Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 12:36 AM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Airplane View Post
Because someone made a statement about the US, and it was wrong.
So what? Is your life so boring that you have to write 1,000 word nonsensical essays every time someone says something about the US on the internet that you think is wrong?

If you want to howl into the wind like a deranged banshee do it somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 12:51 AM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
The point made was that 30% of people who live in Australia were born overseas and come from distinct cultures compared to just 15% in the US therefore Australia is clearly more diverse in that it encompasses a large number of people who come from different cultures and not just those with a heritage of a different culture from some 200 years ago like many in the US like to use. There are no African Americans, Latino Americans, White Americans, Brown haired Americans, whatever number of subgroup's you want to use. There are ONLY Americans and the sooner some people in the US recognised that the sooner they can put to bed the nonsense of Identity politics which divides them.

Australians don't do this, there are no British or Irish or Indian Australians. There are only Australians no matter what heritage you come from. 30% of people living in Australia come from different lands. Most of those lands they come from are in Asia and India.
Born overseas stats are not the entire story though when it comes to diversity measurement, is it?

Identity politics do exist in Australia, as in The States, just not as in your face. Then Australia does not have the diversity of The States. Nevertheless, Italians, born here, term themselves Italians when the term suits or mood takes. Most of those lands are not Asian as you claim, but they are an ever increasing percent and will in time be the majority in ethnic make up most likely.
I have heard Chinese refer to themselves as Chinese/Australians (AC's) and even African Australians.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:30 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
I look at it this way....my kids primary school in suburban Darwin ( a very diverse small City ) with a class size of about 35-40, would have had kids from 15-20 or more different ethnic backgrounds, including South East Asian, Middle Eastern, European, African, Polynesian, Indian Subcontinent, and even South American !
Here's the thing....while these kids parents might or might not have an accent re the English language, indeed might not even be fluent in English, all these kids grow up and become fair dinkum Aussies, kicking a footy in the playground, mucking around with a cricket bat, and developing an NT version of an Aussie accent ( one that in Darwin at least has some Indigenous inflections and words not found elsewhere 'down south'.), getting into the outdoorsy Top End lifestyle...
I welcome everyone of 'em as newly minted Aussies.
PS/- my kids cricket team photos from school...Asian faces ( a very good player of Philipino background ), Indian sub continent ( as you would expect , so Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Paki and Indian), a Coloured kid from South Africa, and a couple of Maori looking dudes obviously parents from NZ and some Aussie ( ie British ancestory ) kids.
And eveyone of 'em with a Territory accent.
fair Dinkum Aussie kids !

Old 10-08-2022, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
I look at it this way....my kids primary school in suburban Darwin ( a very diverse small City ) with a class size of about 35-40, would have had kids from 15-20 or more different ethnic backgrounds, including South East Asian, Middle Eastern, European, African, Polynesian, Indian Subcontinent, and even South American !
Here's the thing....while these kids parents might or might not have an accent re the English language, indeed might not even be fluent in English, all these kids grow up and become fair dinkum Aussies, kicking a footy in the playground, mucking around with a cricket bat, and developing an NT version of an Aussie accent ( one that in Darwin at least has some Indigenous inflections and words not found elsewhere 'down south'.), getting into the outdoorsy Top End lifestyle...
PS/- my kids cricket team photos from school...Asian faces ( a very good player of Philipino background ), Indian sub continent ( as you would expect , so Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Paki and Indian), a Coloured kid from South Africa, and a couple of Maori looking dudes obviously parents from NZ and some Aussie ( ie British ancestory ) kids.
Nice!

Old 10-08-2022, 02:32 AM

55 posts, read 35,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
So what? Is your life so boring that you have to write 1,000 word nonsensical essays every time someone says something about the US on the internet that you think is wrong?

If you want to howl into the wind like a deranged banshee do it somewhere else.
This kind of person attack is more ridiculous than anything I said.

I was on City-Data once in, like, 2 days. I had participated in this thread earlier. Get tf over yourself. Plenty of time to respond to posts on an internet forum once in a day and do other things.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
No one said there was no diversity to be found in Australia - it's found in most western countries these days.

But significant and diverse immigration has been happening for far longer in the US - that imbues a society with its own distinct characteristics - and that's still continuing to this day with new groups.

Australia's continental European, African, and especially it's Latin American populations, are practically non-existent, they're so small. Whereas the US has significant immigration from all of those regions named.

And is there a recognized "NT Aussie accent"? It seems to small and historically sparse a population to develop separately. Could you give me literature on that?

Old 10-08-2022, 02:50 AM

Quote:
The point made was that 30% of people who live in Australia were born overseas and come from distinct cultures compared to just 15% in the US therefore Australia is clearly more diverse in that it encompasses a large number of people who come from different cultures and not just those with a heritage of a different culture from some 200 years ago like many in the US like to use.
I named a clearly diverse array and mix of ethnic, racial, and religious groups in the US, and you're still trying to claim that Australia is "more diverse than the US" based off a stupid proportion of foreign born? That. is. dumb. It doesn't make sense to claim a country is "more diverse" than a country like the US because you get a lot of British and Chinese immigrants. And their proportion makes more of a dent on your much smaller population - the US would essentially have to take in more immigrants than were migrating, globally, to have a percentage anywhere near 30%, because of it's population size - it would have to take in 100 million immigrants at a given time to have it's foreign born population be 30% - so no, your point is dumb. You evidently don't understand the uses of absolute and proportionate data when parsing the diversity of countries that are radically different in scale.

Also, the US is made up of populations that came at various points throughout American history - that's a stupid point. Elementary history - the US had waves of immigration in the 18th century, the early 19th, the late 19th, the early 20th, after WWII, the late 20th century, and the early 21st. It's had significant domestic intermixing.

Quote:
There are no African Americans, Latino Americans, White Americans, Brown haired Americans, whatever number of subgroup's you want to use. There are ONLY Americans and the sooner some people in the US recognised that the sooner they can put to bed the nonsense of Identity politics which divides them.
Oh shut the **** up, you virtue signaling loser, slandering the US with this anti-American racial nonsense, trying to make yourself seem so virtuous by pretending racial and ethnic groups are an American invention - racial census data is taken in racially diverse places, like the US, like Brazil, like Cuba, and now the UK - no one's talking about "Brown haired people", you moron, we're talking about ethnic groups, racial groups - you can't say a country isn't diverse by dismissing that which makes it diverse - ethnic, racial, and religious groups - "American" isn't an ethnicity - it's a nationality. "Australian" isn't an ethnicity - it's a nationality.

This comment of yours could only be made by someone from a predominantly white and ethnically homogeneous society.

Quote:
Australians don't do this, there are no British or Irish or Indian Australians. There are only Australians no matter what heritage you come from. 30% of people living in Australia come from different lands. Most of those lands they come from are in Asia and India.
Yes the **** they DO do that. Of COURSE Australians identify with their ethnic backgrounds. You might not, but genealogy is recognized and popular in Australia as anywhere. Australian's regularly identify with Indigenous Australian, Italian Australian, British/Irish Australian communities.

30% of people in Australia who are foreign born were predominantly British every year until 2020, when overall immigration sharply reduced - and still the UK was the third most significant contributor of immigrants to Australia. That's on top of your monocultural white block, which is significantly British, and even more significantly British and Irish. Sorry, you're not as diverse as the US.

Stop it with the lefty virtue signaling anti-American schtick on race and ethnicity. It makes you look like an ignorant piece of ****.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:53 AM

Says this...

Quote:
This kind of person attack is more ridiculous than anything I said.
Then 20 minutes later says this...

Quote:

Oh shut the **** up, you Australian loser,
Where's the clown emoj?

Old 10-08-2022, 05:08 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
I named a clearly diverse array and mix of ethnic, racial, and religious groups in the US, and you're still trying to claim that Australia is "more diverse than the US" based off a stupid proportion of foreign born? That. is. dumb. It doesn't make sense to claim a country is "more diverse" than a country like the US because you get a lot of British and Chinese immigrants. And their proportion makes more of a dent on your much smaller population - the US would essentially have to take in more immigrants than were migrating, globally, to have a percentage anywhere near 30%, because of it's population size - it would have to take in 100 million immigrants at a given time to have it's foreign born population be 30% - so no, your point is dumb. You evidently don't understand the uses of absolute and proportionate data when parsing the diversity of countries that are radically different in scale.

Also, the US is made up of populations that came at various points throughout American history - that's a stupid point. Elementary history - the US had waves of immigration in the 18th century, the early 19th, the late 19th, the early 20th, after WWII, the late 20th century, and the early 21st. It's had significant domestic intermixing.

Oh shut the **** up, you virtue signaling loser, slandering the US with this anti-American racial nonsense, trying to make yourself seem so virtuous by pretending racial and ethnic groups are an American invention - racial census data is taken in racially diverse places, like the US, like Brazil, like Cuba, and now the UK - no one's talking about "Brown haired people", you moron, we're talking about ethnic groups, racial groups - you can't say a country isn't diverse by dismissing that which makes it diverse - ethnic, racial, and religious groups - "American" isn't an ethnicity - it's a nationality. "Australian" isn't an ethnicity - it's a nationality.

This comment of yours could only be made by someone from a predominantly white and ethnically homogeneous society.

Yes the **** they DO do that. Of COURSE Australians identify with their ethnic backgrounds. You might not, but genealogy is recognized and popular in Australia as anywhere. Australian's regularly identify with Indigenous Australian, Italian Australian, British/Irish Australian communities.

30% of people in Australia who are foreign born were predominantly British every year until 2020, when overall immigration sharply reduced - and still the UK was the third most significant contributor of immigrants to Australia. That's on top of your monocultural white block, which is significantly British, and even more significantly British and Irish. Sorry, you're not as diverse as the US.

Stop it with the lefty virtue signaling anti-American schtick on race and ethnicity. It makes you look like an ignorant piece of ****.
Read my post again before you rant off about racial diversity nonsense. NO-ONE cares about racial diversity, it holds no merit here. National diversity holds far more weight because..... well it's obvious, people of different Nationalities come from different cultures. A white and black American are the same culturally. They will go the same schools, listen to same music, follow the same sports teams, speak the same language etc. Racial differences hold no merit here.

As for me virtue signaling lol. Your the one who believes that skin colour equals diversity lol. Why not also hair colour, eye colour, body size? It's just sounds so ridiculous to hear Americans refer to their fellow citizens with the word black or white, Latino, Asian etc as if this equals diversity. People in the UK will never refer to themselves as Black English or white in terms of identity because racial diversity holds no weight compared to ethnicity. No-one cares where your ancestors came from. Your all Americans today, be proud of that and stop with this regressive nonsense of splitting people into subgroups based on superficial (racial) differences. Let me explain to you once more No-one is talking about racial diversity of black and white, I'm talking about national diversity. My claim was based in the number of people living in Australia who come from foreign lands and cultures. I'm not at all going into racial diversity or heritage because quite frankly I don't care

Also Australians do not refer to themselves as Irish/British Australian, Italian Australian etc. That is simply nonsense. People will have knowledge of their ancestry and be proud of it but they wouldn't identify under it Like Americans do with a heritage that is sometimes centuries old. When talking to Australians I'll often get into conversation with their ancestry only if they are Irish given that I am Irish and so they will like to talk about their family history. They will simply talk about their family but in no way will they claim to be of such nationality as if they hold citizenship, instead they know it is in their blood. The only people who could regard themselves as British or Italian Australian are those who hold citizenship from both countries.

Stop implying British and Australian is the same. They are different cultures, ruling diversity out because a large number of migrants come from Britain is ridiculous. Regardless, a very large number of those migrants come from India, China, South Africa, Italy, Philippines, Sri Lanka etc while in the US 25% of it's migrants all come from Mexico. A greater percentage than any one nation has in Australia today.

Also for the last time NO-ONE is talking about heritage, I don't care what the immigration numbers of the US was 100 years ago. I'm talking about today. Only 15% of people born In the US come from different lands and 25% of that 15% is from Mexico anyway. The US has a very hard border compared to the likes of Australia where migration is easier so this is no surprise. Australia is culturally more diverse than the US

https://theconversation.com/census-d...sh%20at%20home.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...R3uuIUZSHkzSu1

Also when you finally do make your way out to Australia and realize how awesome it is that you want to stay and make it your home, Vote for a Republic

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-08-2022 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Read my post again before you rant off about racial diversity nonsense. NO-ONE cares about racial diversity, it holds no merit here.
You can repeat this as many times as you want, it doesn't make it true. It's ludicrous to think that Australians don't care about race - and it's a widely held opinion among Black Americans that Australians are super racist.

You're from a white, homogeneous country. You speak like you're ignorant.

Quote:
National diversity holds far more weight because..... well it's obvious, people of different Nationalities come from different cultures. A white and black American are the same culturally. They will go the same schools, listen to same music, follow the same sports teams, speak the same language etc. Racial differences hold no merit here.
That's a whole absurd list of assumptions. All of this stuff is informed by intergenerational ethnic diversity, which you need to acknowledge to understand cultures and what comprises them.

Quote:
As for me virtue signaling lol. Your the one who believes that skin colour equals diversity lol. Why not also hair colour, eye colour, body size? It's just sounds so ridiculous to hear Americans refer to their fellow citizens with the word black or white, Latino, Asian etc as if this equals diversity. No-one cares where your ancestors came from. Your all Americans today, be proud of that and stop with this regressive nonsense of splitting people into subgroups based on superficial (racial) differences. Let me explain to you once more No-one is talking about racial diversity of black and white, I'm talking about national diversity. My claim was based in the number of people living in Australia who come from foreign lands and cultures. I'm not at all going into racial diversity or heritage because quite frankly I don't care
This is a completely dumb and rudimentary way of splitting diversity.

Also, if this is your particular definition of diversity - then you can't be so hostile to other common sense definitions of diversity.

Race, ethnicity, etc, are not concepts that Americans invented, you ****ing retard. You keep talking about eye color and hair color, all of which are coextensive with concepts of race and ethnicity. You're such a ****ing idiot - you're lashing out at concepts of race and ethnicity because you can't accept that you're a much more homogeneous country than America.

Quote:
People in the UK will never refer to themselves as Black English or white in terms of identity because racial diversity holds no weight compared to ethnicity.
...yes tf they do.

Quote:
Also Australians do not refer to themselves as Irish/British Australian, Italian Australian etc. That is simply nonsense. People will have knowledge of their ancestry and be proud of it but they wouldn't identify under it Like Americans do with a heritage that is sometimes centuries old. When talking to Australians I'll often get into conversation with their ancestry only if they are Irish given that I am Irish and so they will like to talk about their family history. They will simply talk about their family but in no way will they claim to be of such nationality as if they hold citizenship, instead they know it is in their blood. The only people who could regard themselves as British or Italian Australian are those who hold citizenship from both countries
1) Yes, there are literally entire Instagram meme accounts devoted to "ethnic Australians". "When you have an ethnic mum" etc, it's incredibly common for Australians to discuss genealogy. It's so bizarre when you people blindly try to insist they don't.

2) Then you get into this weird straw man where you're trying to claim Americans are treating ethnicity like nationality - no, we're treating ethnicity like ethnicity. Not like we hold citizenship.

See, I'm sure you wouldn't understand this, coming from such an overwhelmingly homogeneous, inbred, racially and ethnically boring British outpost, but Americans are a heritage of a mixture of different ethnicites, races, religions, and more, which often mixed and coalesced into their own unique local cultures like Louisiana Creole, Gullah-Geechee, Findians, Punjabi Mexicans, Redbones, Yellowbones, Melungeons, and more...Australia doesn't have **** like this. You're a homogeneous country.

Quote:
Stop implying British and Australian is the same. They are different cultures, ruling diversity out because a large number of migrants come from Britain is ridiculous. Regardless, a very large number of those migrants come from India, China, South Africa, Italy, Philippines, Sri Lanka etc while in the US 25% of it's migrants all come from Mexico. A greater percentage than any one nation has in Australia today.
Up until 2021, the vast majority of immigrants to Australia were British - 900,000+ of them, to be exact. You're already an 80% white and 50%+ white Anglo-Celtic society. You're just not diverse.

Quote:
Also for the last time NO-ONE is talking about heritage, I don't care what the immigration numbers of the US was 100 years ago. I'm talking about today. Only 15% of people born In the US come from different lands and 25% of that 15% is from Mexico anyway. The US has a very hard border compared to the likes of Australia where migration is easier so this is no surprise. Australia is culturally more diverse than the US
Nothing in this paragraph is remotely true . Do I need to lay out the facts and common sense again?

- Heritage doesn't disappear just because someone was born here - so this is an incredibly rudimentary way to gauge societal diversity. No one is saying they aren't American.

- The US has always received way more immigration than Australia, and has always received a much more diverse source of immigrants than Australia. You're trying to dismiss history that informs diversity because you're butthurt that Australia doesn't really have a long history of diverse immigration like the US does.

- As I said above, you're comparing two different countries of radically different scale with radically different levels of historical development. The US has 50 MILLION IMMIGRANTS IN A GIVEN YEAR. Your stupid proportion of your Texas-sized country really doesn't mean ****. Especially because the sources of immigration to Australia looked like this in 2020:

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/pe...latest-release

13% of your population were British immigrants! They topped the list!

- The US has a wide open border and extraordinarily lax immigration laws compared to Australia - what an absolute joke that you'd even try to claim that.

Allow me to post the figures again:

These were the sources of immigrants to Australia in 2013:

These were the sources of immigrants to America in the 2010s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr..._States#Origin

Lets get over ourselves, Paddy, your country is nowhere near as diverse as the US - as I explained:

Quote:
The US has more immigrants in total, in a given year, than Australia has people. The US has more Black Americans than Australia has people. The US has more Latino Americans than Australia has people. The US has almost as many Asian Americans as Australia has people. It has a ton more Native tribes and languages and ethnic groups. The US has various ethno-racial mixes, triracial isolates, etc...It takes in more refugees than any country. That's not getting to the white American population, which is predominantly German, and has varying mixes of Hispanic, British and Irish, Italian, Dutch, French, Central European, Polish and other Slavic, Scandinavian, Greek, Arab, Portuguese, Armenian, Iranian, Jewish, Assyrian/Chaldean and more comprising it, not to mention groups like Findians and Black Seminoles and Chinese Mexican Americans and Punjabi Mexican Americans. The US has entirely Muslim city councils, entire towns of predominantly ultra-orthodox Jews, Cities that are 80% Black, the largest diasporas of Marshallese and Palauans in places like Benton county, Arkansas, and Corsicana, Texas, Tajik Americans in Nebraska, the greatest number of Rusyns outside of the Slavic region, Mixtecan and Aztecan and Mayan descendants, populations of Puerto Rican and French Canadian Americans of their own complex mix of races and ethnicities, Amerasians born to typically white or black American servicemen, it has Greenlandic and Sami and Hapa and Faroese Americans, large populations of Amish and Mennonites and Zoroastrians and Sikhs and Mormons and Voodoo and Hoodoo practitioners...
Australia doesn't have this. You have an utterly bland, homogeneous culture from top to bottom - 95% of it is directly transplanted American or British cultural elements. There's hardly any regional differences. You're trying to say race, ethnicity, religion, etc, don't matter because your country just isn't diverse by all of these normal standards.

Last edited by Jefferson Airplane; 10-08-2022 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand