Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 04:56 PM

3,825 posts, read 3,035,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Back in the pre-internet days of four tv networks and two major newspaper publishing groups, its was pretty easy to hype up events by "self published" advertising. Also, viewers and readers were largely starved of choice, so events like the CG offered a break from the same old, same old content they'd see and read every day.

Today there are so many options to entertainment and keeping up to date, events will only find an audience if there is genuine widespread interest. I guess, today at least, the CG has far too much competition from sports that genuinely do have a following.
Yeah I can remember a ticker tape parade back in 1990 in Sydney, for our Commonwealth Games athlete’s performances in Auckland that year!
It was a big event back then, for most of the reasons you described.
Plus it stirred up a lot of patriotism and national pride.
Big Darryl Eastlake commentating on the weightlifting in Auckland , and yelling at the top of his lungs, one could get very excited about such mundane sports back then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 12:54 AM

4,276 posts, read 4,953,833 times
Quote:

Today there are so many options to entertainment and keeping up to date, events will only find an audience if there is genuine widespread interest. I guess, today at least, the CG has far too much competition from sports that genuinely do have a following.
Exactly. Sport only really became a business in the 1980s and 1990s. So these events were popular because you just didn't see much sport outside of VFL/NSWRL and cricket. There is so much top quality sport these days, where does a Commonwealth Games fit in especially with the budget required to put the whole thing on? I'd argue rugby has a similar issue in that the product just isn't that exciting.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:22 AM

2,961 posts, read 1,365,472 times
Quote:
Back in the pre-internet days of four tv networks and two major newspaper publishing groups, its was pretty easy to hype up events by "self published" advertising. Also, viewers and readers were largely starved of choice, so events like the CG offered a break from the same old, same old content they'd see and read every day.

Yea that makes sense. We are now spoilt for choice when it comes to entertainment and in turn are more picky about what we spend our time on. Sports included

Old 07-21-2023, 07:32 PM

On the OP, there’s a reasonable sample size here now, to suggest that almost 60% of Aussies and Kiwis would vote in favour of a Republic.
It would still have to pass, and in a majority of states on a Referendum day.
Quite possibly the PM Albo could look more closely at this issue again in his next term, if he gets in again.
Right now we’ve got enough to think about, with “the Voice” Referendum coming up.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
On the OP, there’s a reasonable sample size here now, to suggest that almost 60% of Aussies and Kiwis would vote in favour of a Republic.
Quite possibly the PM Albo could look more closely at this issue again in his next term, if he gets in again.
Right now we’ve got enough to think about, with “the Voice” Referendum coming up.
I think given the government is either about to pull the Voice vote or watch it go down, there will be no constitutional amendments put forward without overwhelming bi-partisan support.

Old 07-22-2023, 02:08 AM

1,233 posts, read 750,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
There is no issue re 'Albo' getting up again... there has never been a 'single term' Govt in AU political history; AU voters always give a Govt at least 2 tems of 3 years before turfing them out.
The LNP deffo on the nose electorally... they face a bare minimum 6 years in Opposition, and unless there is a huge shift electorally in AU politics/voters intentions in the fiutue, likely 9 years in Opposition..
Referendums are notoriously hard to get up in AU re changing the Constitution.... don't think the Govt will abandon it, ( The Voice ) but it will be hard to convince the conservative leaning states to vote YES. re 'The Voice".
As an aside, I don't know anyone personally in the NT who intends to vote 'Yes'.
A vote re a Republic has a greater chance of getting over the line nowadays than the vote in 1999 did.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:01 AM

6,845 posts, read 2,972,104 times
Well, by now, of course, we all know the outcome of 'the Voice' referendum. While I personally am glad that 'the Voice' failed to get a majority vote I do fear that this loss for Albanese might make him reluctant to risk another fail in the form of a referendum for a Republic. I would be voting with a resounding "Yes!" in such a referendum. Still, Albanese is rather relentless and cunning. I don't think we've heard the last of 'the Voice' from him, this time in the form of a 'spin-off'. I believe that he's already planning to implement phase two of 'the Voice' just as intended had the referendum been successful ...a treaty. So, be prepared for another few hundred million dollars of taxpayer money to be soon flushed down the toilet, folks.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, by now, of course, we all know the outcome of 'the Voice' referendum. While I personally am glad that 'the Voice' failed to get a majority vote I do fear that this loss for Albanese might make him reluctant to risk another fail in the form of a referendum for a Republic. I would be voting with a resounding "Yes!" in such a referendum. Still, Albanese is rather relentless and cunning. I don't think we've heard the last of 'the Voice' from him, this time in the form of a 'spin-off'. I believe that he's already planning to implement phase two of 'the Voice' just as intended had the referendum been successful ...a treaty. So, be prepared for another few hundred million dollars of taxpayer money to be soon flushed down the toilet, folks.
Wrong thread. Can you contain your ranting about the voice to the dedicated thread on the voice that you started.

On the topic of the republic, there will be no more referendums where the government of the day cannot get bi-partisan support. And a clown like Dutton will never support a republic.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Wrong thread. Can you contain your ranting about the voice to the dedicated thread on the voice that you started.

On the topic of the republic, there will be no more referendums where the government of the day cannot get bi-partisan support. And a clown like Dutton will never support a republic.
I think the quoted poster is saying Albo would probably be a bit gun-shy now in calling another Referendum, though I’m not going to get into any of the Voice rhetoric here either.
There are some ex-Libs who are Republicans, but you’re right I’d doubt the party would support it as a group.
I think the issue has just been put back another decade now anyway.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:48 PM

6,845 posts, read 2,972,104 times
Quote:
Since I knew you were around on this thread I couldn't resist toying with you, BCC.

Quote:
I don't know Dutton's views on the topic of the republic, but I do agree with you that he's unlikely to support it. I would be curious, however, to know the views of the average person on the street as to how they feel about a republic. The aging monarchists are naturally fading, and the younger generation are taking their place. Their fondness of and their loyalty toward the monarchy is, I'm thinking, pretty much non-existent. Whenever, if ever, another referendum for a republic is held with bi-partisan support I do believe that it would succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand