Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 03:07 AM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Airplane View Post
No one said there was no diversity to be found in Australia - it's found in most western countries these days.

But significant and diverse immigration has been happening for far longer in the US - that imbues a society with its own distinct characteristics - and that's still continuing to this day with new groups.

Australia's continental European, African, and especially it's Latin American populations, are practically non-existent, they're so small. Whereas the US has significant immigration from all of those regions named.

And is there a recognized "NT Aussie accent"? It seems to small and historically sparse a population to develop separately. Could you give me literature on that?
Sorry mate, the 'Continental European' immigration post WW2 into Australia ran into the millions....so hugely substantial in a continent with a population of only 7.4million in 1945.
Some 4.2 million immigrants arrived between 1945 and 1985, about 40 percent of whom came from Britain and Ireland.
The first European WW2 refugees to arrive in AU were from the Baltic states as these people looked 'white'.
By the 1950's there where huge numbers of Italian and Greek immigrants, the cultures of the European migrants helped to fundamentally change the perception of AU being a 'British Colony'.
It wasn't until the 1970's that Australia formally ditched the 'White Australia' immigration policies and allowed immigration based upon all other criterias ie skills, professions, refugee status etc.

In 2020, there were over 7.6 million migrants living in Australia. This was 29.8% of the population that were born overseas. One year earlier, in 2019, there were 7.5 million people born overseas.

Nearly every single country from around the world was represented in Australia's population in 2020.

England (980,400) continued to be the largest group of overseas-born living in Australia. However, this decreased from just over a million, recorded throughout the period 2012 to 2016
Those born in India (721,000) were in second place, with an increase of 56,300 people
Chinese-born (650,600) fell to third place, with 17,300 fewer people
Those born in Australia (18.0 million) increased 211,400 during the year.

Link to the Australian Bureau of Statistics
https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/pe...as%20migration

As for the Slight NT accent in Darwin and Top End kids with Indigenous inflections....well you'll just have to take my word for it.... we actually live it..... and speak it. Well my kids do, I grew up down south so I speak the 'General' AU accent, the other ones are 'Cultivated' and 'Broard'.
https://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/...6391e82a9a8a09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 06:09 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I'm not even Australian... yet
Well I hope you chose to be soon. Have you spent much time on the east coast?

Old 10-09-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
And also amusing that the person seems to be assuming that all of our British immigrants are white. Our friends who immigrated are respectively of Pakistani heritage and Chinese Malaysian heritage. Were 100% British but now proud Aussies.
I have a friend who I worked with in London many, many years ago he's white British and recently migrated with his Pakistani British husband to Sydney. The whole 1960s thinking about who is coming from Britain is just that.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:52 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Well I hope you chose to be soon. Have you spent much time on the east coast?
Thank you and i will as soon as i'm eligible in a couple of years . As for the east coast, not yet, we have only been here a few years and we came to Australia from New Zealand for a more family friendly lifestyle which we have in buckets here. Out of the cities we considered it was either Adelaide or Perth with Perth being the main choice due to higher wages and cheaper house prices and the climate. Brisbane was up there aswell but due to the fact I mainly work outdoors I would find it tough in very humid climates. Some get used to it, others don't. I can take the heat, not the humidity lol. We will definitely do a bit of traveling over east when the little one is a bit older.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:49 AM

474 posts, read 263,332 times
I'm often amused (as here), when others get themselves wrapped around the axle about some aspect of American culture, such as the hyphenated American, or Americans' alleged obsession with race. Race is a factor in our culture, but we're not obsessed with it. That descriptor is often applied to Americans by people from cultures where race is less of a factor than in the US.

Outsiders should understand that compared to other countries, in the US, almost anything you can think of gets measured, on the theory that if it doesn't get measured, it doesn't get managed, and it doesn't get acted upon. If it doesn't get acted upon, it doesn't get improved..... Accurate data helps ensure correct federal dollars go to the appropriate communities.
All in pursuit of a more perfect union.......

Here's the Census Bureau's explanation for why they ask people about their ancestry and more.

Quote:
Ancestry data help communities:

Ensure Equal Opportunity

We ask about ancestry in combination with information about housing, voting, language, employment, and education, to help governments and communities enforce laws, regulations, and policies against discrimination based on national origin. For example, ancestry data are used to:

Enforce nondiscrimination in education (including monitoring desegregation).
Enforce nondiscrimination in employment by federal agencies, private employers, employment agencies, and labor organizations.
Enforce laws, regulations, and policies against discrimination in federal financial assistance (Civil Rights Act of 1964).

Understand Change

Researchers, advocacy groups, and policymakers are interested in knowing whether people from different backgrounds have the same opportunities in education, employment, voting, and home ownership. For example, ancestry data are used with age and language data to address language and cultural diversity needs in health care plans for the older population.
The ancestry question was first asked in the 1980 census.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:27 PM

55 posts, read 35,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I have to say watching some random go to pieces on the internet over poorly interpreted demography stats is pretty funny.
"poorly interpreted demography stats" - you mean interpreted objectively, which angers you because you want to think Australia is "as diverse as the US"?

Old 10-09-2022, 12:28 PM

55 posts, read 35,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Your own link also clearly stated by far the biggest source of immigrants to Australia these days is India and that 3.8% of Australis population was born in England, which is about 12.6% of the immigrant population. The UK does remain the single biggest source, mostly because of a massive immigration wave from the end of WW2 up to the 1980's, overall the total number British immigrants living in Australia has been pretty much stagnant for 50 years, in 1971 it was 1,017,981,754 - in 2021 its 1,108,408.

The net growth (Arrivals - Departs and Deaths). in Australia's immigrant population over a 20 year period to 2021 was + 2,965,011 of which the UK accounted for 75,273 or 2.54% of total immigration growth. India accounted for 19.5% of it, with China, the Philippines, New Zealand and Nepal, making out the top 5. the UK was 12th behind Iraq (11th).
Uh...no it doesn't:

Quote:
England (980,400) continued to be the largest group of overseas-born living in Australia. However, this decreased from just over a million, recorded throughout the period 2012 to 2016

Old 10-09-2022, 03:40 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Uh...no it doesn't:

Yes it does - if you bothered to read your own link, and the post you are replying to you will note I said "These Days" as in the current immigration intakes, and there is a graph, where it says India had a gain of 53,500 and the UK 10,720.

I also then gave a bit of a description of how Australia's immigrant population has changed over the last 20 years. Surely that is enough for you to know exactly what I am talking about, are are you simply too much of a denialist to accept facts?

I doubt there would be many Australians who are unware of the great British migration after WW2 (My mum was one of them, and I am a British Citizen Myself as a result), however as also mentioned that pretty much ceased or at least was scaled back considerably in the 1980's.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-09-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-09-2022, 05:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I'm from a white homogenous country so i must be ignorant? Someone from the US needs to come on here and drag this guy off as what an absolute embarrassment comment this is to the American people. What are you doing on an Australian sub anyway embarrassing yourself by not able to interpret your own graphs? It's clear you have some personal issues you need sorting out, it's not needed here. Try and be civil or leave

Also don't tell me that Americans don't use ethnicity to claim nationality. Plenty of Americans like to claim they are as Irish as i am and that they know more about Irish history and current political affairs than we do and it's the same with those with Italian or Russian etc. It's the most condescending thing some Americans are known for in Europe. This doesn't happen in the UK or Australia. They don't refer to themselves as Irish English or African English, white English or Black English as a form of identity. It would be laughable so leave that nonsense out of here

I'll explain again leave race out of this. It has NO bearing on CULTURAL and NATIONAL diversity which is what i was referring to by claiming 30% of Australia's population were born in different land and cultures including the UK because that to is a different culture and land. Who CARES about race, i made it quite clear i wasn't referring to this as it has no bearing on cultural or national diversity. Skin colour is superficial. Culture is not. Heritage also isn't an indicator because while the VAST majority of Australian ancestry is Anglo/Celtic it's culture today is VERY different to Ireland/UK. Americans with Irish or Italian, African heritage are JUST American, thats it. They'll never be Irish or African or Italian no matter how hard they try. My kids are Australian, they will never be Irish even though it is in their blood. At the end of the day our heritage doesn't/shouldn't define our behaviour, our heritage is nothing more than a memory of where our ancestors came from. To claim 95% of Australia's culture is supplanted American or British shows you haven't got a clue what you are talking about, what absolute rubbish. You truly need to see some of the world as you your making wild assumptions about a country you have never been to but convinced your an expert on

As for US immigration, Australia has a FAR more open immigration system in proportion to it's population which is why 30% of it's population were born overseas compared to just 15% in the US. The US is well known as a country where you have to be on a much more narrow skill list than Australia or have an significant amount of money to invest. In Australia there are pathways for a wide number of occupations such as Chefs, Plumbers, Builders, Engineers, Nurses, Care workers etc to come here, not just the highest skills. The skills list is MUCH larger which is WHY there is a greater number of migrants in proportion to the overall population than the US though the US has more migrants overall largely because it's a bigger economy with more opportunities overall and easier for illegal migrants to navigate. Australia is one of the easiest county's to migrate to https://visaguide.world/tips/easiest...-immigrate-to/

Proportion is EVERYTHING because while Australia has less migrants overall than the US it will still feel more culturally diverse due to 30% of it's people being born in DIFFERENT cultures (including UK) and lands therefore Australia is more diverse now run along now and stop trying to convince us that the USA is the BEST at everything, that myth died long ago lol
Someone from The States may more likely have living experience of what diversity is, (depending on from where in States, lives obviously)

It is hardly fair to compare Australia where real diversity remains a policy of only four decades or so, with the 21st Century witnessing a change in migration source countries in terms of absolute numbers.
On what grounds can you confidently declare that culture has no bearing on national identity or is of no importance?

It will depend on numerous factors. It is not only Australian born Anglo/Celtic born that decides on culture. If you have been to The States you should have noted there is very much a Black American culture , and an ever growing Latino culture. A lot will depend on numbers in a particular area.

Australia does not feel more diverse than The States. We are rather new to the diversity game. We remain still (but declining) British born heading the overseas born numbers. Something long passed in The States and Canada.

Canada, to my mind appears more diverse than Australia. I think demographics will support that. Australia is a rather easy country to immigrate to which in itself does not necessarily bid well for the future.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
"poorly interpreted demography stats" - you mean interpreted objectively, which angers you because you want to think Australia is "as diverse as the US"?
Nope. I don't really care either way. Watching you squeal like a baby is what keeps me coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand