Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 02:46 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,536,385 times

Advertisements

This deserves a discussion on it's own.

The inquiry into the shambolic hotel quarantine that has killed hundreds of people and caused havoc to millions of lives and the economy in general, is going to be worse than initially thought for the Premier.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...18-p55x2e.html

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-inquiry-hears

This from counsel assisting really sums it up politely:
- "The board may well find that these risks were foreseeable, and may have actually been foreseen, had there been an appropriate level of health focus in the program from the top down to the bottom.”

- “These were things that were known to be deficiencies, before the outbreak. For reasons that have not been completely explained, they remained issues, up to and even after the outbreaks,”

- Those overseeing the program had “no health or medical qualifications and no clinical experience” and the Department of Health and Human Services had “one infection prevention control expert as an employee”.

- the state's authorities knew they could have had help from Defence Force troops to run the hotels.

Will be interesting to see if Dan digs himself deeper into the mire with more lies next week. But it is clear that the findings will be that:

1. The quarantine fiasco caused 99% of the corona cases killing hundreds of people.
2. The risks were clear, understood and not managed appropriately.
3. The govt knew they could use the ADF, elected not to then lied about it to the inquiry.

Will the Premier, who is responsible for this shambles and the consequent deaths and crippling of the economy have the decency to resign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 03:42 AM

6,057 posts, read 5,993,744 times
Turned out to be solid. Seen it through regardless of Big Business pushing to open borders prematurely.

As for security guard use WA did the same. Victoria was unlucky. What would have happend to the economy if action of the kind wasn't taken, is obvious to most clear thinking people without a drum to bang.

The results of careful management has resulted in the restrictions gradually being lifted
as numbers in cases and mortality declines.

No need to resign. Morrison? Now that's another matter.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:18 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,554,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Turned out to be solid. Seen it through regardless of Big Business pushing to open borders prematurely.

As for security guard use WA did the same. Victoria was unlucky. What would have happend to the economy if action of the kind wasn't taken, is obvious to most clear thinking people without a drum to bang.

The results of careful management has resulted in the restrictions gradually being lifted
as numbers in cases and mortality declines.

No need to resign. Morrison? Now that's another matter.
I normally decline to respond to your posts, but cannot resist tonight.

Victoria was not unlucky. The whole situation in Victoria was badly managed and many people down there hope DA is found criminally liable.

As a second issue, you normally write continually about how everything in WA is unpleasant, not civilised etc. suddenly it is the most wonderful state because it has closed itself off.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

Victoria was not unlucky. The whole situation in Victoria was badly managed and many people down there hope DA is found criminally liable.

As a second issue, you normally write continually about how everything in WA is unpleasant, not civilised etc. suddenly it is the most wonderful state because it has closed itself off.
haha he normally says the same of Qld, but now it is a virtuous place

But you are right and the inquiry agrees with you. It wasn't unlucky as the counsel assisting has outlined, it was forseeable, seen, and still not managed. Wrong people, no medical or health advice in managing it. And then they lied about it. Negligent at so many levels. The decision to outsource to inept private security guards is only part of the issue as detailed in the linked articles. They didn't even organise appropriate cleaning of the hotels.......

A competent premier would have had the appropriate people managing and advising. An ethical premier would have resigned by now and let a capable person take over.

My discussions with Victorians on a daily basis reveal the same sentiment you speak of. Even those who initially gave credit to the arsonist for attempting to put out the fire are turning on him.

Hopefully the report won't pull punches to be polite.

troubes, a simple request for you in this thread. If you are going to join the discussion, please limit it to the inquiry evidence and findings to date. The "unlucky" line is proven to be incorrect. I even gave you some approved left wing news reporting to use.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:

So glad to could find it in yourself to remove the bed covers and 'have a go' at stating your position.

Very glad indeed. Let's talk about Victoria. No I know people 'down there' who indeed consider appropriate action was taken. Indeed their lives are not too much changed.
But as usual, a lot will depend on who you want to believe and where own bias lays. Add a dollop of self interest and more than enough to frame your view point to a one dimensional conclusion.

My understanding from a Melbourne connection is that conditions were eased after a suicide was committed due to confinement in lock down but not read such in the media myself.

While I understand many conservative elements out there find compassion something worthy of being labeled a criminal offence, what I would suggest is just hold the reigns, don't get upset by the Murdoch Press, and wait for future findings to reveal just where the blame should lay. If of course, there is any blame to be leveed at all.

As for your secondary issue again glad to elaborate. You labour under false assumptions which is never a 'neat look'.

Like Victoria, I applaud, for the most part the actions of the State Governments, in putting public health ahead of profit. A rarity these days to state the obvious.
While you may consider going down The Trump route, denial, lies resulting in already closing in on two hundred thousand deaths, then state as much.

Or perhaps the too soon opening a number of Euro countries, including UK are finding , which look like resulting in further lock downs this Northern Winter, then fine. But be up front about it.

Moving on. If the negatives are not disclosed improvement will be unlikely to be forthcoming.
I'm afraid you really need to understand pointing out the less desirable, is not akin to a blanket condemnation. It is what it is and that is the subject being discussed.

WA being uncivilized? Can you please give me a pointer here towards to what you refer?

You surely don't mean the scourge of meth ice, inflicting itself on well being of society do you?
I really wish you would not suggest I comment on things that I do not.
While I at times give a critical commentary, as any proper commenter should give all sides of the story, terming West Australia uncivilized is not a term I'm familiar with.

No it is not the most wonderful State, although certain aspects point in that direction as being so.
No I do not abide by the present State Government beyond the closing of borders. That I am a populist and share with the very, vast majority of West Australian residents.

As I'm sure QLD's will on similar grounds be likely to reelect their State Government due to the lock down there. In other words, without the virus I suspect defeat would have been inevitable.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
haha he normally says the same of Qld, but now it is a virtuous place

But you are right and the inquiry agrees with you. It wasn't unlucky as the counsel assisting has outlined, it was forseeable, seen, and still not managed. Wrong people, no medical or health advice in managing it. And then they lied about it. Negligent at so many levels. The decision to outsource to inept private security guards is only part of the issue as detailed in the linked articles. They didn't even organise appropriate cleaning of the hotels.......

A competent premier would have had the appropriate people managing and advising. An ethical premier would have resigned by now and let a capable person take over.

My discussions with Victorians on a daily basis reveal the same sentiment you speak of. Even those who initially gave credit to the arsonist for attempting to put out the fire are turning on him.

Hopefully the report won't pull punches to be polite.

troubes, a simple request for you in this thread. If you are going to join the discussion, please limit it to the inquiry evidence and findings to date. The "unlucky" line is proven to be incorrect. I even gave you some approved left wing news reporting to use.
Haha. Eye testing in order. Rolling eyes are suggestive of forked tongues , delusional thought resulting in flawed outcomes.
Obviously would hate the thought of some mind impacting virus inflicting itself on your person.

But you can relax. Try and over come the obvious fear that has, I admit been installed into susceptible minds, by varied social media sources, Murdoch Press ,Sky News, usual crew out to create fear.

As you know, I only speak the truth. You can relax in the knowledge that the Victorian Government has through its steadfast approach won the battle, if not the war, in containment and over recent times a rapid reduction in numbers.

An approach warranting applauding surely? Of course. But I understand 'nervy types' may take longer to realize the diminished community danger and grasp for a period before the fear recedes.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 PM

2,958 posts, read 1,336,112 times
Quote:

North Koreans think the same about their ''beautiful state'' lol. In all seriousness though you can't stay locked up forever afraid to live your lives fearing death. 25% of Australia's population was born overseas, your a migrant nation and your economy NEEDS migrants. I've heard Nursing Agencies in WA are pleading with the government to grant more exemptions as they are under pressure, Nurses are currently the most sought after professions needed most can't even get into the country. https://www.seek.com.au/career-advic...d_Sep20_Onsite
I can't understand you Aussies at the minute so frightened to live your lives over a virus that kills less people than other preventable illnesses you live with normally. This isn't the Spanish flu, not even close, your all just gripped by fear. Stop watching so much gutter journalism

Last edited by Paddy234; 09-19-2020 at 11:17 PM..

Old 09-19-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Haha. Eye testing in order. Rolling eyes are suggestive of forked tongues , delusional thought resulting in flawed outcomes.
Obviously would hate the thought of some mind impacting virus inflicting itself on your person.

But you can relax. Try and over come the obvious fear that has, I admit been installed into susceptible minds, by varied social media sources, Murdoch Press ,Sky News, usual crew out to create fear.

As you know, I only speak the truth. You can relax in the knowledge that the Victorian Government has through its steadfast approach won the battle, if not the war, in containment and over recent times a rapid reduction in numbers.

An approach warranting applauding surely? Of course. But I understand 'nervy types' may take longer to realize the diminished community danger and grasp for a period before the fear recedes.
troubes I gave you The Guardian and The Age stories covering the inquiry where specific suggestions of findings open to the commission have been made.

The thread is about the mis-management of the Victorian government that lead to all of the second wave infections, hundreds of deaths and decimation of their economy. Please leave out the nonsense of "winning the war". Dan dropped the damn bomb!

So, try to stay on track, what do you think about the specific evidence and comments from counsel assisting?

Old 09-19-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
North Koreans think the same about their ''beautiful state'' lol. In all seriousness though you can't stay locked up forever afraid to live your lives fearing death. 25% of Australia's population was born overseas, your a migrant nation and your economy NEEDS migrants. I've heard Nursing Agencies in WA are pleading with the government to grant more exemptions as they are under pressure. I can't understand you Aussies at the minute so frightened to live your lives over a virus that kills less people than other preventable illnesses you live with normally. This isn't the Spanish flu, not even close, your all just gripped by fear. Stop watching so much gutter journalism
I think in reality very few people are gripped by fear, but rather gripped by crippling restrictions and punishments at the hands of State Governments.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Like Victoria, I applaud, for the most part the actions of the State Governments, in putting public health ahead of profit. A rarity these days to state the obvious.

As I'm sure QLD's will on similar grounds be likely to reelect their State Government due to the lock down there. In other words, without the virus I suspect defeat would have been inevitable.
troubes the evidence to the commission is that:

- "The board may well find that these risks were foreseeable, and may have actually been foreseen, had there been an appropriate level of health focus in the program from the top down to the bottom.”

- “These were things that were known to be deficiencies, before the outbreak. For reasons that have not been completely explained, they remained issues, up to and even after the outbreaks,”

- Those overseeing the program had “no health or medical qualifications and no clinical experience” and the Department of Health and Human Services had “one infection prevention control expert as an employee”.

- the state's authorities knew they could have had help from Defence Force troops to run the hotels. But refused it.

Can you argue how exactly the Vic govt appropriately managed public health?

As to the Qld election, the ALP were ahead on every Poll for the last two years until the mishandling of border closures due to the pandemic. They are now behind in the polls. That is the news from the real world, not opposite world of troubes. Sure they may still win, but it is inarguable that they were in a better position prior to the pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand