Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 11:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,590,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yes, the challenging part would be to sell it to the public. Out of curiosity, what has made you disillusioned with the monarchy lately?
The people in it for the most part. Over the years as the " scandals " unfolded, I just couldn't see how some of these people deserved the privilege they were given. In the back of my mind, I knew that after the Queen died, that I would be less upset if we moved away from monarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 04:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,326,470 times
[QUOTE=Joe90;66172964]I don't think is true - people in the street aren't looking for constitutional change that reflects national identity... they aren't even thinking about it.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask "what's it mean to be a Kiwi?", except for tv/radio/print - it's only really an issue in the minds of academics, journalists, etc.[/quote]

In regards to New Zealand where sentiment on this is a little different that Australia as I said it's only a matter of time. A New Zealand with 10, 20 million is going to look alot different than today. New Zealand like every other country in history will go through changes over the decades and centuries that will define it. Most European nations only have flags and governmental institutions that are merely centuries old. Nations change. Australia and New Zealand will experience this.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:32 PM

6,048 posts, read 5,976,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
[QUOTE=Joe90;66172964]I don't think is true - people in the street aren't looking for constitutional change that reflects national identity... they aren't even thinking about it.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask "what's it mean to be a Kiwi?", except for tv/radio/print - it's only really an issue in the minds of academics, journalists, etc.
In regards to New Zealand where sentiment on this is a little different that Australia as I said it's only a matter of time. A New Zealand with 10, 20 million is going to look alot different than today. New Zealand like every other country in history will go through changes over the decades and centuries that will define it. Most European nations only have flags and governmental institutions that are merely centuries old. Nations change. Australia and New Zealand will experience this.[/quote]

The growing changing make up of this country, will of course change sentiment as it gains confidence and influence. It does not mean any change will be better though. We need to act with caution already to our changing institutions and behind the scene influence.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
In regards to New Zealand where sentiment on this is a little different that Australia as I said it's only a matter of time. A New Zealand with 10, 20 million is going to look alot different than today. New Zealand like every other country in history will go through changes over the decades and centuries that will define it. Most European nations only have flags and governmental institutions that are merely centuries old. Nations change. Australia and New Zealand will experience this.
The growing changing make up of this country, will of course change sentiment as it gains confidence and influence. It does not mean any change will be better though. We need to act with caution already to our changing institutions and behind the scene influence.[/quote]

I agree however I'm also optimistic for the future aswell. There is always light at the end of the tunnel

Old 12-12-2023, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
And nothing will really change - the person in the street still won't be asking themselves what it means to be a Kiwi, and constitutional change still won't be the hot topic at smoko.
The entire national identity will change. That is my point. The institutions and future symbolism such as flags are merely a reflection of the national identity of a people which changes over time

Old 12-12-2023, 03:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 5,976,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
The growing changing make up of this country, will of course change sentiment as it gains confidence and influence. It does not mean any change will be better though. We need to act with caution already to our changing institutions and behind the scene influence.
I agree however I'm also optimistic for the future aswell. There is always light at the end of the tunnel[/quote]

I see very little to be optimistic about. From someone who at one time cheered on the multi cultural identity over hauling this nation. I witness the results on a daily basis . We become ever more a nation whose philosophy is greed. No point going into a rant. But I fear for the country of my birth very much.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:36 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,007,847 times
Not unexpected news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67916228.amp

Any thoughts or ambitions of a republican debate or referendum by the PM, have been put on ice for the time being.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,350,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Not unexpected news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67916228.amp

Any thoughts or ambitions of a republican debate or referendum by the PM, have been put on ice for the time being.
I'm not reading too much into that story, though. Seems more like an effort to control the media narrative in the context of a visit by Charles and Camilla.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:15 AM

6,803 posts, read 2,925,824 times
What does a visit by Charles and Camilla even mean to present-day Australians? Do they wave to us and we all wave back like fawning plebs? I just don't get it.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:09 AM

1,229 posts, read 730,530 times
General AU population aged less than 'Boomers' couldn't care less.... and a large percentage of Boomers couldn't care less either.... no longer an issue the Royal Family in Australia....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand