Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,016,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle72 View Post
I just moved to melbourne 2 weeks ago from sydney and today a woman (junkie) on the street threatened to steal my bag after i wouldn't give my money to her and called me a *****, which is ironic since she is the one threatening me because i would not give her my hard earned money but me the innocent person trying to get home from the city is a ***** makes so much sense....not anyway my point is this never happened to me Sydney and i lived there for 16 years. I feel very unsafe in Melbourne especially on trains and when people actually come up to you and demand money which has never happened to me anywhere else except Melbourne i mean in Syndey they might ask you for money but when you say no they walk away not threaten to steal your bag, and i don't understand why they think they are entitled to my money more than i am the person that has actually worked for it stupid junkies are a waste of space on earth and there's alot of them in Melbourne. I feel alot safer in Sydney i could walk there in the middle of the night and feel safe so if your planning on moving to one of these cities i recommend Sydney.
Then what is it about Melbourne that people are so fascinated? So many people naming it the best city in Australia, I think I disagree with this. There are soooo many ugly suburbs in Melbourne, including richmond, caulfield, etc.
What do others think, comparing Melb vs. Syd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
Melbourne and Sydney both have good and bad areas. I saw more junkies and homeless people in Sydney, but Melbourne isn't short of them either.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,732,843 times
I used to live in what everybody and his dog claims to be the best city in the world - Vancouver. I was spat on by some clearly deranged individual on the street one day. Panhandlers in Vancouver were aggressive since about 1990 and I even had one grab my arm and demand $5 for "something to eat". I had another nutter unzip his fly in the middle of the street as we were crossing in opposite directions, and yell "Hooooo Baby!!!!" at the top of his lungs. I was housesitting a girlfriend's condo in a newly, but not quite, gentrified area of Vancouver for a week and every morning had to step over either homeless sleeping in the doorway, or their vomit or worse.

Welcome to reality. Big city reality.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Then what is it about Melbourne that people are so fascinated? So many people naming it the best city in Australia, I think I disagree with this. There are soooo many ugly suburbs in Melbourne, including richmond, caulfield, etc.
What do others think, comparing Melb vs. Syd?
Richmond = inner city suburb. tram lines. lots of resturants.
Caufield Park is alright. I like Caulfield, close to Elwood etc. Shopping is average. but it's an older area still. Resturants are an intresting mix. I have frequented the Hungarian resturants a few times there--

Do you live in Melbourne or Sydney or .... ?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 AM

53 posts, read 135,682 times
Melbourne is full of charming and/or beautiful suburbs.. (all of the Dandenong Ranges towns, Hawthorn and surrounding suburbs, Elwood and other bay suburbs, Eltham..). There are plenty of charming and beautiful suburbs which also have a grungy edge which is find if you like a little arty gritty life (St. Kilda, Fitzroy..). There are tons and tons of boring but not too ugly suburbs in the middle. There are tons of boring and VERY ugly suburbs as well.

There is a lot to do and see in the CBD (central city area), the buildings are full of fascinating details. Look up, there are gargoyles and odd carvings on many of them. It's a beautiful city to wander around in and reminds me a bit of Amsterdam.

Bad luck, as in the aggressive junkie, can happen anywhere in the world. A highly populated area just increases the chances. Maybe if I just got to a city and had that experience it would put me off, but the fact is my experiences like the one described are embedded in years and years of great experiences.

btw I don't think Richmond is ugly, though it is gritty. It's a vibrant place.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,846 times
I just register in here and found that all the discussions has been very good use to me for my research on the Chinese suburbs in Melbourne. I hope there are more in other states in Queensland and New South Wales. Can anyone help me with this.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,030,765 times
Just do a google and you can find how many asians live in what states.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesemi View Post

Hi I will be moving to Melbourne next November.
Is Melbourne a safe place to live?
Is there any suburbs that are not recommended to live in?
Is it easy to find a job at this time of year or is it hard because it will be Christmas time? I am an electrician .
And what about schools?
Melbourne is a relatively safe city but like in any other big city there are certain areas that should be avoided.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,278,120 times
Melbourne's a great place if you don't mind the dirt and the weather.

As an electrician you will be in huge demand. You could also go up to the mines where the big money is.

It is (almost) illegal to own a gun in Australia so the sort of "American" type crime you are probably worrying about just doesn't happen.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,510,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlily View Post
I just register in here and found that all the discussions has been very good use to me for my research on the Chinese suburbs in Melbourne. I hope there are more in other states in Queensland and New South Wales. Can anyone help me with this.
The centre of asian culture in Brisbane is Sunnybank, its possibly the only area in the city with a majority asian population (cant tell you exactly what portion of them are mainland chinese)

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-01-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand