Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,979 times

Advertisements

I am currently a student at the University of Kentucky in the states. I will be studying abroad in the first 2010 semester (Feb-June) in Australia and need help selecting a location!

I have an evolving list that currently has three cities: Cairns, Townsville, and Sydney

climate is a big factor, which is why I have 2 northern cities on my list. Would anyone be willing to lay out what life in some of these cities would be like for a student studying abroad from late February-mid June?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Depends, what are you looking for?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,431 times
Cairns and Townsville are pleasant enough but not exactly the big smoke...if you want a bit more excitement and choice of things to do, go to Sydney. Sydney generally has great weather that time of year (Autumn). If you still want to go to Cairns, travel there after the semester finishes (Feb is still summer and being in the tropics it's hot and rainy).

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 AM

38 posts, read 297,769 times
Have you considered Brisbane? It is a decent sized city and enjoys a nice climate.

I personally would not recommend Cairns or Townsville, but only because I would find them extremely boring. Of the three you are considering, I'd definitely choose Sydney. I think their weather would be similar to yours in Kentucky. Someone in my course is on exchange from Kentucky and, while he finds the weather in Melbourne pretty cold, he still copes well.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
i have completed B.Tech(biotechnology) in 2009 and my gre - 810, i want to do ms in which country , university , specialization branch which can i take.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,825 times
Quote:
I have an evolving list that currently has three cities: Cairns, Townsville, and Sydney
cairns and townsville are towns of about 100,000 people each while sydney is 4.5 million. The lifestyles will reflect that. As for weather, Sydney would be comparable to LA while Cairns and Townsville will be more like Miami or Honolulu.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoutlaw33 View Post
I am currently a student at the University of Kentucky in the states. I will be studying abroad in the first 2010 semester (Feb-June) in Australia and need help selecting a location!

climate is a big factor, which is why I have 2 northern cities on my list. Would anyone be willing to lay out what life in some of these cities would be like for a student studying abroad from late February-mid June?
Do not study abroad in Cairns or Townsville, trust me. Choose Sydney, great city life, great beaches, great atmosphere...I'm an American who traveled around Australia and ended up moving there for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand