Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 05:57 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
“But we are not like them, we are better. Because we are Queenslanders!”
Well they beat us nearly every year at the State of Origin lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 06:05 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
With Victoria pulling out of the Commonwealth games and no other state wanting to step in it is clear Australia really doesn't have the heart for the Commonwealth anymore. While the significantly higher costs are largely to blame the fact that no other states view the Commonwealth games as worth it speaks volumes. They don't respect it as an event worth investing. They would rather host other international competitions.

First with the country ignoring the recent Coronation of their new head of state and now the snubbing of the Commonwealth I feel it's clear that Australia really is making it's views quite clear as to where it's headed.
The Commonwealth Games lost a lot of its popularity and following years ago.
I can recall back to the Brisbane games in 1982, when they were still a big deal.
Still, it’s a big shame that Melbourne have dropped this like a hot potato.
I’m no expert on Victoria or it’s politics and economy, but I honestly thought it could at least break even, and maybe encourage more tourism down the track.
We’re going down to Victoria in November, first time in many years, so am interested to see how it’s travelling.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:14 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I can recall back to the Brisbane games in 1982, when they were still a big deal.
I’m no expert on Victoria or it’s politics and economy, but I honestly thought it could at least break even, and maybe encourage more tourism down the track.
We’re going down to Victoria in November, first time in many years, so am interested to see how it’s travelling.
I'm not big events accountant, but it seems really hard to make a buck on the Comm Games when they cost a couple of billion to host. Compare them to the women's world cup which seems to have a real buzz, a legitimate global audience in north America, Europe and Asia, and is costing $300m or so.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:39 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I'm not big events accountant, but it seems really hard to make a buck on the Comm Games when they cost a couple of billion to host. Compare them to the women's world cup which seems to have a real buzz, a legitimate global audience in north America, Europe and Asia, and is costing $300m or so.
I don't think the are building any new stadiums or public transport infrastructure for the women's world cup however, which is by far the biggest costs incurred in hosing such events to my knowledge?

No sure about the buzz thing, the only reason I even know it is about to start is because my niece will be one of the Kids leading the England team onto the field when the play Haiti on Friday.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-19-2023 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yes mate, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. But I would suggest that Brisbane got it because John Coates (who if you have ever had anything to do with is an absolute low life) let the IOC know the Queensland government were cashed up yokels with an inferiority complex. We can all watch and marvel at how the bill will escalate from here. The final cost will be something around the $15b mark. Which is absurd for a city of 2.5m people. When Melbourne hosted the Olympics it was a completely different event run on a shoestring. The largesse – and brown paper bags – didn't really start until the 1970s.

The CG's actually have a very high cost considering their status in the sporting world and with the public at large. That's why they struggle to find any city willing to host. I think you're reading way too much into things trying to draw a conclusion about the republic movement based on this. The Labor Party in Victoria is republic through and through, if they thought hosting the CG's represented a nod to the monarchy they wouldn't have signed up for it in the first place.
Its was actually a South East Queensland bid, obviously Brisbane will be the front and center, but the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast will be both be holding multiple events and house athletes villages, roughly 66% of the athletics and support staff etc will be in stationed in Brisbane, 25% will be on the Gold Coast, and the rest on the Sunshine Coast. Even Toowoomba will be holding some of the football matches, as such the current population base for the bid is pretty much exactly the same now as what Sydney had when it hosted.

I agree about the costs, budling virtually anything these days leads to costs blowouts these days, as an accountant its something you see all the time, regardless of the size of the project.

Obviously you will be far more in the know if its money well spent or not.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-19-2023 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-19-2023, 10:26 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I don't think the are building any new stadiums or public transport infrastructure for the women's world cup however, which is by far the biggest costs incurred in hosing such events to my knowledge?

No sure about the buzz thing, the only reason I even know it is about to start is because my niece will be one of the Kids leading the England team onto the field when the play Haiti on Friday.
Yeah, you're absolutely right on the new stadiums, but another big cost is housing all these athletes and officials. The GC had to house 5,000 athletes. Then add the coaches, medical people, admin, support staff and then the officials etc. It's a lot of construction for a couple of weeks. While you can build a "village" that can be turned into housing afterward it's not as simple as changing the paint scheme. It's hard to justify building anything for the CGs given the economic and social benefits are pretty much non-existent.

On the women's world cup, they've pre-sold 1.5m tickets which is apparently a record. It's not going to feel like the Olympics or the men's world cup, but it seems people are a lot more engaged with it than they are with CGs and the cost to deliver it is way less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Obviously you will be far more in the know if its money well spent or not.
I doubt that! I'm just some boob on the internet.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're absolutely right on the new stadiums, but another big cost is housing all these athletes and officials. The GC had to house 5,000 athletes. Then add the coaches, medical people, admin, support staff and then the officials etc. It's a lot of construction for a couple of weeks. While you can build a "village" that can be turned into housing afterward it's not as simple as changing the paint scheme. It's hard to justify building anything for the CGs given the economic and social benefits are pretty much non-existent.

On the women's world cup, they've pre-sold 1.5m tickets which is apparently a record. It's not going to feel like the Olympics or the men's world cup, but it seems people are a lot more engaged with it than they are with CGs and the cost to deliver it is way less.

I doubt that! I'm just some boob on the internet.
Ha Ha, Me too

Old 07-20-2023, 04:12 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times
Quote:
Yes mate, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. But I would suggest that Brisbane got it because John Coates (who if you have ever had anything to do with is an absolute low life) let the IOC know the Queensland government were cashed up yokels with an inferiority complex. We can all watch and marvel at how the bill will escalate from here. The final cost will be something around the $15b mark. Which is absurd for a city of 2.5m people. When Melbourne hosted the Olympics it was a completely different event run on a shoestring. The largesse – and brown paper bags – didn't really start until the 1970s.

The CG's actually have a very high cost considering their status in the sporting world and with the public at large. That's why they struggle to find any city willing to host. I think you're reading way too much into things trying to draw a conclusion about the republic movement based on this. The Labor Party in Victoria is republic through and through, if they thought hosting the CG's represented a nod to the monarchy they wouldn't have signed up for it in the first place.
Fair enough lol

I've read it will be cost $8 billion in which several Billilon provided by the government however I agree this is no doubt still a substantial bill for the Olympic Games however it usually pays off by slingshotting a City's status in the world which Brisbane is hoping to achieve. It is a long term investment. I do wonder how it will affect the next elections in Queensland if the state goes deeper into financial hardship

As for the Commonwealth games being canceled doesn't have anything to do with Republican and Monarchy politics. I agree to an extent. As I said I don't think Victoria cancelling this has anything to do with pushing toward a Republic but simply financial however it's the sheer lack of interest from the rest of Australia which interests me. They recognise the irrelevance of the Commonwealth games and have no interest in it at all really while they focus on other sporting events. It's just a very different Australia that was obvious to me while growing up. This mixed in with the compete lack of interest of the recent Coronation of the UK Monarch from the Australian public and politicians at large just shows Australia is outgrowing it's former colony.

In the past it always felt like New Zealand and Australia still had some sense of loyalty and admiration of the old world and was striving to keep a connection to it. This was made evident when these two nations were among the loudest when it came to being all too happy hosting the aristocratic elite and cultural events such as the CG. Now it appears they are completely indifferent towards it. Obviously this is largely down to the likes of the UK losing it's superpower status over half a century ago and bit by bit losing it's Global influence which has forced this part of the world to not view it as the all powerful motherland it once was and just another nation in which they now all enjoy equal status with each other.

Last edited by Paddy234; 07-20-2023 at 04:21 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 04:19 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Why was the Commonwealth games ever big in the first place? With the Olympics being the true multi sport competition for the world I never seen the Point of the Commonwealth games.

As for Victoria canceling it. I have to say I am suspicious. The Victorian government was very Gung ho with this decision not allowing the Commonwealth committee to respond and the figures they gave as to why it was canceled were wildly over exaggerated

Old 07-20-2023, 04:23 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Why was the Commonwealth games ever big in the first place? With the Olympics being the true multi sport competition for the world I never seen the Point of the Commonwealth games.

As for Victoria canceling it. I have to say I am suspicious. The Victorian government was very Gung ho with this decision not allowing the Commonwealth committee to respond and the figures they gave as to why it was canceled were wildly over exaggerated
Back in the pre-internet days of four tv networks and two major newspaper publishing groups, its was pretty easy to hype up events by "self published" advertising. Also, viewers and readers were largely starved of choice, so events like the CG offered a break from the same old, same old content they'd see and read every day.

Today there are so many options to entertainment and keeping up to date, events will only find an audience if there is genuine widespread interest. I guess, today at least, the CG has far too much competition from sports that genuinely do have a following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand