Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,913,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
"Beneath our radiant southern cross..
we'll toil with hearts and hands.."

there second verse started, I'm relearning Oz 101. I'm losing a lot of it though and found myself using the New England term 'wicked' in a conversation..

And I do recall shopping at Wooly's in ADL on a Saturday night and finding heaps of food bargains (esp fresh produce).. or was it a Cole's??? IGA bargains were rare...
That's ^ the national anthem isn't it? No need to learn it! None of us know it!

Yeah, there's usually stuff going out in the supermarkets at the "end" of the week. They usually re-stock for late night shopping Thursday and Friday and I guess they get a lot of trade Sundays. I just know that if I'm in the supermarket in the quiet times I'll often find reduced bargains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Is the Safeway in Australia the same as the one here in the states?
Yep. Least if the Safeway store in Payullup WA is anything to go by they're the same.

Here it's Safeway/Woolworths. I think Woolworths was an Australian company and then it was bought out by Safeway or maybe it was the other way around.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM

9,544 posts, read 16,557,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
That's ^ the national anthem isn't it? No need to learn it! None of us know it!

Yeah, there's usually stuff going out in the supermarkets at the "end" of the week. They usually re-stock for late night shopping Thursday and Friday and I guess they get a lot of trade Sundays. I just know that if I'm in the supermarket in the quiet times I'll often find reduced bargains!

Yep. Least if the Safeway store in Payullup WA is anything to go by they're the same.

Here it's Safeway/Woolworths. I think Woolworths was an Australian company and then it was bought out by Safeway or maybe it was the other way around.....
Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I pay 1.39 USD for a dozen large eggs in the US! I am always shocked at how much cheaper shopping is in the US over Canada (and Australia). I do miss my ketchup chips and Habitant pea soup .. can't get that south of the border. I miss these as much as I miss Tim Tams and cheap South Aussie oysters (10 AUD a dozen).
If you're anywhere close to a World Market (used to be called Cost Plus) they sell Tim Tams. Man, I love those things.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times
Food in Australia is very expensive, come to think of it, everything in Australia is very expensive. There's no such thing as free refills on soda and the fast food joints even charge you for a packet of ketchup (seriously). That being said, one time when we were in a rush, between tours, we begrudgingly went into a Mickey D's for a quick bite and it was far and away the best McDonalds that we've ever eaten at in the world. Australian food is very fresh and tasty; expensive, but tasty.

Oh, we did find some relatively inexpensive noodle houses in Sydney and Brisbane, even ate in the train station a few times in the food stalls and mall food courts. Aldi is pretty cheap for food shopping and Big W (I thought it was Wal Mart, as they have the same smiley face logo, but it's Woolworths) has some not as expensive produce.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks.
You're welcome.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
.... Big W (I thought it was Wal Mart, as they have the same smiley face logo, but it's Woolworths) has some not as expensive produce.
Actually Walmart just bought out Big W here.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,103 times
Quote:
Actually Walmart just bought out Big W here.
As far as I know, BIG W is still owned by Australian company, Woolworths Limited! Though there is the possibly, that Walmart could now hold a part share in the company?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 08-19-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Food in Australia is very expensive, come to think of it, everything in Australia is very expensive. There's no such thing as free refills on soda and the fast food joints even charge you for a packet of ketchup (seriously). That being said, one time when we were in a rush, between tours, we begrudgingly went into a Mickey D's for a quick bite and it was far and away the best McDonalds that we've ever eaten at in the world. Australian food is very fresh and tasty; expensive, but tasty.

Oh, we did find some relatively inexpensive noodle houses in Sydney and Brisbane, even ate in the train station a few times in the food stalls and mall food courts. Aldi is pretty cheap for food shopping and Big W (I thought it was Wal Mart, as they have the same smiley face logo, but it's Woolworths) has some not as expensive produce.
Yep it's funny you do get used to the free refills for drinks here in the USA. Actually I don't mind paying for an extra drink but in australia you usually have to chase down and tackle the waiter(ess) to get your bill, not to mention to get another drink.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
As far as I know, BIG W is still owned by Australian company, Woolworths Limited! Though there is the possibly, that Walmart could now hold a part share in the company?
Well a little while back when I was in Big W and they were changing everything around I was told by the manager it was because they'd been bought out by Walmart........so your guess is as good as mine roo.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,960,103 times
Quote:
Well a little while back when I was in Big W and they were changing everything around I was told by the manager it was because they'd been bought out by Walmart........so your guess is as good as mine roo.
Maybe it is true then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand