Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Indisputable facts being of course The West in general has a ageing population. Together with Japan, that leads the pack.
Other nations not use changing age demographics as a background for turbo immigration though, that will lower living standards.

I argue the standard of living is far lower than in times past, when it could be said, the good times rolled. Changes kicked in probably around the mid eighties, escalating from there, until this country finds itself in the situation it does today.
Collective memory is short, people are easily hoodwinked into believing another narrative. It is what it is.

I recall though the clear ease of living in Australia, in comparison with costs around housing and entertainment and here clearly had a considerable advantage to UK/Europe. These days a potential migrant would seriously need to weigh up reasons for any potential move to Australia.

All West European countries maintain a high standard of living. Some obviously higher than Australia.

But just recalled your going on your holls. Don't forget Boardies and Thongs, Aussie themed scripted T shirt. Bali here we come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Indisputable facts being of course The West in general has a ageing population. Together with Japan, that leads the pack.
Other nations not use changing age demographics as a background for turbo immigration though, that will lower living standards.

I argue the standard of living is far lower than in times past, when it could be said, the good times rolled. Changes kicked in probably around the mid eighties, escalating from there, until this country finds itself in the situation it does today.
Collective memory is short, people are easily hoodwinked into believing another narrative. It is what it is.

I recall though the clear ease of living in Australia, in comparison with costs around housing and entertainment and here clearly had a considerable advantage to UK/Europe. These days a potential migrant would seriously need to weigh up reasons for any potential move to Australia.

All West European countries maintain a high standard of living. Some obviously higher than Australia.

But just recalled your going on your holls. Don't forget Boardies and Thongs, Aussie themed scripted T shirt. Bali here we come.
So many words to agree with me, but you got there in the end.

Now the folk who travel to Bali are getting your disdain! Although I've never been and likely never will, I don't look down on my friends and family who enjoy it there.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
So many words to agree with me, but you got there in the end.

Now the folk who travel to Bali are getting your disdain! Although I've never been and likely never will, I don't look down on my friends and family who enjoy it there.
I don't look down, just no envy. No need to be in denial. If Bali is calling you answer the call.
Just one thing. Nothing wrong calling out a place for what it is.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I don't look down, just no envy. No need to be in denial. If Bali is calling you answer the call.
Just one thing. Nothing wrong calling out a place for what it is.
Nice, you going all Trump on us now. Is it a sh*$ hole?

Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Nice, you going all Trump on us now. Is it a sh*$ hole?
Just wanted to remind you, if you forget to pack your bucket and spade, no matter, dirt cheap over there.
But a reminder if needed. Don't drink the water. Bali belly no laughing matter, I have heard.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to remind you, if you forget to pack your bucket and spade, no matter, dirt cheap over there.
But a reminder if needed. Don't drink the water. Bali belly no laughing matter, I have heard.
It's a little far for a day trip from Shanghai or Chicago and New York. But maybe next time.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
It's a little far for a day trip from Shanghai or Chicago and New York. But maybe next time.

Too cold in Chicago's Lake Michigan this time of year to be in need of bucket or spade or boardies, I expect.
Anyway need to get through American immigration first before being undertake anything. A chore in itself.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Too cold in Chicago's Lake Michigan this time of year to be in need of bucket or spade or boardies, I expect.
Anyway need to get through American immigration first before being undertake anything. A chore in itself.
Yes very much looking forward to cooling off. Summer has gone on a little too long for my liking in Brisbane this year.

I've never had Chicago as my point of entry to the country before, but am hoping for an easier/quicker clearance than LAX.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Yes very much looking forward to cooling off. Summer has gone on a little too long for my liking in Brisbane this year.

I've never had Chicago as my point of entry to the country before, but am hoping for an easier/quicker clearance than LAX.
Never either, but while must be better than NYC, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a quick entry.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 AM

Anyway we are getting way of topic. Part of the Aussie risk adverse society, is a result of the constant need to watch ones back , which can be very hard work. The work place is a mine full of dangers , not to say policy and practices, in place to create fear and compliance. Bullying appears on the decline, but subtle 'targeting' those stepping out of line, or perceived to be tend to create a climate of increased risk aversion, in people standing their ground. With the growing casualization of employment within the work place, this makes it near impossible or suicidal in the continued employment sense to speak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand