Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 04:41 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,310,435 times

Advertisements

Coming to this side of the world nearly ten years ago I have lived in both NZ and now OZ. Both countries are quite similar in terms of culture but I have also noticed how multicultural they have become especially Australia. Both nation's flag with only subtle differences are colonial in nature however this is something I find quite strange today given how long they have been independent and the cultural differences that are emerging. I could understand this many decades ago when both nations was in some way still heavily attached to Britain through both World Wars and by encouraging migration from there however most migrants today are from all over Asia, this will only grow even further.

A nation's flag is a symbol of it's national identity and typically with ex colonial nations a symbol of their self determination is creating a flag that symbolizes the birth of a new independent nation. Why hasn't Australia and New Zealand done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 06:25 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
The cost I would imagine, both actual and opportunity.

In Australia we need to have a full referendum to change it, only 19 have of these have occurred since 1901, and only 8 have been successful.

The reality is I don't think people worry about what the flag all that much, they are far more worried about their jobs and health etc.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:48 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
I think a lot of us just regard our flag as portraying our history and our geography. Same as if we become a republic, there is a lot of cost involved, people would need to agree on an alternative and the rest of the world hardly know we exist anyway.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
If it ain't broke yet and still works fine the way it is then why try to fix it?

Creating a new flag for a nation isn't as easy as it sounds. There needs to be a good reason to do it that is important enough for everyone to be in agreement with it, the new design requires a collaborative effort to come up with and agreement by all citizens of the nation, and it's time consuming and it's costly.

Just look at how many years and collaborative effort and mutual agreement was needed when Canada was creating a new flag for itself: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...a-history.html

I think when all of the citizens of Australia and New Zealand feel that the time is right and they have an important enough reason and are finally ready to each create new flags for themselves they will do it.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If it ain't broke yet and still works fine the way it is then why try to fix it?

I agree. The flags are fine the way they are. Quite nice IMO. I wish Canada wouldn't have changed it's flag. the previous one was very nice.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:54 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Creating a new flag for a nation isn't as easy as it sounds. There needs to be a good reason to do it that is important enough for everyone to be in agreement with it, the new design requires a collaborative effort to come up with and agreement by all citizens of the nation, and it's time consuming and it's costly.

Just look at how many years and collaborative effort and mutual agreement was needed when Canada was creating a new flag for itself: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...a-history.html

I think when all of the citizens of Australia and New Zealand feel that the time is right and they have an important enough reason and are finally ready to each create new flags for themselves they will do it.

It would be far easier if we could change it like Canada did in the 1960's (Via Government without the referendum).

It might also be easier to achieve if a vote was held as a dual referendum with another issue that Australians might far find more important, and worth of a vote in the first place. In 1977 for instance four questions were asked on the same day, resulting in 3 of the 8 positive votes since 1901

The first one that got through, was one to allow residents of the ACT and NT to vote in referendums to start with.

The Second was that when a seat in the federal senate becomes vacant a person of the same party must be reappointed by the state. (The QLD Conversative Governments decision to totally ignore the lefts preferred choice of senators when a member of that left died, and appoint a person who hated the federal government in the deceased senators place, ultimately lead to the the 1975 dismissal of the labor (Left) government by the Governor General).

The third was to impose a compulsory retirement age on federal court judges.

Clearly its very doubtful, the the 3rd issue would have even gone to the referendum in the first place if they did not also ask the other two questions.

The 1977 vote was also the last time a yes vote was ever made in a referendum in Australia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-23-2022 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2022, 09:17 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Just had a thought! Let’s have a referendum to allow Western Australia to leave the country, as they clearly want to, and then have a choice of new flag for the rest of us.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I agree. The flags are fine the way they are. Quite nice IMO. I wish Canada wouldn't have changed it's flag. the previous one was very nice.
Your old flag was a colonial flag. It didn't make sense to keep it now being an independent nation

Old 01-23-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The cost I would imagine, both actual and opportunity.

In Australia we need to have a full referendum to change it, only 19 have of these have occurred since 1901, and only 8 have been successful.

The reality is I don't think people worry about what the flag all that much, they are far more worried about their jobs and health etc.

Of course all those things are important but so is defining a nation's unique identity. To be honest i don't think Australians have developed the sort of patiotism you have in other more established nations which is down to it's youth. This is perhaps why so few want any sort of change, Australia's identity is still being developed. As the population grows and becomes more diverse aswell as it's influence In the world stage increasing this will certainly change things

Old 01-23-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Just had a thought! Let’s have a referendum to allow Western Australia to leave the country, as they clearly want to, and then have a choice of new flag for the rest of us.
Most people in WA don't want to leave and I feel it would be foolish If they did. Australia is stronger as one nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand