Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 05:36 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yes it does - if you bothered to read your own link, and the post you are replying to you will note I said "These Days" as in the current immigration intakes, and there is a graph, where it says India had a gain of 53,500 and the UK 10,720.

I also then gave a bit of a description of how Australia's immigrant population has changed over the last 20 years. Surely that is enough for you to know exactly what I am talking about, are are you simply too much of a denialist to accept facts?

I doubt there would be many Australians who are unware of the great British migration after WW2 (My mum was one of them, and I am a British Citizen Myself as a result), however as also mentioned that pretty much ceased or at least was scaled back considerably in the 1980's.
Australia's immigration program found it ever harder to attract migrants from Europe with the expansion of the EU. Who would want to travel so far to the other end of the world when people from Southern Europe could work in Germany, Netherlands , UK and so on?

In more recent times the enhancement of living standards for Brit's moving to Australia, has become less clear cut. Those that would be tempted are often most likely not able to qualify.

Another big contribution to Australian immigration is the International Student Visa. To attract students in vast numbers the ability to remain in Australia is a great selling point in a time of international competition with likeminded countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 06:04 PM

474 posts, read 263,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Someone from The States may more likely have living experience of what diversity is, (depending on from where in States, lives obviously)

It is hardly fair to compare Australia where real diversity remains a policy of only four decades or so, with the 21st Century witnessing a change in migration source countries in terms of absolute numbers.
On what grounds can you confidently declare that culture has no bearing on national identity or is of no importance?

It will depend on numerous factors. It is not only Australian born Anglo/Celtic born that decides on culture. If you have been to The States you should have noted there is very much a Black American culture , and an ever growing Latino culture. A lot will depend on numbers in a particular area.

Australia does not feel more diverse than The States. We are rather new to the diversity game. We remain still (but declining) British born heading the overseas born numbers. Something long passed in The States and Canada.

Canada, to my mind appears more diverse than Australia. I think demographics will support that. Australia is a rather easy country to immigrate to which in itself does not necessarily bid well for the future.
This!

I'd also point out that currently six US states with 80M+ are already majority minority, (Non-Hispanic white = < 50.1%). A further 11 states with 90M+ are below 60%. 100% of the national under 18 population is maj-min. On current trends the entire US will become maj-min around 2045.

I think Oz still has a way to go.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:04 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_C_Earwicker View Post
This!

I'd also point out that currently six US states with 80M+ are already majority minority, (Non-Hispanic white = < 50.1%). A further 11 states with 90M+ are below 60%. 100% of the national under 18 population is maj-min. On current trends the entire US will become maj-min around 2045.

I think Oz still has a way to go.
What exactly is a Hispanic? Anyone from Sth America or what? We do not use that term.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:40 PM

55 posts, read 35,382 times
Quote:
I'm often amused (as here), when others get themselves wrapped around the axle about some aspect of American culture, such as the hyphenated American, or Americans' alleged obsession with race. Race is a factor in our culture, but we're not obsessed with it. That descriptor is often applied to Americans by people from cultures where race is less of a factor than in the US.

Outsiders should understand that compared to other countries, in the US, almost anything you can think of gets measured, on the theory that if it doesn't get measured, it doesn't get managed, and it doesn't get acted upon. If it doesn't get acted upon, it doesn't get improved..... Accurate data helps ensure correct federal dollars go to the appropriate communities.
All in pursuit of a more perfect union.......

Here's the Census Bureau's explanation for why they ask people about their ancestry and more.

The ancestry question was first asked in the 1980 census.
This is a very astute read of American culture and politics. And probably the reason America has done so well, and is still often criticized from afar.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Sorry mate, the 'Continental European' immigration post WW2 into Australia ran into the millions....so hugely substantial in a continent with a population of only 7.4million in 1945.
How does this conflict with what I said? The US had a more diverse continental European settlement pattern from the very beginning, and it saw its first major immigration wave in the 19th century, when continental European immigration was in the millions.

Quote:
Some 4.2 million immigrants arrived between 1945 and 1985, about 40 percent of whom came from Britain and Ireland.
That would make Australia appreciably less diverse, ethnically, than the US.

Quote:
The first European WW2 refugees to arrive in AU were from the Baltic states as these people looked 'white'.
Yes, but-

Estonian Australians - 8,551 - 0.03%
Latvian Australians - 25,509 - 0.07%
Lithuanian Australians - 16,290 - 0.06%

Estonian Americans - 29,128 - 0.01%
Latvian Americans - 130,003 - 0.03%
Lithuanian Americans - 652,790 - 0.1%

Quote:
By the 1950's there where huge numbers of Italian and Greek immigrants, the cultures of the European migrants helped to fundamentally change the perception of AU being a 'British Colony'.
It wasn't until the 1970's that Australia formally ditched the 'White Australia' immigration policies and allowed immigration based upon all other criterias ie skills, professions, refugee status etc.
And the US had much larger amounts of immigration from Italy, Greece, and the Ottoman Empire from the 19th century...

Quote:
Nearly every single country from around the world was represented in Australia's population in 2020.
But that's true of a number of western countries. Having a population of 586 Cubans, 1,000 Bosnians, etc, doesn't really make you that diverse.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I'm not even Australian... yet which i have explained so i find it crazy that i am getting attacked for being ignorant of cultural diversity when i live in a land that is culturally different to my homeland by a poster who thinks Australia is just a mix of American and British culture lol

To be honest race has to be one of the most superficial measurements for diversity and most nonsensical. What bearing does one's physical features such as skin colour have on their behaviour? If we really go down the route of using skin colour as a measurement for diversity why stop there? What other physical features should we use? Jefferson is using skin colour because he believes it to be relevant to this discussion about diverse cultures and nationalities. It isn't.
I definitely clocked you as Irish, because you're speaking for other countries, pretending Australians don't care about race (because you come from the most ethnically homogeneous island in the world, and Irish people today are a bunch of naive, virtue signaling losers), making self-flattering strawman arguments, insisting that Americans are trying to claim citizenship to countries they aren't from when we were talking about ethnic heritage.

Why do Irish people do that? Is that your way of making yourselves feel more important? Rest assured; Americans do not give a **** about you people. You people are always inventing narratives about how Americans treat ancestry, pretending like Americans are trying to claim Irish citizenship. You heard an American claim they had Irish ancestry once, and you people have been running around shouting "YOUR NOT IRISH" at random Americans around the Internet out of nowhere ever since, lmao. Imagine being that pathetic and insecure about your own nationality.

As Azealia Banks said:

Quote:
"Don't you have a famine to go die in?" "You lot are a bunch of prideful inbred leprechauns who have ZERO global influence and ZERO white privilege. The rest of the world's white folk don't want to associate with you lot at all and it's because you are barbarians." ""I'm happiest knowing the Irish are quarantined on an isle so they can continue to inbreed and keep their defective genes away from humanity." "Aer Lingus flight attendants are still the ugliest most ratchet, rude, racist and drunk hires in the entire Airline industry though,"
And of course, this is when the insecure Irish journalist is all of a sudden okay with "Americans claiming to be Irish", as she immediately tries to claim Americans for Ireland:

Quote:
"Zero global influence... does she realise how many people in her hometown of New York are Irish?"
Y'all always want a piece of America until you don't. Why? It's such insecure behavior. Be proud of your own nationality without having to pull out the anti-American cope-and-seethe.

Trust me, Leprechaun - Americans don't like you. Black Americans, nor white Americans. Stay out.

You want to play your insulting, rude anti-American schtick, we can give it right tf back.

Last edited by Jefferson Airplane; 10-09-2022 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-09-2022, 09:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
I think Aussies & Kiwis should just get on with it and stop relentlessly moaning about how they're still perceived to be tied to their founding country in any way. Lauding their non-UK migration and mocking the bulk of their own heritage. Just get on with it already.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:24 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Airplane View Post
How does this conflict with what I said? The US had a more diverse continental European settlement pattern from the very beginning, and it saw its first major immigration wave in the 19th century, when continental European immigration was in the millions.

That would make Australia appreciably less diverse, ethnically, than the US.

Yes, but-

Estonian Australians - 8,551 - 0.03%
Latvian Australians - 25,509 - 0.07%
Lithuanian Australians - 16,290 - 0.06%

Estonian Americans - 29,128 - 0.01%
Latvian Americans - 130,003 - 0.03%
Lithuanian Americans - 652,790 - 0.1%

And the US had much larger amounts of immigration from Italy, Greece, and the Ottoman Empire from the 19th century...

But that's true of a number of western countries. Having a population of 586 Cubans, 1,000 Bosnians, etc, doesn't really make you that diverse.
Australia still has way more proportional influence from that region, - even has greater numbers in some cases.

Australia

Greek - 424,744 - 1.7%
Macedonian - 111,352 .0.4%
Turkish - 87,157 0.3%

USA

Geek - 1,265,177 - 0.38%
Macedonian - 63,206, Less then .01%
Turkish - 214,468 - 0.067%

For Italian its

Australia 1,108,364 - 4.4%
USA 16,687,024 - 5.1%

For the Islands off the Coast.

Australia

Maltese - 198,999 - 0.8%
Cypriot - 40,103 - 0.2%

USA

Maltese 40,418
Cypriot 8,451

https://profile.id.com.au/australia/ancestry

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...T5Y2019.B04006

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-09-2022 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2022, 10:14 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,887,447 times
Quote:
Outsiders should understand that compared to other countries, in the US, almost anything you can think of gets measured, on the theory that if it doesn't get measured, it doesn't get managed, and it doesn't get acted upon. If it doesn't get acted upon, it doesn't get improved..... Accurate data helps ensure correct federal dollars go to the appropriate communities.
All in pursuit of a more perfect union.......
The fact you think America is an exemplar, or even particularly good, at this sums up the worldview of a substantial portion of Americans.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,887,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post

Australia does not feel more diverse than The States.
Because it isn't. We can pull stats out all day long, but the reality is that Australia has nothing like white/black/hispanic divide that the US has. You could live in Miami and never speak a word of English. Nothing in Australia compares to that or even comes close. So while we may indeed have a lot of different ethnicities in Australia we are also a lot more about assimilation than the US and hence the breadth and depth of day to day cultural diversity in America is far, far greater.

Last edited by BCC_1; 10-09-2022 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand