Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 06:42 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times

Advertisements

I have to say watching some random go to pieces on the internet over poorly interpreted demography stats is pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 07:15 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Airplane View Post
You can repeat this as many times as you want, it doesn't make it true. It's ludicrous to think that Australians don't care about race - and it's a widely held opinion among Black Americans that Australians are super racist.

You're from a white, homogeneous country. You speak like you're ignorant.

That's a whole absurd list of assumptions. All of this stuff is informed by intergenerational ethnic diversity, which you need to acknowledge to understand cultures and what comprises them.

This is a completely dumb and rudimentary way of splitting diversity.

Also, if this is your particular definition of diversity - then you can't be so hostile to other common sense definitions of diversity.

Race, ethnicity, etc, are not concepts that Americans invented, you ****ing retard. You keep talking about eye color and hair color, all of which are coextensive with concepts of race and ethnicity. You're such a ****ing idiot - you're lashing out at concepts of race and ethnicity because you can't accept that you're a much more homogeneous country than America.

...yes tf they do.

1) Yes, there are literally entire Instagram meme accounts devoted to "ethnic Australians". "When you have an ethnic mum" etc, it's incredibly common for Australians to discuss genealogy. It's so bizarre when you people blindly try to insist they don't.

2) Then you get into this weird straw man where you're trying to claim Americans are treating ethnicity like nationality - no, we're treating ethnicity like ethnicity. Not like we hold citizenship.

See, I'm sure you wouldn't understand this, coming from such an overwhelmingly homogeneous, inbred, racially and ethnically boring British outpost, but Americans are a heritage of a mixture of different ethnicites, races, religions, and more, which often mixed and coalesced into their own unique local cultures like Louisiana Creole, Gullah-Geechee, Findians, Punjabi Mexicans, Redbones, Yellowbones, Melungeons, and more...Australia doesn't have **** like this. You're a homogeneous country.

Up until 2021, the vast majority of immigrants to Australia were British - 900,000+ of them, to be exact. You're already an 80% white and 50%+ white Anglo-Celtic society. You're just not diverse.

Nothing in this paragraph is remotely true . Do I need to lay out the facts and common sense again?

- Heritage doesn't disappear just because someone was born here - so this is an incredibly rudimentary way to gauge societal diversity. No one is saying they aren't American.

- The US has always received way more immigration than Australia, and has always received a much more diverse source of immigrants than Australia. You're trying to dismiss history that informs diversity because you're butthurt that Australia doesn't really have a long history of diverse immigration like the US does.

- As I said above, you're comparing two different countries of radically different scale with radically different levels of historical development. The US has 50 MILLION IMMIGRANTS IN A GIVEN YEAR. Your stupid proportion of your Texas-sized country really doesn't mean ****. Especially because the sources of immigration to Australia looked like this in 2020:

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/pe...latest-release

13% of your population were British immigrants! They topped the list!

- The US has a wide open border and extraordinarily lax immigration laws compared to Australia - what an absolute joke that you'd even try to claim that.

Allow me to post the figures again:

These were the sources of immigrants to Australia in 2013:

These were the sources of immigrants to America in the 2010s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr..._States#Origin

Lets get over ourselves, Paddy, your country is nowhere near as diverse as the US - as I explained:

Australia doesn't have this. You have an utterly bland, homogeneous culture from top to bottom - 95% of it is directly transplanted American or British cultural elements. There's hardly any regional differences. You're trying to say race, ethnicity, religion, etc, don't matter because your country just isn't diverse by all of these normal standards.
Your own link also clearly stated by far the biggest source of immigrants to Australia these days is India and that 3.8% of Australis population was born in England, which is about 12.6% of the immigrant population. The UK does remain the single biggest source, mostly because of a massive immigration wave from the end of WW2 up to the 1980's, overall the total number British immigrants living in Australia has been pretty much stagnant for 50 years, in 1971 it was 1,017,981,754 - in 2021 its 1,108,408.

The net growth (Arrivals - Departs and Deaths). in Australia's immigrant population over a 20 year period to 2021 was + 2,965,011 of which the UK accounted for 75,273 or 2.54% of total immigration growth. India accounted for 19.5% of it, with China, the Philippines, New Zealand and Nepal, making out the top 5. the UK was 12th behind Iraq (11th).

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-08-2022 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-08-2022, 07:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
No one said there was no diversity to be found in Australia - it's found in most western countries these days.

But significant and diverse immigration has been happening for far longer in the US - that imbues a society with its own distinct characteristics - and that's still continuing to this day with new groups.

Australia's continental European, African, and especially it's Latin American populations, are practically non-existent, they're so small. Whereas the US has significant immigration from all of those regions named.

And is there a recognized "NT Aussie accent"? It seems to small and historically sparse a population to develop separately. Could you give me literature on that?
I tend to agree with this. Australia has come rather late in the diversity stakes compared to The States, The UK or Canada. (but also Netherlands and France)

Asian immigration didn't really make an impression until the eighties in a sea of considerable resistance. There were next to no Black migrants visible until well into the 21st Century.
Indian and other Sub Continentals were small in number until the first decade of this century. Then numbers did increase rapidly, now making this group topping the yearly migration places of birth, displacing the Chinese.

Australia's far smaller population makes it more visible obviously , but also coming from such a low per cent on visible migration numbers until modern times.
I have lived in Darwin, never noticed a NT accent , although geographic and population differences do influence different outcomes to other areas of the nation.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:18 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I have to say watching some random go to pieces on the internet over poorly interpreted demography stats is pretty funny.
And completely irrelevant as to whether Australia will become a Republic, or stay a Monarchy.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:25 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
And completely irrelevant as to whether Australia will become a Republic, or stay a Monarchy.
Indeed.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:43 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Born overseas stats are not the entire story though when it comes to diversity measurement, is it?

Identity politics do exist in Australia, as in The States, just not as in your face. Then Australia does not have the diversity of The States. Nevertheless, Italians, born here, term themselves Italians when the term suits or mood takes. Most of those lands are not Asian as you claim, but they are an ever increasing percent and will in time be the majority in ethnic make up most likely.
I have heard Chinese refer to themselves as Chinese/Australians (AC's) and even African Australians.
I never claimed most people who live in Australia are Asian, i said the highest number of migrants come from Asia and India today. Also racial diversity has no bearing in this conversation, i'm not going to get into it because it is the biggest load of rubbish people use to divide us. I've Never heard in the media or in my own personal experience people refer to themselves as Italian or African Australian unless they were born there. I'm sure there might be the odd person but it's certainly not common.

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-08-2022 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-08-2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
You can repeat this as many times as you want, it doesn't make it true. It's ludicrous to think that Australians don't care about race - and it's a widely held opinion among Black Americans that Australians are super racist.

You're from a white, homogeneous country. You speak like you're ignorant.

That's a whole absurd list of assumptions. All of this stuff is informed by intergenerational ethnic diversity, which you need to acknowledge to understand cultures and what comprises them.

This is a completely dumb and rudimentary way of splitting diversity.

Also, if this is your particular definition of diversity - then you can't be so hostile to other common sense definitions of diversity.

Race, ethnicity, etc, are not concepts that Americans invented, you ****ing retard. You keep talking about eye color and hair color, all of which are coextensive with concepts of race and ethnicity. You're such a ****ing idiot - you're lashing out at concepts of race and ethnicity because you can't accept that you're a much more homogeneous country than America.

...yes tf they do.

1) Yes, there are literally entire Instagram meme accounts devoted to "ethnic Australians". "When you have an ethnic mum" etc, it's incredibly common for Australians to discuss genealogy. It's so bizarre when you people blindly try to insist they don't.

2) Then you get into this weird straw man where you're trying to claim Americans are treating ethnicity like nationality - no, we're treating ethnicity like ethnicity. Not like we hold citizenship.

See, I'm sure you wouldn't understand this, coming from such an overwhelmingly homogeneous, inbred, racially and ethnically boring British outpost, but Americans are a heritage of a mixture of different ethnicites, races, religions, and more, which often mixed and coalesced into their own unique local cultures like Louisiana Creole, Gullah-Geechee, Findians, Punjabi Mexicans, Redbones, Yellowbones, Melungeons, and more...Australia doesn't have **** like this. You're a homogeneous country.

Up until 2021, the vast majority of immigrants to Australia were British - 900,000+ of them, to be exact. You're already an 80% white and 50%+ white Anglo-Celtic society. You're just not diverse.

Nothing in this paragraph is remotely true . Do I need to lay out the facts and common sense again?

- Heritage doesn't disappear just because someone was born here - so this is an incredibly rudimentary way to gauge societal diversity. No one is saying they aren't American.

- The US has always received way more immigration than Australia, and has always received a much more diverse source of immigrants than Australia. You're trying to dismiss history that informs diversity because you're butthurt that Australia doesn't really have a long history of diverse immigration like the US does.

- As I said above, you're comparing two different countries of radically different scale with radically different levels of historical development. The US has 50 MILLION IMMIGRANTS IN A GIVEN YEAR. Your stupid proportion of your Texas-sized country really doesn't mean ****. Especially because the sources of immigration to Australia looked like this in 2020:

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/pe...latest-release

13% of your population were British immigrants! They topped the list!

- The US has a wide open border and extraordinarily lax immigration laws compared to Australia - what an absolute joke that you'd even try to claim that.

Allow me to post the figures again:

These were the sources of immigrants to Australia in 2013:

These were the sources of immigrants to America in the 2010s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr..._States#Origin

Lets get over ourselves, Paddy, your country is nowhere near as diverse as the US - as I explained:

Australia doesn't have this. You have an utterly bland, homogeneous culture from top to bottom - 95% of it is directly transplanted American or British cultural elements. There's hardly any regional differences. You're trying to say race, ethnicity, religion, etc, don't matter because your country just isn't diverse by all of these normal standards.
I'm from a white homogenous country so i must be ignorant? Someone from the US needs to come on here and drag this guy off as what an absolute embarrassment comment this is to the American people. What are you doing on an Australian sub anyway embarrassing yourself by not able to interpret your own graphs? It's clear you have some personal issues you need sorting out, it's not needed here. Try and be civil or leave

Also don't tell me that Americans don't use ethnicity to claim nationality. Plenty of Americans like to claim they are as Irish as i am and that they know more about Irish history and current political affairs than we do and it's the same with those with Italian or Russian etc. It's the most condescending thing some Americans are known for in Europe. This doesn't happen in the UK or Australia. They don't refer to themselves as Irish English or African English, white English or Black English as a form of identity. It would be laughable so leave that nonsense out of here

I'll explain again leave race out of this. It has NO bearing on CULTURAL and NATIONAL diversity which is what i was referring to by claiming 30% of Australia's population were born in different land and cultures including the UK because that to is a different culture and land. Who CARES about race, i made it quite clear i wasn't referring to this as it has no bearing on cultural or national diversity. Skin colour is superficial. Culture is not. Heritage also isn't an indicator because while the VAST majority of Australian ancestry is Anglo/Celtic it's culture today is VERY different to Ireland/UK. Americans with Irish or Italian, African heritage are JUST American, thats it. They'll never be Irish or African or Italian no matter how hard they try. My kids are Australian, they will never be Irish even though it is in their blood. At the end of the day our heritage doesn't/shouldn't define our behaviour, our heritage is nothing more than a memory of where our ancestors came from. To claim 95% of Australia's culture is supplanted American or British shows you haven't got a clue what you are talking about, what absolute rubbish. You truly need to see some of the world as you your making wild assumptions about a country you have never been to but convinced your an expert on

As for US immigration, Australia has a FAR more open immigration system in proportion to it's population which is why 30% of it's population were born overseas compared to just 15% in the US. The US is well known as a country where you have to be on a much more narrow skill list than Australia or have an significant amount of money to invest. In Australia there are pathways for a wide number of occupations such as Chefs, Plumbers, Builders, Engineers, Nurses, Care workers etc to come here, not just the highest skills. The skills list is MUCH larger which is WHY there is a greater number of migrants in proportion to the overall population than the US though the US has more migrants overall largely because it's a bigger economy with more opportunities overall and easier for illegal migrants to navigate. Australia is one of the easiest county's to migrate to https://visaguide.world/tips/easiest...-immigrate-to/

Proportion is EVERYTHING because while Australia has less migrants overall than the US it will still feel more culturally diverse due to 30% of it's people being born in DIFFERENT cultures (including UK) and lands therefore Australia is more diverse now run along now and stop trying to convince us that the USA is the BEST at everything, that myth died long ago lol

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-09-2022 at 12:11 AM..

Old 10-08-2022, 11:43 PM

Anyway back on topic. There is quite a number of people voting for Australia to remain with the monarchy yet no poster has tried to explain why. Hopefully someone will or else i'll remain quite suspicious that such posters don't even live in Australia lol

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-09-2022 at 12:09 AM..

Old 10-09-2022, 12:10 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Especially when the poster they are arguing with is Irish!

And also amusing that the person seems to be assuming that all of our British immigrants are white. Our friends who immigrated are respectively of Pakistani heritage and Chinese Malaysian heritage. Were 100% British but now proud Aussies.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Especially when the poster they are arguing with is Irish!

And also amusing that the person seems to be assuming that all of our British immigrants are white. Our friends who immigrated are respectively of Pakistani heritage and Chinese Malaysian heritage. Were 100% British but now proud Aussies.
I'm not even Australian... yet which i have explained so i find it crazy that i am getting attacked for being ignorant of cultural diversity when i live in a land that is culturally different to my homeland by a poster who thinks Australia is just a mix of American and British culture lol

To be honest race has to be one of the most superficial measurements for diversity and most nonsensical. What bearing does one's physical features such as skin colour have on their behaviour? If we really go down the route of using skin colour as a measurement for diversity why stop there? What other physical features should we use? Jefferson is using skin colour because he believes it to be relevant to this discussion about diverse cultures and nationalities. It isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand