Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 01:16 AM

1,229 posts, read 728,659 times

Advertisements

I have worked in every Capital City in AU.
In any City one needs to have 'personal awareness' if you intend to walk the streets. Invariably these 'streets' are in the nightclub strips or the entertainment and red light districts. And right off let me say nothing good ever happens after 2.00am on the streets. You dont have to look for trouble, it will find you.....
The last punch up I've been involved in was in Northbridge, Perth in 2015.
I lived in the Valley in Brisbane for 9 months, never a problem, same as Adelaide, never an issue.
My home town Darwin ? There are some suburbs I would not walk home from the Pub for fear of being mugged nowadays.
Alice Springs, youth crime is rampant, same there, I wouldn'T be out on the streets after dark.
I've flown in and out of Perth ( for work ) since 1999. Always liked the place, except it always cool and wet in the winter months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 03:26 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,970,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I find it strange you found it much safer in London than both Perth and Dublin when London has a higher crime rate than both these cities.

As you can see here London has significantly more crime than Perth

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
It also has a higher crime rate than Dublin

Also London has a higher crime rate than Los Angeles, that truly puts into perspective how dangerous London is

Perth has a moderate crime level, that is according to the stats. Therefore Perth certainly hasn't got a crime problem similar to much of Europe or the US
Not sure just why you would find that strange. London is an Alpha city. There are people about all night. Hence I'm unsure what the stats prove. London has more crime as far, far bigger but less chance of being targeted for sole reason of being only or close to only person about.

Best discard the stats a bit I think, and look at the reality. Australia has more drug crime than UK. Perth is rated among the top city for meth consumption in the world. (was top) I don't call that moderate. My area it is everywhere. I doubt anywhere in Europe would be in the situation I find myself here. I have lived years over there.

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2022 at 10:11 PM..

Old 06-06-2022, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
I have worked in every Capital City in AU.
In any City one needs to have 'personal awareness' if you intend to walk the streets. Invariably these 'streets' are in the nightclub strips or the entertainment and red light districts. And right off let me say nothing good ever happens after 2.00am on the streets. You dont have to look for trouble, it will find you.....
The last punch up I've been involved in was in Northbridge, Perth in 2015.
I lived in the Valley in Brisbane for 9 months, never a problem, same as Adelaide, never an issue.
My home town Darwin ? There are some suburbs I would not walk home from the Pub for fear of being mugged nowadays.
Alice Springs, youth crime is rampant, same there, I wouldn'T be out on the streets after dark.
I've flown in and out of Perth ( for work ) since 1999. Always liked the place, except it always cool and wet in the winter months...
I've lived inner city twenty years (Perth) only became aware of the meth crisis on a personal lever in 2019 when it landed next to me. Only became aware of the extent of the problem a year , perhaps year and a half ago. Quite horrifying when learn the extent and how it operates and how little can be done about it.

North Bridge, I used to find amusing so many people wouldn't go there at night in fear of their safety. I found previously mostly drunken punch ups, but the meth scourge has introduced a new dimension.

I'd say Alice was definitely the worse with Darwin second. I believe all these places are far worse than back in the nineties. Add places like Broome to that.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:51 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,321,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not sure just why you would find that strange. London is an Alpha city. There are people about all night. Hence I'm unsure what the stats prove. London has more crime as far, far bigger but less chance of being targeted for sole reason of being only or close to only person about.

Best discard the stats a bit I think, and look at the reality. Australia has more drug crime than UK. Perth is rated among the top city for meth consumption in the world. (was top) I don't call that moderate. My area it is everywhere. I doubt anywhere in Europe would be in the situation I find myself here. I have lived years over there.
It's strange because the stats prove it otherwise and I've never heard anyone refer to it as usually a Safe city, an exciting and amazing city by many but certainly not known as safe. Also while yes it's population is higher those stats are per capita so London is rated very high for crime rate which I expected though didn't expect it to be higher than LA.

Also there is not more drug crime in Australia than the UK. In 2020/21 there were over 210,000 drug offenses in England and Wales alone https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-9039/ compared to 154,000 in Australia though this number goes back a few years https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illi...llicit%20drugs.

There's no point disregarding stats when talking about reality, stats give the clearest view of reality if they are accurate enough. Our personal experiences do not. Also while Perth may Have one of the highest usage of meth that certainly doesn't mean it has a higher usage of drugs in general. The US and UK each have a much higher percentage of the population who use drugs

https://www.verywellmind.com/us-has-...drug-use-67909

Again I'm not playing down the problem here but Perth certainly isn't the US or UK. It no doubt has a drug problem but not at this level

Old 06-06-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
It's strange because the stats prove it otherwise and I've never heard anyone refer to it as usually a Safe city, an exciting and amazing city by many but certainly not known as safe. Also while yes it's population is higher those stats are per capita so London is rated very high for crime rate which I expected though didn't expect it to be higher than LA.

Also there is not more drug crime in Australia than the UK. In 2020/21 there were over 210,000 drug offenses in England and Wales alone https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-9039/ compared to 154,000 in Australia though this number goes back a few years https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illi...llicit%20drugs.

There's no point disregarding stats when talking about reality, stats give the clearest view of reality if they are accurate enough. Our personal experiences do not. Also while Perth may Have one of the highest usage of meth that certainly doesn't mean it has a higher usage of drugs in general. The US and UK each have a much higher percentage of the population who use drugs

https://www.verywellmind.com/us-has-...drug-use-67909

Again I'm not playing down the problem here but Perth certainly isn't the US or UK. It no doubt has a drug problem but not at this level
It most certainly is a severe problem. As for Australia does more drugs than UK, but they smoke more and consume more alcohol. Both ABC 29 March 15 and Guardian 11 may 15 stated as much. Far worse since then but less in media about it as meth has become mainstream. We speak on a per capita basis and Australia has one of highest drug abuse in the world.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:21 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,029,605 times
Quote:
It most certainly is a severe problem. As for Australia does more drugs than UK, but they smoke more and consume more alcohol. Both ABC 29 March 15 and Guardian 11 may 15 stated as much. Far worse since then but less in media about it as meth has become mainstream. We speak on a per capita basis and Australia has one of highest drug abuse in the world.
That does not surprise me.. Anyway I think Australia is too soft on drug crime especially the drug dealers of the hard drugs and it should be more harsh. BTW I don't understand the outrage of the Australians sentenced to death for drug trafficing i Indonesia some years ago. I don't have a good opinion on the hard drug dealers.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
That does not surprise me.. Anyway I think Australia is too soft on drug crime especially the drug dealers of the hard drugs and it should be more harsh. BTW I don't understand the outrage of the Australians sentenced to death for drug trafficing i Indonesia some years ago. I don't have a good opinion on the hard drug dealers.
Although I agree in principle with tough laws, those laws need to be enforced to make them of value. My sense is that boat has passed and we need to look at what will work. Only thing I can see is to legalize , at least some drugs, definitely meth, which is too easy to make and creating a massive black market and in turn distorting the economy. Besides other all too obvious negatives . To make something work, you need all on board that are in a position .
Drugs are a major issue in Australia and not a dicky bird about this blight on society and us as a nation in the just held election.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:35 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,029,605 times
Quote:
Although I agree in principle with tough laws, those laws need to be enforced to make them of value. My sense is that boat has passed and we need to look at what will work. Only thing I can see is to legalize , at least some drugs, definitely meth, which is too easy to make and creating a massive black market and in turn distorting the economy. Besides other all too obvious negatives . To make something work, you need all on board that are in a position .
Drugs are a major issue in Australia and not a dicky bird about this blight on society and us as a nation in the just held election.
Well Portugal did legalise all drugs in 2001, and was seen as a role model for all drug reformers, however this has not been the case: Portugal’s decriminalisation has produced increased drug use and increased deaths.

Portugal decriminalised all drugs in July 2001. By 2007, use of any illicit drug had
risen by 9%. This was followed by decreases in drug use by 2012, in line with
decreases in other European countries. By 2017 though, drug use was 59% HIGHER
than in 2001. This represents a failure in Portugal’s drug policy.
Use of any drug by high-school students aged 16 and over was 36% HIGHER in 2011
than it was in 2001, despite initial decreases up to 2006. According to a separate
ESPAD survey, use of cannabis by 16 year old high-school students was 59% HIGHER
in 2015 than before decriminalisation.
Claims that decriminalisation in Portugal was responsible for reduced opiate use fail
to recognise that opiate use was already falling BEFORE July 2001, from 0.9% in
1998 to 0.7% in 2000. A successful opiate reduction strategy was already in place
before decriminalisation.
Claims that Portugal’s drug use fell below European averages likewise fails to note
that Portugal has always, other than for heroin use, been below European averages.
In 2001, Portugal’s drug use per capita was one-fifth that of Australia’s.
Those overdose deaths in Portugal which are directly comparable to Australian
overdoses have INCREASED 59% since 2001https://www.dalgarnoinstitute.org.au...ember_2018.pdf

Old 06-07-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well Portugal did legalise all drugs in 2001, and was seen as a role model for all drug reformers, however this has not been the case: Portugal’s decriminalisation has produced increased drug use and increased deaths.

Portugal decriminalised all drugs in July 2001. By 2007, use of any illicit drug had
risen by 9%. This was followed by decreases in drug use by 2012, in line with
decreases in other European countries. By 2017 though, drug use was 59% HIGHER
than in 2001. This represents a failure in Portugal’s drug policy.
Use of any drug by high-school students aged 16 and over was 36% HIGHER in 2011
than it was in 2001, despite initial decreases up to 2006. According to a separate
ESPAD survey, use of cannabis by 16 year old high-school students was 59% HIGHER
in 2015 than before decriminalisation.
Claims that decriminalisation in Portugal was responsible for reduced opiate use fail
to recognise that opiate use was already falling BEFORE July 2001, from 0.9% in
1998 to 0.7% in 2000. A successful opiate reduction strategy was already in place
before decriminalisation.
Claims that Portugal’s drug use fell below European averages likewise fails to note
that Portugal has always, other than for heroin use, been below European averages.
In 2001, Portugal’s drug use per capita was one-fifth that of Australia’s.
Those overdose deaths in Portugal which are directly comparable to Australian
overdoses have INCREASED 59% since 2001https://www.dalgarnoinstitute.org.au...ember_2018.pdf
I wasn't aware that Portugal was deemed a failure. It is often held up as an example for those wanting to at least decriminalize drugs. I must look more into that,.

Back to Australia, I really don't see a choice. It's a massive money spinner and lets say the will to get on top of it is lacking. Sadly it is very self evident around me. I won't write too much, except to say I was astounded at the level of drug meth manufacture and the type doing it (probably nothing what you would expect) and how they protect themselves from outside scrutiny and turn the tables that makes them the law abiding ones. No way is this going to be won by normal means. At least legalizing will remove the profit motive from those doing well from peddling this grub drug.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:30 PM

Anyway we are getting away from the thread with regards to if Perth is an awesome city. Something I would strongly dispute . My thoughts would be along the lines, if self contained, enjoy suburban living, not seeking a buzzy sort of city, enjoy a warm climate , perhaps beach, Perth may suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand