Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 07:15 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,491,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I am one of many in the 60-70 age group who are still waiting for the second AZ but will have it in the next month or so. The fully vaccinated rate will increase quite quickly soon.
I am in the over 70 group (not by much ) and got my first jab towards the end of April. Living in a regional area I was by no means among the first in my age group to be jabbed as only a few local doctors are large enough practices to be able to take it on. My 2nd shot is in mid-August. I agree with Marisa, there will be a considerable jump in fully vaccinated Australians within the next couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 04:06 PM

4,232 posts, read 4,901,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
They spread their bets across 4 options with a focus on local production. I'm sure that more than satisfied the risk modelling of the "health experts".

If the lesson be learned from all this is that a few rich countries should buy up all the supplies, and the payoff for that is that we are fully vaccinated two months earlier than the forecast eventual outcome, I'm not sure we have learned much.
Rich countries did buy up all the supplies and they're vaccinated and getting on with life. I guess the federal government could moralise about the ethics of it to paper over why we're stuck in first gear.

Last edited by BCC_1; 07-08-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-08-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Those forecasts from the Guardian don't make sense, most notably the apparent assumption of linear rates of vaccination when that is almost guaranteed to be wrong. There will of course be a significant ramp up in rate.
Four million by the end of March and supply since the start of April has been 1.3m-1.4m doses/week. If we were on target, with the right mix, every adult would have received a shot by now. The curve only started to steepen at the back end of the year when the government needed to double its Pfizer order and order Moderna.

Last edited by BCC_1; 07-08-2021 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 01:30 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,530,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Four million by the end of March and supply since the start of April has been 1.3m-1.4m doses/week. If we were on target, with the right mix, every adult would have received a shot by now. The curve only started to steepen at the back end of the year when the government needed to double its Pfizer order and order Moderna.
That was never the goal at any point.

But more pointing out their trend forecast of a further 9 months required for completion. It assumes linear growth. They know that is absurd. I wonder why they presented it that way?

Old 07-09-2021, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Rich countries did buy up all the supplies and they're vaccinated and getting on with life. I guess the federal government could moralise about the ethics of it to paper over why we're stuck in first gear.
No countries are fully vaccinated of course. But yes, those where tens and hundreds of thousands of their citizens are dead, kicked off the program earlier.

Like I said, we will likely be two months behind schedule based on current rates. No biggie. And the original forecast certainly wasn't controversial at the time it was made.

Very easy to wargame it when the results are already known.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:13 AM

And today we have Albo pretending to not know what "bring forward" means as he knows his base will lap it up.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:57 AM

Quote:
That was never the goal at any point.
I didn't say it was.

But.

We were promised 4 million by the end of March. Fail. We were promised "Australians at the front of the queue." Fail.

Most people assumed that "Australians at the front of the queue" would mean as the rest of the developed world moved on from the pandemic we would...you know...be at the front of that.

Does anyone really believe the intention of the government was that we'd sit around twiddling our thumbs until the last quarter of 2021?

Last edited by BCC_1; 07-09-2021 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:

Does anyone really believe the intention of the government was that we'd sit around twiddling our thumbs until the last quarter of 2021?
Well you said if we were on target every adult would have received a shot by now. That was never the target...

The planned vaccination rates were announced, well publicised and well accepted. At current rates and planned supply, we will fall 2 months behind that schedule. I suspect it won't even be 2 months in the end.

Expectations of no international travel well into next year has always been communicated which I think is absurd.

2 months late on a goal that everyone was ok with will be a good result in the face of the messaging from State Govt.....the vaccine if more dangerous than the disease (Qld).....get vaccinated but you still need to wear a mask etc. Vaccine hesitancy is the enemy.

Todays news that KRudd is the saviour has been a lot of fun. And then Mal jumping on for good measure. Those two are the angry old men in the balcony of the Muppets.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Most people assumed that "Australians at the front of the queue" would mean as the rest of the developed world moved on from the pandemic we would...you know...be at the front of that.
On this, the front of the queue was clearly in relation to the ordering and receipt of vaccines, not when restrictions would end.

It was a silly line to use even putting aside the delivery issues. We were never really at the front of the queue given the decisions to stand by and watch for a while to see how things went. Given we had relatively few people impacted and the vaccine was new, this too was a well accepted position.

Some of the political commentary on this topic is a re-write of history and much of the rest is Monday quarterbacking. And we can expect plenty more coming into an election. It is the only chance for Albo.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Well you said if we were on target every adult would have received a shot by now. That was never the target...
If we had hit 4m vaccinated by the end of March and had had 1.4m jabs going into arms every week since April that's where we'd be. That might not have been the government's stated target, but they would have been aware of the supply capability of CSL and Pfizer and the intention would have been nothing short of getting those supplies into arms ASAP.

Quote:
The planned vaccination rates were announced, well publicised and well accepted. At current rates and planned supply, we will fall 2 months behind that schedule. I suspect it won't even be 2 months in the end.
I suspect that is wildly optimistic. I'd be happy to be wrong. Getting from 60% to 80%+ will be like herding cats. The fact only 2/3rds of the over 70 crowd had had a shot until this Sydney outbreak is beyond farcical. The boomers really are the most selfish generation.

Quote:
Expectations of no international travel well into next year has always been communicated which I think is absurd.
Yes it is. Blame those clowns in Qld and WA for that. The whole stupid 4 point plan is beyond ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand