Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Oz is a happy nirvana compared to the USA
What a complete lie.

I lived in a NSW town of 24,000 and in the first year our house was broken into while we were asleep in bed. Racial tension between the Aborigines and Italians boiled over and an 18 year old was beaten to death in the main street.

I now live in a New England town of 60,000, no murders in 2008 despite the laxest gun laws in America.

EVERY country has problems, there is NO nirvana.

Australia is not the utopia you continually try to paint it as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,914,428 times
Sooo anyway I think we've established that pretty much all of the Australians here aren't/wouldn't dream of dismissing the USA as a travel destination EXCEPT for one of us who is more than happy to avoid the evils of the US in favour of living the Great Australian dream.

I'd say it's a win for America either way!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,934,742 times
I'll make sure I mention it to all and sundry when I'm in NOLA in October, you best do the same Moon, when you're in the U.S. They'll be soooo relieved!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to the back teeth!

Makes you wanna look at permanent residency over there!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

129 posts, read 555,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Sooo anyway I think we've established that pretty much all of the Australians here aren't/wouldn't dream of dismissing the USA as a travel destination EXCEPT for one of us who is more than happy to avoid the evils of the US in favour of living the Great Australian dream.

I'd say it's a win for America either way!
Good riddance and a win for Australia when you are gone

Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Hearing about the higher occurances of drunken brawls and accompanying "manslaugters" in Oz, (vs. North America)
I'd probably feel safer in one of those U.S. states with the weakest gun laws.
*That said, I'm still not afraid of visiting Oz, but it would make me more cautious.

Are you one of the bigger Aussie blokes who turns into one of those "drunken louts?"
If so, then you might be "nearly-untouchable" in Oz,
but I wouldn't be totally surprised if that'd get you shot in the U.S.A.
either by civilians, or American police.
No im not one of those drunken louts in Oz. Anyone critizes your USA you cannot handle it.

America is an evil society that good men and women around the world shun

Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Yes but I'll be back. Like a bad smell....like someone...well...I'll be back.

I might even bring Americans back with me!

Lots of them! Crazy evil Americans!! I might even go out of my way to help them get citizenship here AND I might even get myself a dual citizenship with America!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Hearing about the higher occurances of drunken brawls and accompanying "manslaugters" in Oz, (vs. North America)
I'd probably feel safer in one of those U.S. states with the weakest gun laws.
*That said, I'm still not afraid of visiting Oz, but it would make me more cautious.

Are you one of the bigger Aussie blokes who turns into one of those "drunken louts?"
If so, then you might be "nearly-untouchable" in Oz,
but I wouldn't be totally surprised if that'd get you shot in the U.S.A.
either by civilians, or American police.
If anyone spoke out in the Us about its system they would propably get shot or arrested. I saw on the news some american tried to demonstarte outside washington and he was arrested, you call that a democrarcy thats why people in the US there are afraid to but I notice many Americans are not afraid to say the truths in the anonymity of the internet and good on them for having the nerve for doing that. I also admire the Americans who have published websites exposing american evils

The Internet has become a place where real truths are spoken . If you cannot handle that don,t use the internet. this is soft compared to [domain blocked due to spam] forums
Yes we also know of the human abuses of your justice system with 25 percent of the worlds prison population.

More american evils

US accused of holding terror suspects on prison ships | World news | The Guardian

americas brutal prisons
Torture Inc. Americas Brutal Prisons

wto ken saro wiwa nike at thirdworldtraveller.com

male rape in Us prisons
No Escape: Male Rape in U.S. Prisons

80 million americans own guns
US Gun Statistics

These are web sites created by americans and good on them for letting people know .

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 AM

Yes so I'm thinking I'd like to see New Orleans next (always wanted to go Jacq ever since reading The Vampire Chronicles and Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil. )although now that you've shown us those awesome pics of Utah Vichel and knowing how much MM loves the place I would like to see some of those fabulous rock formations. They just look amazing. I was in Kalbarri National Park in WA a few years back and it felt like the mini me version of The Grand Canyon. I'd love to see that sometime. Last night there was a competition on the tele for a trip for two to Seattle and I have to say that I loved it there so much I'm bustin to go back again. Plus I've always wanted to see Gracelands, Yosemite, New York (I'll do my quick dart in there this next trip) Hawaii, oh and Field of Dreams!!! Actually when I think about it, the USA as a tourist destination is so HUGE I doubt you'd ever manage to see it all BUT you'd still have a lot of fun trying I reckon!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,971 times
And on that note rarch becomes the first person on my ignore list.

I can only put up with a certain amount of vitriol and stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand