something that mature countries like the U.S. and Britain would not do. They have nothing to prove. Australia has an inferiority complex that it can't seem to shake and its desire to cling to England only exacerbates this complex in my opinion. I would just like Australia to grow up and become the nation it appears to want to become. I live here and I feel that I've been here long enough (35 years) to have my say.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 PM

82 posts, read 114,067 times
The flag of Tuvalu shown in the first post is inaccurate. Tuvalu restored its flag with the Union Flag in the canton in April 1997. The one pictured was only adopted between January 1996 and April 1997, it apparently was unpopular with the Tuvaluans and they reverted to their previous flag.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:44 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,362 times
Nearly everything Irene posts is inaccurate, and purposely so.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:08 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,005,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I live in Nth Qld.

I don't think that's what I said. Leading up to the election the public was informed EVERY SINGLE DAY by newsprint and the electronic media how unpopular the then government was and as to how the daily polls clearly reflected this. Media mogul, Rupert Murdoch, has the capacity to influence the outcome of elections. Being the head of a powerful corporation this should not be understated. Murdoch made it quite clear to the Australian public that Labor had to go. This is coming from a man who took up U.S. Citizenship some years ago and, to my knowledge, resides stateside.

So, we were persistently browbeaten that Labor was 'on the nose' and had to be voted out. Who wants to back a loser? And so, as expected, Labor were voted out and Abbott and company were voted in. If the media didn't influence the decision making public then they would not be successfully doing their job. Of course people are influenced by the media!

I didn't say that either. But, yes ...I'm awake to the media and its often shameless 'beat ups' of just about everything.

The average Australian household wouldn't be watching the ABC. They'd be watching Master Chef, My Kitchen Rules, X-Factor and all of the other hyped up juvenile crap* that has been specifically designed to grab the attention of those who just want to turn off their minds after a day at work. Sponsor dollars is what it's all about.

* Apologies to those of us who might normally be pretty astute and intelligent but sink to the level of a gullible 12-year old mentality couch potato during peak-hour TV . . .

Yes, I guess I do. I'm not Australian born but I DID choose to come to Australia many years ago. And, I noticed from the outset how lacking in confidence Australians were about themselves. Even now the media (supposedly a reflection of the people) behave like giddy children when an Australian makes good in (usually) the U.S. They are constantly seeking approval from (usually) the U.S. while at the same time affirming to the general Australian public that Australia REALLY IS an important part of the world! "See, our sports jocks and actors are even impressing Americans ...aren't we something?" This is something that mature countries like the U.S. and Britain would not do. They have nothing to prove. Australia has an inferiority complex that it can't seem to shake and its desire to cling to England only exacerbates this complex in my opinion. I would just like Australia to grow up and become the nation it appears to want to become. I live here and I feel that I've been here long enough (35 years) to have my say.

I actually agree with what you are saying.
Australia and NZ are like a couple of teenagers mentally, now well and truly grown up, but still refuse to leave the nest and the safety of their parents home.
Until many of the older Australians move on, many of those old ties will only die with them.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I actually agree with what you are saying.
Australia and NZ are like a couple of teenagers mentally, now well and truly grown up, but still refuse to leave the nest and the safety of their parents home.
Until many of the older Australians move on, many of those old ties will only die with them.
In what actual practical sense have they failed to leave the safety of their parents home.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:59 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,676,227 times
New Australian flag should be representative of the peoples who the colonizers tried destroying:

Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,899,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
New Australian flag should be representative of the peoples who the colonizers tried destroying:
No, it really shouldn't. A national flag shouldn't be a flag of guilt. Should Germany's flag be the Israeli one?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No, it really shouldn't. A national flag shouldn't be a flag of guilt. Should Germany's flag be the Israeli one?
I would not have a problem with that.

But here is another suggestion which would be more representative of the country.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
^^ lol... You think we should take their flag... yeah. another with NFI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand