Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 06:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Would you say Ireland had changed for the worse? Ireland's poverty was the result of centuries of Oppression, it's story of independence is one of success. It took many years to lift itself up out of this poverty. Today Economically Ireland is one of the wealthiest nations in the world whose people enjoy a standard of living similar or higher than the UK. The Scottish independence movement hold Ireland's success up as example of what it could one day become. Socially and culturally I feel Ireland has lost it's soul largely becoming a secular society with little to no fixed values anymore
that guide it however that is a discussion for another topic. Also Ireland's property market this time is nowhere near at the level of New Zealand and Australia where a correction NEEDS to happen if future generations ever stand a chance of being able to afford a home.

I've actually heard from a few Australians now who have talked about travelling to Canada. Canada has the most open immigration policy out of any western country. They have made it clear they need millions of migrants over the next few years so no doubt Australians will be attracted to this.

As for do I think Australia will be better of for becoming a republic. Absolutely, Australians need a system to be proud of and patriotic over. The fact they have no pride or really even acknowledge their head of state (The Queen) is proof they need change. Say what you want about Americans but their patriotism means in times of world crisis the nation stands up for it's citizens. I'm still rattled at how the Australian government treated it's own citizens by preventing them from coming home during covid. You had dozens of celebrities posting on social media how easy it was to get here and receive exemptions from the local premier's while Australian citizens weren't even allowed to see their dying loved ones. You had football players given exemptions to get in and only do partial quarantines and when Premier's like Mark Mcgowan were questioned about this his response was that it was good for morale. Seriously?

How did Australians respond to this, by voting these premier's back in via record numbers. They didn't care about their fellow citizens when no other country was behaving this way. They allowed their own citizens to return when they could. They certainly didn't need an exemption from some elected politician to allow them to come home. Anyway it showed a lack of comradery among the Australian population. There's just that lack of national pride here that comes when one has institutions in place they can be proud of, a system which values it's citizens
Yes if need to give a straight answer. Greed like Australia has become a mainstay while many do not share what may appear on a superficial level a healthy economy. Irish failing health system anyone? Corruption?
I'm sure you will know Ireland's fortune has been the result of low taxation for foreign companies, many paying almost no tax. While GDP has been boosted all too many have been excluded or are seriously in debt due to very high house prices. Not to dissimilar in that from Australia.

Most Australians that go to Canada do not go there to remain. It is usually a year or two in the Aussie enclave of Whistler to work then out.

Patriotism? Aussies do have it in spades. But a lazy sort not the intellectual arguments some others may use as argument. They don't take any form of critique very well. There is more to patriotism than the flag. Or whether Australia should be a Republic or not. Little interest to most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 08:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
I'm working on a new flag for Aussie - it has nanoparticle embedded technology that will make the kangaroo on it appear to be bounding along, when the wind flutters it.

Very much a secret at this stage, so won't say anymore.

Old 06-07-2022, 03:15 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,313,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Yes if need to give a straight answer. Greed like Australia has become a mainstay while many do not share what may appear on a superficial level a healthy economy. Irish failing health system anyone? Corruption?
I'm sure you will know Ireland's fortune has been the result of low taxation for foreign companies, many paying almost no tax. While GDP has been boosted all too many have been excluded or are seriously in debt due to very high house prices. Not to dissimilar in that from Australia.

Most Australians that go to Canada do not go there to remain. It is usually a year or two in the Aussie enclave of Whistler to work then out.

Patriotism? Aussies do have it in spades. But a lazy sort not the intellectual arguments some others may use as argument. They don't take any form of critique very well. There is more to patriotism than the flag. Or whether Australia should be a Republic or not. Little interest to most.
I agree greed has taken over Ireland, one can easily see this as it discards it's traditional values and identity to become a frontrunner in the global economy leaving behind so many. As for it's health system, while it is bad it certainly isn't out of the ordinary. Here in Western Australia the health system is a disgrace where a few people have died within recent months due to waiting 1-2 hours for an ambulance. Yet the Premier here likes to Brag how WA is paying for the rest of Australia and that it's economy is in a surplus. Unfortunately corruption has become the norm all across the west. I feel it was always bad here aswell but people were so well off they didn't care.

As for the multinational companies. This is where I disagree as this has catapulted Ireland into becoming a very highly skilled country and high wage economy. Those multinational companies employ around 25% of the private economy I believe. Ireland is a country that mostly focuses on finance, high tech, pharmaceuticals and agriculture. Those multinationals pay very high wages and provide highly skilled Jobs in the most reputable of companies. The skills and experience people gain from these industries allows them to advance and even start up their own companies which is already benefitting the country.

I find it strange when people mention multi nationals in Ireland as if it's a shock whenever the Saudi's and Russians own large chunks of the London economy and Paris. I mean they own almost all the reputable sports teams in the Premier league. 15% of all the UK's assets is accounted for by foreign owned companies. That's the way of the world today. The west is largely in the market of providing highly skilled services. Each economy tries to compete for these highly skilled companies to invest In their countries and provide highly paid and skilled Jobs. We don't produce near as much as we use to. That is left is to nations that pay their workers a fraction of what workers recieve in the west.

As for many being left behind. Ireland doesn't have the same problem today as Australia and especially New Zealand when it comes to house prices and housing debt but I couldn't agree more that many have been left behind in the economy. This is incredibly unfortunate and Australia economically has more to offer these people than the UK and Ireland ever could. Australia kind of reminds me of the way people used to describe the US, a country where through hard work anyone can make it and thrive. As bad as Australia is today we are only comparing things to it's more egalitarian past, i feel it offers people so much more than almost any other country in the world. Our critique of Australia should be to maintain that high standard, to make sure we don't slip up and end up becoming a society where so many get left behind like in the US and Europe today

Last edited by Paddy234; 06-07-2022 at 04:36 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Once again, you are misattributing to me an argument I did not make. My claim is simply why the "colonialist" flag designs make sense even in the current day. I never said anything about why they are kept or should be kept or shouldn't be kept, but simply made an observation about why the flags are what they are.

If you want my believed REASON as for why they haven't changed... status quo bias in lieu of sufficient momentum to change either the current form of government or the flags that reflect said form. Or as others have stated the case in the more folksy vernacular.... don't fix what ain't broke.

Your view on the matter seems contradictory. On the one hand you ask why they won't change it, on the other you assert "[m]ost certainly the flag will change when the monarchy is thrown out." These are irreconcilable positions.
No this time you didn't understand what I wrote. I apologized for misunderstanding you the first time and addressed the reasons why you thought they would make sense for these nations to keep the flag and head of state. I simply asserted they don't make sense which they don't. I also acknowledged that you are speaking on this from someone who is very much on the outside so most likely wouldn't be familiar with people's attitudes toward the Union flag and Queen Here which is understandable. It really is quite peculiar even for someone on the inside

Also there is no contradiction. Don't argue with a strawman. Your obviously not reading my comments and therefore don't understand my position. I'll explain, i know a change is coming down the line. Most people in these two countries know it and want it eventually. What I want to know is people's thoughts on it TODAY and why haven't these nations changed it already and when will it actually come about, what will this change look like when it finally dies come about. I've lived in these 2 lands for just under 10 years and still never really understood the reasons for not going ahead with it. No-one ever really talks about it. When a few do talk about it I never notice them saying anything positive about the union flag or the Queen, they are just completely indifferent. I just find it amusing there isn't more drive to create something they are proud of rather than stick to something they are indifferent to

Last edited by Paddy234; 06-07-2022 at 04:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
What a bizarre couple of paragraphs.
Lol don't take it to heart mate. A considerable number of Australians were sickened how their fellow citizens were treated during the pandemic. It was truly surreal. In actual fact I believe Australia's response to the pandemic has still damaged it's reputation world-wide as a country that shunned it's own people. It definitely has lost it's reputation of being egalitarian

Old 06-07-2022, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Lol don't take it to heart mate. A considerable number of Australians were sickened how their fellow citizens were treated during the pandemic. It was truly surreal. In actual fact I believe Australia's response to the pandemic has still damaged it's reputation world-wide as a country that shunned it's own people. It definitely has lost it's reputation of being egalitarian
A reputation ill deserved and yet another cliché belonging in the past.
More suited for countries like Denmark , where the difference in earning from a CVEO to a worker is far more in line with egalitarian philosophy.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I agree greed has taken over Ireland, one can easily see this as it discards it's traditional values and identity to become a frontrunner in the global economy leaving behind so many. As for it's health system, while it is bad it certainly isn't out of the ordinary. Here in Western Australia the health system is a disgrace where a few people have died within recent months due to waiting 1-2 hours for an ambulance. Yet the Premier here likes to Brag how WA is paying for the rest of Australia and that it's economy is in a surplus. Unfortunately corruption has become the norm all across the west. I feel it was always bad here aswell but people were so well off they didn't care.

As for the multinational companies. This is where I disagree as this has catapulted Ireland into becoming a very highly skilled country and high wage economy. Those multinational companies employ around 25% of the private economy I believe. Ireland is a country that mostly focuses on finance, high tech, pharmaceuticals and agriculture. Those multinationals pay very high wages and provide highly skilled Jobs in the most reputable of companies. The skills and experience people gain from these industries allows them to advance and even start up their own companies which is already benefitting the country.

I find it strange when people mention multi nationals in Ireland as if it's a shock whenever the Saudi's and Russians own large chunks of the London economy and Paris. I mean they own almost all the reputable sports teams in the Premier league. 15% of all the UK's assets is accounted for by foreign owned companies. That's the way of the world today. The west is largely in the market of providing highly skilled services. Each economy tries to compete for these highly skilled companies to invest In their countries and provide highly paid and skilled Jobs. We don't produce near as much as we use to. That is left is to nations that pay their workers a fraction of what workers recieve in the west.

As for many being left behind. Ireland doesn't have the same problem today as Australia and especially New Zealand when it comes to house prices and housing debt but I couldn't agree more that many have been left behind in the economy. This is incredibly unfortunate and Australia economically has more to offer these people than the UK and Ireland ever could. Australia kind of reminds me of the way people used to describe the US, a country where through hard work anyone can make it and thrive. As bad as Australia is today we are only comparing things to it's more egalitarian past, i feel it offers people so much more than almost any other country in the world. Our critique of Australia should be to maintain that high standard, to make sure we don't slip up and end up becoming a society where so many get left behind like in the US and Europe today
Ireland of course is the biggest tax haven in the world. There's more tax evasion than all the Caribbean Islands combined. I don't see that in any way an example for others to emulate.
Housing affordability again remains a serious issue, making it feasible to ask if lesions were learnt from the last crash. London, is a city well known for the laundering of dirty money.
The thing about Ireland, it is mostly Dublin that has been changed by foreign companies setting up there. A bit like London centric in UK.

Ireland has a high personal debt, Australians carry more but all including New Zealanders and Canadians carry far too much personal debt for own good and definately for the good of the economy.

I don't see Australia as being especially good. If one has a comfortable position in UK or Ireland, I would definately think they should consider just why they would want to move to a country like Australia.
It doesn't offer more than the last European country, I lived in. Now days less.

What exactly are these high standards in Australia? A poor health system, poor aged care system, rather high corruption, education debatable as to standard, working life too often impacted by poor management and policy, to many regulations, no written constitution, highest personal indebted nation on earth, among highest house prices,
little in way of rent protection, limited night life, insular/parochial to a large extent. But yes at least the sun shines .

Old 06-07-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
No this time you didn't understand what I wrote. I apologized for misunderstanding you the first time and addressed the reasons why you thought they would make sense for these nations to keep the flag and head of state. I simply asserted they don't make sense which they don't. I also acknowledged that you are speaking on this from someone who is very much on the outside so most likely wouldn't be familiar with people's attitudes toward the Union flag and Queen Here which is understandable. It really is quite peculiar even for someone on the inside

Also there is no contradiction. Don't argue with a strawman. Your obviously not reading my comments and therefore don't understand my position. I'll explain, i know a change is coming down the line. Most people in these two countries know it and want it eventually. What I want to know is people's thoughts on it TODAY and why haven't these nations changed it already and when will it actually come about, what will this change look like when it finally dies come about. I've lived in these 2 lands for just under 10 years and still never really understood the reasons for not going ahead with it. No-one ever really talks about it. When a few do talk about it I never notice them saying anything positive about the union flag or the Queen, they are just completely indifferent. I just find it amusing there isn't more drive to create something they are proud of rather than stick to something they are indifferent to
It's called The Great Australian Stupor. It's where the famed laid back attitude comes from. Simply few give a 4X.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Ireland of course is the biggest tax haven in the world. There's more tax evasion than all the Caribbean Islands combined. I don't see that in any way an example for others to emulate.
Housing affordability again remains a serious issue, making it feasible to ask if lesions were learnt from the last crash. London, is a city well known for the laundering of dirty money.
The thing about Ireland, it is mostly Dublin that has been changed by foreign companies setting up there. A bit like London centric in UK.

Ireland has a high personal debt, Australians carry more but all including New Zealanders and Canadians carry far too much personal debt for own good and definately for the good of the economy.

I don't see Australia as being especially good. If one has a comfortable position in UK or Ireland, I would definately think they should consider just why they would want to move to a country like Australia.
It doesn't offer more than the last European country, I lived in. Now days less.

What exactly are these high standards in Australia? A poor health system, poor aged care system, rather high corruption, education debatable as to standard, working life too often impacted by poor management and policy, to many regulations, no written constitution, highest personal indebted nation on earth, among highest house prices,
little in way of rent protection, limited night life, insular/parochial to a large extent. But yes at least the sun shines .
Ireland's tax system is the reason for it's success. As I said 25% of the private economy is employed by these multinationals. Also it has increased it's corporate tax rate in the last year from 12% to 15%. The rate for companies earning under a billion Euro's is still 12.5%. This was due to international pressure by the OECD. The reality is any attempt that could jeopardize these companies from remaining in Ireland will be met with hostility not just by the political elite but also by the people.

As for why would one who is comfortable in the UK or Ireland move to Australia. This is something I'd love to talk about more on another thread as I'm sure there will be many different opinions on it. While all these countries together have high wages and a high standard of living, Australia really is the highest out of all the English speaking countries. Wages are higher and not just for some professions but the VAST majority of professions. Also lifestyle here is also a huge contributer. Ireland and the UK recieve a much colder and gloomer climate. Studies have shown this to have an effect on people's mental health during the winter months. Being able to enjoy a lifestyle Many in the UK and Ireland pay a significant amount on in their summer holidays is one of the biggest reasons. The UK/Ireland is mostly an indoor social scene. For those that love beaches, camping, water parks, beer gardens, outdoor festivals, long days outside with the kids etc Australia and New Zealand trump the UK and Ireland anyday of the week.

The last paragraph you wrote I agree with to an extent and if things get worse that might tip the balance but as things stand out of all the English speaking countries Australia still has the highest standard of living

Old 06-07-2022, 06:43 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Your old flag was a colonial flag. It didn't make sense to keep it now being an independent nation
Does the Queen still appear on Australia's currency? If so, Australia is not as Independent as one might think? Is Belize independent? If so, why does their currency depict the Queen? Are they still considered commonwealths of the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand