Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 02:46 AM

1,223 posts, read 721,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I think that was much the idea but what people could accept was the proposed model of how the President would be chosen. What was put forward was that the President would be chosen by Parliament, with a two-thirds majority required. I think a lot of republican supporters wanted a direct election of a President but again the issue is how the candidates would be chosen.

As it is, the state Governors and the Governor-General are appointed by the governments (I think) and most of us would have a hard to even remembering the names of our current state Governor and the G-G
Yep, I can't forsee a popular vote for a 'President' .... almost certainly an appointee voted in from both Houses of Parliament...two thirds perhaps or perhaps not methinks.....more likely a majority by a joint sitting of both Houses. Be nice to think all members of both Houses had a 'conscience vote' rather than follow a party line, although that premise is probably 'A Bridge Too Far'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 08:59 PM

28 posts, read 13,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
So no, raw figures that you insist on using are meaningless, percentages are valid in this instance methinks.
No, they are just as valid, and using % of foreign born to gauge how diverse a country is is moronic. Scale matters in discussions like this.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:19 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,886,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llunge View Post
No, they are just as valid, and using % of foreign born to gauge how diverse a country is is moronic. Scale matters in discussions like this.
Lol. The banshee is back! What will you squeal about in long form prose this time?

Old 10-19-2022, 03:28 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,309,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think Australia should have another referendum on the subject now that Charles is king. With every passing year, Australia distances itself more and more from the UK. I think eventually it will become a republic in a similar way Barbados did last year. I think this will be a positive step for the country.
Australia is as distant as it can be politically from the UK. This is why as someone who lived in on that side of the world most of my life I find it strange why they haven't officially recognized this by creating their own system. If this next referendum fails I reckon Charles should just say to New Zealand and Australia, Listen I'm flattered but your on your own lol

Old 10-19-2022, 03:06 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Australia is as distant as it can be politically from the UK. This is why as someone who lived in on that side of the world most of my life I find it strange why they haven't officially recognized this by creating their own system. If this next referendum fails I reckon Charles should just say to New Zealand and Australia, Listen I'm flattered but your on your own lol
Hmmm . . .I can almost picture a scenario similar to that of a weeping child's first day in school where he/she can't be separated from his/her parent. Let's face it, Australia and NZ need their English mama, or in this case, their English papa.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
How are we so distant? We follow the same political system hence more alike than most.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:03 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Hmmm . . .I can almost picture a scenario similar to that of a weeping child's first day in school where he/she can't be separated from his/her parent. Let's face it, Australia and NZ need their English mama, or in this case, their English papa.
Not forgetting their Chinese landlord.......

Old 10-20-2022, 04:10 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,309,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
How are we so distant? We follow the same political system hence more alike than most.
Australia doesn't completely resemble the British political system. It is quite different in regards to having states where like the US it is a federation where each state is given it's own duties and responsibilities written in the constitution. Australia has it's own system

Old 10-20-2022, 03:09 PM

1,223 posts, read 721,404 times

Old 10-20-2022, 05:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,886,460 times
Quote:
Australia doesn't completely resemble the British political system. It is quite different in regards to having states where like the US it is a federation where each state is given it's own duties and responsibilities written in the constitution. Australia has it's own system
The senate is the big takeaway from the US system. It's a proportionally elected, powerful upper house. Completely different to the UK HoL. FWIW, the constitution does the opposite of what you wrote; it enumerates the legislative power of the federal government. Anything not granted under s51 remains a state power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand