Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2022, 12:14 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Weird thing about Perth, to me, is how long and narrow that coastal strip is. Top to bottom it's about 100km in length. I appreciate that once you're a couple of blocks out of the CBD it feels very suburban/outer suburban. I guess that area around the CBD reminds me a bit of Parramatta; a few tall buildings in the middle of suburbia.
One of the longest cities in the world . I live inner city in Leederville and besides the constant drug traffic, does feel suburbia. Only minutes from entertainment but no sense of urgency or urban vibe. A bit odd. But is Adelaide different? Brisbane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 12:32 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
One of the longest cities in the world . I live inner city in Leederville and besides the constant drug traffic, does feel suburbia. Only minutes from entertainment but no sense of urgency or urban vibe. A bit odd. But is Adelaide different? Brisbane?
Brisbane feels much more like a city than Perth does, ime. I genuinely think it's the urban sprawl in Perth just starts so quickly. Like you say, minutes to entertainment but suburbia. There's no "inner city" vibe for want of a better word.

Adelaide, I haven't spent much time in but is pretty small and feels it.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Brisbane feels much more like a city than Perth does, ime. I genuinely think it's the urban sprawl in Perth just starts so quickly. Like you say, minutes to entertainment but suburbia. There's no "inner city" vibe for want of a better word.

Adelaide, I haven't spent much time in but is pretty small and feels it.
My feeling is it would not take very much to appear more like a city than Perth. I actually thought Adelaide had a better urban 'vibe' than Perth. Only visited four times so no real, in depth experience, but the buildings, the central market etc, appeared to me to invite a greater flow of people into the city.
Never been to Brisbane, but know of some that prefer it while others neutral .

I do find though the Elizabeth Quay development , that was supposed to 'enliven' Perth, another missed opportunity. So much so seldom bother going there. The centre does bring back memories of a smallish Essex town (English) centre in an odd sort of way.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:14 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
Brisbane has, about 150,000 people living in an around the CBD in a 30km2 block these days, so an average of 5000 per square km.

By the looks of things the suburbs to the east of Brisbane City (New Farm, Newstead, Teneriffe and Fortitude valley), has about the same number of people as the City of Vincent, (which appears to the densest area in greater Perth?) with the east Brisbane block been half the size of the City of Vincent (and Twice as dense of course).

Ex new farm the Newstead, Valley, Tenerife area has just over 22,000 people at an average of 7,100 per Square Km, which makes it the densest area of the city. There has been a bit of an apartment construction boom in that area, the population across those three was just below 14,000 at the 2016 census.

The Southern Block of Kangaroo Point, South Brisbane and West End has 38,000 people at just over 6200 per Square Km.

Of course in the big scheme of things neither city is at all dense, and great examples of massive urban Sprawl, but it would certainly appear that Brisbane is a lot more dense than Perth in and around its urban core.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-13-2022 at 12:32 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 07:44 PM

Yes City of Vincent is my locality and lived within its boundaries a considerable time. (I term it Iceland these days, but I digress) New developments tend not to appease the aesthetics of the area (to say the least) One can only hazard a guess at how some planning submitted gets the go ahead.

But there is most definately plans to increase density here and it will happen, just how much, if at all, it will 'improve' the area remains to be seen.

This area would score the highest or close to in walkability stakes in Perth. Good public transport links and an increasingly young demographic.

We still have a way to catch up with Brisbane obviously, but as you rightly point out, neither are or will be in the medium term very densely populated.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:32 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times
Quote:
Weird thing about Perth, to me, is how long and narrow that coastal strip is. Top to bottom it's about 100km in length. I appreciate that once you're a couple of blocks out of the CBD it feels very suburban/outer suburban, which doesn't help with sprawl, but it's like everyone wants a quarter acre block next to the beach.

I guess that area around the CBD reminds me a bit of Parramatta; a few tall buildings in the middle of suburbia.
Two reasons. When people think of Perth they think of the amazing beaches so they usually want to be close to them, us included. Second, Perth is hot enough in summer on the coast, it's a few degrees warmer inland which means 40C plus days are more common. We are living in an inland suburb at the moment until our build is finish and it gets very hot in summer, noticeably more than the coast.

Also quarter acre blocks in Perth are mostly a thing of the past. 500m2 would now be considered a decent size in new suburbs

Old 08-14-2022, 01:59 AM

Yes beach obviously commands a prime price . Although IMO, a little over rated. But regardless will always be popular. Population has increased radically from when I first lived in Perth. More than doubled. Odd though plenty more cars on the road, but don't really detect much more vibe over the decades. Is that due to the ever sprawling suburbs? I guess so. But in the process of this growth living standards how declined.

Old 08-14-2022, 03:28 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times
Quote:
Yes beach obviously commands a prime price . Although IMO, a little over rated. But regardless will always be popular. Population has increased radically from when I first lived in Perth. More than doubled. Odd though plenty more cars on the road, but don't really detect much more vibe over the decades. Is that due to the ever sprawling suburbs? I guess so. But in the process of this growth living standards how declined.
It must be the sprawl because we were at safety bay last year which is a stunning beach and we were the only ones there on a weekend afternoon. There were a few others way further up and down the beach but we had so much of the beach to ourselves and it's stunning. Similar to the beaches in the Mediterranean. Obviously because people are spread so far up the coast only a few of the most popular beaches are ever busy like Scarborough.

As for sprawl. Perth's size is over 6000m2 however greater Sydney is over 12000m2 so much more spread out. Of course Sydney has more population inland and it's city population is around 250,000 compared to a mere 40,000 in Perth so the city of Perth itself definitely needs to increase. More densely populated high quality apartments need to be developed however it is happening. I see alot advertisements for apartments for sale around the city. I've also heard of a few not going ahead due to the material and skilled worker shortage so Perth definitely needs more skilled tradies to build more houses and apartments so it can get ahead of this housing crisis. So much opportunity especially with the UK according to the bank of England about to enter the deepest recession since 2009. Many will hopefully come over and bring their skills with them

Old 08-14-2022, 04:08 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
It must be the sprawl because we were at safety bay last year which is a stunning beach and we were the only ones there on a weekend afternoon. There were a few others way further up and down the beach but we had so much of the beach to ourselves and it's stunning. Similar to the beaches in the Mediterranean. Obviously because people are spread so far up the coast only a few of the most popular beaches are ever busy like Scarborough.

As for sprawl. Perth's size is over 6000m2 however greater Sydney is over 12000m2 so much more spread out. Of course Sydney has more population inland and it's city population is around 250,000 compared to a mere 40,000 in Perth so the city of Perth itself definitely needs to increase. More densely populated high quality apartments need to be developed however it is happening. I see alot advertisements for apartments for sale around the city. I've also heard of a few not going ahead due to the material and skilled worker shortage so Perth definitely needs more skilled tradies to build more houses and apartments so it can get ahead of this housing crisis. So much opportunity especially with the UK according to the bank of England about to enter the deepest recession since 2009. Many will hopefully come over and bring their skills with them
That's the Metropolitan Area, it includes all areas of "functional extent" for each capital, Basically Sydney and Brisbane are much larger in area than the other capitals because they have a much larger number of small towns around them than the others, and national parks, which separate the urban center and the rural towns

Almost 7000 square Km or the Sydney Metro area does not have a single person living in it its national park, and the next 4000 square km is nothing but rural farmland.

Brisbane comes in at 15,850 square km, with includes 5000 square km or national park, and 9,500 square km of rural farmland.

This is a to scale comparison of the actual urban area of each of Australia's major cites, and the urban population you will note the Gold Coast is included with Brisbane, despite the fact they are two metropolitan areas.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/1b...0ca552498a.jpg

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-14-2022 at 05:26 AM..

Old 08-14-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post

You wrote it quality apartments are what is needed. Over priced and poorly constructed being too often the case in my vicinity. Perth is about making fast money with least effort and the building side have not 'let us down' in that area. Many sites employ labour from China or Philippines or similar countries. A site down from me suddenly had what sounded like Brazilians a few months back, but within two weeks they has disappeared. Perhaps their very loud South American music caused neighbourhood complaints? No idea. What never sighted again.

All very well bringing tradies in, if they do what they were recruited for and not engage in other activities. But with growing interest rates, surely demand will be so that large numbers will not be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand