Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,731 times

Advertisements

welcome to my ebay store MY ID is silencealltime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:47 AM

991 posts, read 1,772,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Butter and mayo, yes, definately. Vegemite however, dosen't really go with salad (or anything else! ) and is usually eaten on it's own, as a vegemite sandwich.

Yeah, You can buy Salad Sandwiches/Salad rolls (Salad in a hamburger bun), in many deli's and lunch bars.
I think the only combo you get is Vegemite and Cheese. I prefer Promite but any of the "mites" aren't readily available in the US. The closest is Marmite which just doesn't taste right. Also no Bonox or even Bovril. You can get Milo from the Asian supermarkets and KitKats, Flakes and most kinds of chocolate from supermarkets in the British section.

The idea of a sandwich (especially in New York) will come as a shock to most, a ham sandwich is more of ham with maybe some bread. You get like 5 cms of meat - its kind of put me off sandwiches.

Other things that are hard to get and hard to explain to folks are the good old meat pie and sausage roll.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Kit-kat's are British?

They are a VERY common chocolate bar in any convenience store or vending machine, here in Canada.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Interestingly I was at my local Wegman's supermarket here in Pennsylvania and they are now selling Tim Tams in the cookie section. It was in the small section they have for all the walker's shortbread and other foreign cookies and biscuits. However the packaging which was Arnott's packaging, didn't call them Tim Tams, they were called australian chocolate creme cookies or something.
WHAT!!!! damn.. PA is soo far away. I will be in NJ next weekend, perhaps I can find a local Wegmans to check out!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
The idea of a sandwich (especially in New York) will come as a shock to most, a ham sandwich is more of ham with maybe some bread. You get like 5 cms of meat - its kind of put me off sandwiches.
Now that's my kinda sandwich! Same in Montreal and their Smoked Meat sandwiches, only I think it's more like closer to 7cm of meat. The thin slices of rye bread are merely there to help you get all that smoked meat into your gob without getting mustard and meat juice all over your fingers

For me, nothing worse than a sandwich that is 90% bread and 10% filling, no matter how good the bread is.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
WHAT!!!! damn.. PA is soo far away. I will be in NJ next weekend, perhaps I can find a local Wegmans to check out!
Where in NJ are you gonna be. I'm sure there are World Markets there.

World Market - Store Locator

Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Now that's my kinda sandwich! Same in Montreal and their Smoked Meat sandwiches, only I think it's more like closer to 7cm of meat. The thin slices of rye bread are merely there to help you get all that smoked meat into your gob without getting mustard and meat juice all over your fingers

For me, nothing worse than a sandwich that is 90% bread and 10% filling, no matter how good the bread is.
I could not agree more; nothing makes me madder then ordering a deli sandwich and finding only 2 or 3 skimpy pieces of meat between two slices of bread; what a rip off. My wife on the other hand makes the worlds best pastrami Reuben. She takes two slices of jewish rye; butters both sides; grills the pastrami with sauerkraut adds 2 slices of melting swiss cheese and spreads 1000 island dressing on both slices of the rye. I'm literally salivating as I type this; literally.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Wegmans is in a couple of different states so I'm sure on their website they've got a store locator.

Wegmans by the way makes great deli sandwiches fresh.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

That seems to be an english(limeys) thing. I remember hearing about it before I visited england and sure enough you get meat slices as thin as paper. The lack of sandwich skills seems to have spilled over to NZ and Australia. I've never had a decent sub or deli sandwich down there, ever. If anyone has suggestions for any city in oz or NZ and good places to get a sandwich please by all means let me know.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I could not agree more; nothing makes me madder then ordering a deli sandwich and finding only 2 or 3 skimpy pieces of meat between two slices of bread; what a rip off.
Very much a rip off. A few months ago I had a craving for an avocado, tomato and lettuce sandwich while at work so I went to what people said was a great place for sandwiches. The two slices of bread were close to an inch thick each and the filling consisted of about a quarter of an avocado, a few microscopically thin slices of tomato, and a whole pile of head lettuce. $8 for what amounted to bread and lettuce, with the avocado and tomato as condiments. I ended up removing one of the ridiculously thick slices of bread and eating it as an open-faced sandwich, after discarding two-thirds of the lettuce. I made a proper Avocado, Tomato & Lettuce sandwich at home later that night for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
My wife on the other hand makes the worlds best pastrami Reuben. She takes two slices of jewish rye; butters both sides; grills the pastrami with sauerkraut adds 2 slices of melting swiss cheese and spreads 1000 island dressing on both slices of the rye. I'm literally salivating as I type this; literally.
Me too! That sounds delicious. It's a completely different cuisine when it comes to sandwiches between our two countries. Italian delis do the best job as far as sandwiches here. You rarely go wrong there, as they put a lot more filling in good crusty buns - pickled eggplant, provolone, cos/romaine lettuce, salami, mortadella, sliced onions & tomatoes, mmmmm! Way more bang for your buck, a complete meal in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand