Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 12:39 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No, I didn't watch a ten minute video by some nobody I've never heard of. I read the quote you provided. Beats me how anyone could interpret that as anything but an argument on why there is a need for a monarch.
This speaks volumes. Presumptiveness is what characterises the opposing views. So you don't take In the argument but do cast opinion over it. And disregard a view just because you've never heard of a person? Interesting. And there is not a Need for a Monarch, it's an argument in favour of retaining a historical institution.

Quote:

Lol. Half the population of the UK is probably as closely related to Alfred the Great as the current members of the royal family. Find the drunk at the local pub; there's your head of state in waiting.
And once again your presumptiveness skews history and you resort to ridicule and exaggeration. KC is Alfred's 33rd Great grandson and there are 10 million people in the UK that have heritage from outside the UK including myself. So the equivalent of nearly half the Australian population. Maybe you got your wires crossed?

I suggest you watch the video with an open mind. Might help you a bit with something called humility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 01:54 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This speaks volumes. Presumptiveness is what characterises the opposing views. So you don't take In the argument but do cast opinion over it. And disregard a view just because you've never heard of a person? Interesting. And there is not a Need for a Monarch, it's an argument in favour of retaining a historical institution.
Good grief. You posted a 10 minute video with a quote that you preceded with "I think Neil Smith says it best." I don't think it's presumptuous to assume that was the thrust of his argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
And once again your presumptiveness skews history and you resort to ridicule and exaggeration. KC is Alfred's 33rd Great grandson and there are 10 million people in the UK that have heritage from outside the UK including myself. So the equivalent of nearly half the Australian population. Maybe you got your wires crossed?
That's not how exponentials work. He hd 5 kids they had 5 kids each and on and on 33 times. (5*5)^33 = a very, very large number in the bajillions. Even if they only had 2 kids each it's a very, very large number – in the trillions. I think to safe to assume almost anyone with British DNA will have Alfred's blood in them.

And yes, half the Australian population is probably related to him as closely as the royal family. Add most of Europe and the Americas to that.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:54 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I did not detect a lack of interest, all things considered. Australia is shedding it's colonial past slowly, but what is very unclear and not a little disturbing is the direction going forward that change will take.

I do not detect any large push to become a Republic.
No there is no large public push to become a Republic.
It died a natural death after the last Referendum, with the victory for the Monarchists.
The current PM supports a Republic , but it won’t be open for debate until his 2nd term.
The recent Coronation of the King most likely enhanced the Monarchy as our head of state.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:59 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It died a natural death after the last Referendum, with the victory for the Monarchists.
The current PM supports a Republic , but it won’t be open for debate until his 2nd term.
The recent Coronation of the King most likely enhanced the Monarchy as our head of state.
The lack of interest says otherwise. As I said you would of gotten more interest from people in the US and Ireland which are republicans than you would from the Australian people with the recent Coronation of a British Monarch. That says alot about how Australians feel. I feel most here now see them as foreign which In reality it is. The distance between these lands and the growing multiculturalism of Australia no doubt fueling this. Australia is no longer some subservient Colony but a nation that stands among the rest in world events

I still would have thought the Sydney Opera house would at least have had it's colours lit up out of respect. Obviously by not doing it then this was an intentional snub to the British Monarch from it's very first Colony. A sign of the times I suppose

Old 05-14-2023, 11:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
The lack of interest says otherwise. As I said you would of gotten more interest from people in the US and Ireland which are republicans than you would from the Australian people with the recent Coronation of a British Monarch. That says alot about how Australians feel. I feel most here now see them as foreign which In reality it is. The distance between these lands and the growing multiculturalism of Australia no doubt fueling this. Australia is no longer some subservient Colony but a nation that stands among the rest in world events

I still would have thought the Sydney Opera house would at least have had it's colours lit up out of respect. Obviously by not doing it then this was an intentional snub to the British Monarch from it's very first Colony. A sign of the times I suppose
But outside of obtaining more money there is little that stirs the interest in Australia . Not exactly non subservient to traditional interests (Britain) but very much so to The US. Ever more so to China. The latter will come at a price.

Multiculturalism is nothing particurly Australian. More something to implement /fill a void when the country is thought of as being a tad boring when Anglo/Celtic working class dominated.
\
Well they have what they wanted. Trust they enjoy the ride. Just as hope we are not going to turn into some naco state where cartels of various influences rule the roost. It doesn't look awfully promising to date.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I do hope so. We are not ready yet to become a republic . Clean the mess up first (if possible) then return at a later date to that topic.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:51 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post

I’m not aware of the TV viewing figures.
I should point out that I am pro-Republic, but any Referendum will need to be well timed and well thought out.
Otherwise it’ll die in the dust for at least another generation, as it has now - 24 years after the last Referendum.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:22 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
It was a couple of million. I'm not sure how strong the correlation between support for the monarchy and the TV ratings though. If there is, then it would certainly suggest the monarchy is in trouble if a once in a generation event, broadcast in prime time, albeit on a Saturday night, can only pull in that sort of crowd. The Queen's funeral, iirc, had ratings around 3.5m. William and Kate's wedding had 6m (2011), Harry and Meghan had 4m (2018). I guess you could infer that the decline in viewership reflects the core market for royal stuff dying off.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
It was a couple of million. I'm not sure how strong the correlation between support for the monarchy and the TV ratings though. If there is, then it would certainly suggest the monarchy is in trouble if a once in a generation event, broadcast in prime time, albeit on a Saturday night, can only pull in that sort of crowd. The Queen's funeral, iirc, had ratings around 3.5m. William and Kate's wedding had 6m (2011), Harry and Meghan had 4m (2018). I guess you could infer that the decline in viewership reflects the core market for royal stuff dying off.
I suspect you are correct. The younger generation have less, if any real interest in the Royal Family. (at least in a growing number) One wonders if Willian can restore interest or the decline will continue? The time he becomes King, he will be well in middle age, and of less interest to those of a younger generation.
Reform and scaling down may well be the way forward to ensure survival, or at the very least interest of coming generations.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:14 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
I should point out that I am pro-Republic, but any Referendum will need to be well timed and well thought out.
Otherwise it’ll die in the dust for at least another generation, as it has now - 24 years after the last Referendum.
I think it's safe to say most people especially young people in Australia don't watch TV anymore. They wouldn't have seen or cared to see it. As for Republicanism needs to be well timed and thought out. I agree but I feel the only reason it would ever be voted down is if most Australian's fail to see it as a Bipartisan effort and instead one to advance the ego of a particular party or leader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand