Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,040,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
I wonder if a peaceful Australian tourist would be safe in the US or would he or she become a victim of one of your many thugs of different races , or one of your millions of gun owners . As someone who has never used a gun in my life the knowledge that millions of US citizens walk the streets there with revolvers and shotguns in there cars or there bags and semi automatic weapons seems enough of a deterrent for me to ever visit such a country.
I thought you were the expert on all things American, yet you don't even seem to know how an Aussie tourist would be in the US????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
I wonder if a peaceful Australian tourist would be safe in the US or would he or she become a victim of one of your many thugs of different races , or one of your millions of gun owners . As someone who has never used a gun in my life the knowledge that millions of US citizens walk the streets there with revolvers and shotguns in there cars or there bags and semi automatic weapons seems enough of a deterrent for me to ever visit such a country.
Well, we've had quite a few foreign tourists in Perth become victims of some of our thugs. Some of whom, of a certain race (without guns), are well known to perpetrate physical violence on people for no reason at all. Other thugs, full of drink, and again without guns, well known to perpetrate physical violence on people for no reason at all, sometimes with fatal consequences. Like Oz, is some happy little Nirvana! Frankly, I'd rather take my chances in the US versus in Oz amongst idiots sodden full of alcohol or who've been raised to hate whitie.

I base my opinion on countless visits to the US (having lived in Canada for more than half my life), and life in Australia, versus an opinion based on episodes of some Hollywood crime drama.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,448,182 times
Clearly rarch is dillusional or simply trolling or both. If you all ignore him, he'll go away.

Vichel, I'm glad you're having a wonderful time. I've been to most western states several times and will always go back for more!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:13 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
Vichel, I'm glad you're having a wonderful time. I've been to most western states several times and will always go back for more!
Yes, we'll definitely go back for more. We just had a "taste" of the Southwest, as like to call it. We had so much fun. And we were pleasantly surprised at what Utah had to offer. Just gorgeous.

As is Colorado. I can see why so many want to, and do, move to Colorado. And I can also appreciate the concern by long time Coloradoans at the influx of so many people, some of whom insist on changing things to what they claim they fled from. And I'm sure a lot of the attraction of Colorado is the space and the simpler life. More people means less of that. A dilemma so many places face.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,040,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, we'll definitely go back for more. We just had a "taste" of the Southwest, as like to call it. We had so much fun. And we were pleasantly surprised at what Utah had to offer. Just gorgeous.

As is Colorado. I can see why so many want to, and do, move to Colorado. And I can also appreciate the concern by long time Coloradoans at the influx of so many people, some of whom insist on changing things to what they claim they fled from. And I'm sure a lot of the attraction of Colorado is the space and the simpler life. More people means less of that. A dilemma so many places face.
Well your next trip should be northern new England.. Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine...

Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Well, we've had quite a few foreign tourists in Perth become victims of some of our thugs. Some of whom, of a certain race (without guns), are well known to perpetrate physical violence on people for no reason at all. Other thugs, full of drink, and again without guns, well known to perpetrate physical violence on people for no reason at all, sometimes with fatal consequences. Like Oz, is some happy little Nirvana! Frankly, I'd rather take my chances in the US versus in Oz amongst idiots sodden full of alcohol or who've been raised to hate whitie.

I base my opinion on countless visits to the US (having lived in Canada for more than half my life), and life in Australia, versus an opinion based on episodes of some Hollywood crime drama.
Yeah I believe a lot of crime in the US is gang-related, while you might be more likely to be harassed by a stranger here.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,914,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I believe a lot of crime in the US is gang-related, while you might be more likely to be harassed by a stranger here.
Nah, we have just as much gang related violence here, there's just a tendency for them to use knives and machetes more than guns. Only the cops and the underworld have guns.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Nah, we have just as much gang related violence here, there's just a tendency for them to use knives and machetes more than guns. Only the cops and the underworld have guns.
All things considered I'd still feel safer in a place where there are few guns (Oz) compared to a place stuffed with 'em (the US).

Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,914,428 times
Quote:
All things considered I'd still feel safer in a place where there are few guns (Oz) compared to a place stuffed with 'em (the US).
Actually to be honest, I felt much safer in the US despite knowing there are more guns!

There seemed to be a lot less aggro in the US than here and at least over there I know a good deal of the regular population has them as opposed to here where it's only the criminals and nut jobs that have them and you never know when one will pop up! Not to mention here, you're just as likely to get shot by a cop!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,704,853 times
Quote:
You've been watching too much tv.

Yes there are plenty of guns, but few display them openly.

We've started to have more minor crime around the rural area I live, I believe due to the meth, but in terms of serious crime it's rare. Mostly because every house has some sort of gun for hunting or target practice, so a home or car burglar probably wont have a long career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand