Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Some places will put Avocado in hambrugers.

But putting Beetroot in hamburgers, is far more common.
Here, probably any place that puts avocado on a hamburger would be "very posh" for trying something so extravegant.
I think I might try that on my on home-made burgers though.

Beetroot?
I suppose that's another Aussie/British word I've never heard.
Here we just call them "beets."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,557,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Here, probably any place that puts avocado on a hamburger would be "very posh" for trying something so extravegant.
I think I might try that on my on home-made burgers though.

Beetroot?
I suppose that's another Aussie/British word I've never heard.
Here we just call them "beets."
Beetroot is used by American Hillbillies. It is what it is, the root of beets. They use it in Possum stews, some of them eat it with grits and hog jowls or with some crows eyes.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Beetroot is used by American Hillbillies. It is what it is, the root of beets. They use it in Possum stews, some of them eat it with grits and hog jowls or with some crows eyes.
Australians pickle it and then stick it in almost everything.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:50 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,913,764 times
Quote:
Australians pickle it and then stick it in almost everything.
Geez roo! Bugger that! I just buy the old can of Golden Circle at the supermarket! None of this fancy home pickling business for me!

BUT I do put it on just about everything!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Geez roo! Bugger that! I just buy the old can of Golden Circle at the supermarket! None of this fancy home pickling business for me!

BUT I do put it on just about everything!
It's canned for me aswell, I'm afraid.

The humble tin of beetroot and the inevitable beetroot stain.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 08-24-2009 at 02:38 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
It's canned for me aswell, I'm afraid.

The humble tin of beetroot and the inevitable beetroot stain.
I watch them on the cooking shows get all fancy and roast them and do all kinds of other things but it's so easy to open a can.

Well except you gotta be careful of the beetroot stain.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,838,192 times
Usually the only time I have beets is when it's in a soup called "borstch." (sp?)

Old 08-24-2009, 06:20 AM

We have beetroot on lots of things here, mostly burgers and in salad sangers and we don't have a bbq without there being beetroot.

You'll find beetroot in the salad bar at most pubs and buffets and salads in the summer just aren't the same with out a couple of rounds of beetroot.

We have borsch in restaurants sometimes but I've never had it.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
We have beetroot on lots of things here, mostly burgers and in salad sangers
... which turns the bread a bright, almost unnatural pink. Quite bizarre to behold.

That's quite an Aussie thing - beetroot, or beets in various dishes. On burgers, in sandwiches, and staples at barbeques and salad bars. It's more of an oddity elsewhere in the world, other than borscht. Don't know about the UK though, can't recall if I saw beetroot put on so many things there, or not.

I'm not much of a fan.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM

991 posts, read 1,772,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
... which turns the bread a bright, almost unnatural pink. Quite bizarre to behold.

That's quite an Aussie thing - beetroot, or beets in various dishes. On burgers, in sandwiches, and staples at barbeques and salad bars. It's more of an oddity elsewhere in the world, other than borscht. Don't know about the UK though, can't recall if I saw beetroot put on so many things there, or not.

I'm not much of a fan.
American beets are disgusting - I think its because they leave the sweetness in instead of pickling.

Can't get have a good burger without one. Also no such thing as a burger with the lot, egg, bacon, beetroot and pineapple - drool....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand