Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times

Advertisements

[quote=ColdCanadian;*As a Canadian citizen, I am uneligible for this because "too many Canadians" already live there. [/quote]

You're right next door! Here, we'll trade for a while. You can go to college for me and work my aggravating retail job, and I'll go hang out in Canada for a bit...in spring. Im not freezing my backside off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCH-NZ View Post
I plan on (hopefully) moving to America, in around two years, maybe even one. I'm only seventeen, and I realise this is still early, but in only a few weeks I'll have finished my final exams and will begin looking for a job so I can begin saving up. I hope to move to Los Angeles, obviously like most naive young teenagers to pursue a career in film.. I realise the HUGE difficulties, it's not so much about 'making it' as much as it is to be involved with that culture and to be with others interested in film production, I'm more interested in behind the scenes type stuff, in particular directing or DP.

I'll be moving over with a friend with similar ambitions, so we'll be living together probably to help cushion the likely to be large cost of living in LA.

Obviously I want to live in a safe area, but because I'll be quite poor, is that actually possible? I've read it can be difficult, but if living with someone, it's possible. I didn't think living actually in any part of Hollywood was possible because I figured it would be ridiculously expensive, but from brief researching it actually sounds like an apartment might be possible to find? What's public transport like, I hear it's terrible?

How long is it likely I'll be allowed to live in America? I hear it's very difficult to obtain citizenship in America, my brother mentioned that you have to have lived there quite a while to try get citizenship, is this true?

Right now, I don't know a lot of the details of actually moving to Los Angeles, but it would be great for people to help fill me in, and remove my cloud of ignorance. Thanks!!
I truly dont think this is wise, dear, especially not at your age. There are plenty of people in L.A that will tell you anything you want to hear in order to take advantage of you. Have you visited L.A before at all?
Crime rates in L.A are quite high, and the neighborhoods you probably can afford (barely) are NOT nice ones. Ive a friend living in one such neighborhood, and he has been mugged in the apartment parking lot, had his car stolen....just awful, but its all he can afford even working 2 jobs.
Im not trying to scare you, but this is the truth.

Many cities in the US are very, very car dependent. L.A is no exception.

Do your research first, and visit first if you can to get a real feel for what you are considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
You've got lots of good advice from many good folks here. I'd add that it's a really good idea to go over and experience it firsthand, bearing in mind that everything is great when you're on holiday. L.A is a tough city once daylight hits and the dancin' stops. Fun, but tough.

Here's a link to the U.S Diversity Program mentioned previously.
Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery

Beware of agents offering to register you for this lottery. The above site is the only official one; some other operators charge you $$$ and all they do is exactly what you can do yourself on the above site. You don't need to pay a cent until you're in, and it's time to pay visa charges etc.
It's open right now until Nov 30, then it'll re-open again a year from now.
Good luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
You've got lots of good advice from many good folks here. I'd add that it's a really good idea to go over and experience it firsthand, bearing in mind that everything is great when you're on holiday. L.A is a tough city once daylight hits and the dancin' stops. Fun, but tough.

Here's a link to the U.S Diversity Program mentioned previously.
Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery

Beware of agents offering to register you for this lottery. The above site is the only official one; some other operators charge you $$$ and all they do is exactly what you can do yourself on the above site. You don't need to pay a cent until you're in, and it's time to pay visa charges etc.
It's open right now until Nov 30, then it'll re-open again a year from now.
Good luck!
Good advise on using that website. 2 mates from down under were scammed by one of those other sites and were shocked when I sent them the link to the correct sigh. Amazing things you find when googling eh? Speaking of eh, I'm spending this weekend with a mate from Adelaide and Toronto I should be heading home with some weird English that combines NY, Oz and Toronto.. I reckon I may say something like g'day eh!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Yeah you right, true dat, mate. Prawns. Boudin. Oh shut it Jacq.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Yeah you right, true dat, mate. Prawns. Boudin. Oh shut it Jacq.
LOL. I mentioned your name in the Postgraduate studies in Oz thread. You should have a read.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I think I heard on the DV visa program they took around 600 Australians a year. Don't know the #'s for kiwis.

There was a gal I knew from Austria years ago that applied and got a visa and came over here. She spoke good english but she struggled for many years.

That's why if you are 18-30, at first just take advantage of the working holiday visa. Come over for 4 months or a year and see if you like it. You might not.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
LOL. I mentioned your name in the Postgraduate studies in Oz thread. You should have a read.
Hey, some good advice there. Seriously. Not everyone here can take a joke though..some of the ppl I work with are a bit..delicate, can't say a bloody thing to them! That's why it's a relief having you to come home to!
Maybe that's another suggestion for the OP: you're young enough that if you do go to the U.S and it doesnt work out, dont worry about it, come back, regroup, and try again in a few years. Take your ambitions seriously, but have a laugh as well, and don't take yourself too seriously.
Btw, have you applied for any tertiary studies before going to the U.S? A degree will be looked on favorably (duh Jacq), plus it could give you some valuable industry contacts.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM

[quote=minibrings;11277599]Good advise on using that website. 2 mates from down under were scammed by one of those other sites and were shocked when I sent them the link to the correct sigh. Amazing things you find when googling eh? quote]

My partner just told me he was very nearly taken in as well. He acutally put his phone # in (i guess he was real eager, probably trying to get away from me, just pre-empting you mini ).
They called him and apparently really put the pressure on, saying things like "don't you want to go the States" when he told them he didn't wish to proceed. So please stay away from those scammers. Again, they will no do anything you cannot do yourself on the official form.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
You're right next door! Here, we'll trade for a while. You can go to college for me and work my aggravating retail job,

and I'll go hang out in Canada for a bit...in spring. Im not freezing my backside off. .
Indeed I am physically close, but (metaphorically) so far from the U.S.A.

*I know several people here, (a few of them with skilled professions providing a decent income) who'd love to live in the warmer parts of the U.S.A. instead of Canada, but the U.S. Immigration department wants nothing to do with Canadians of "only" their skills. (no B.A. or higher degree, they aren't an entertainer, religious worker etc.)

What do you consider "Spring"?
March in Toronto averages 39/24 F (4/-4 C)
April in Toronto averages 52/37 F (11/2 C)
Even Toronto's April average is still colder than January in Columbia SC.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-21-2009 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 17,733 times
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think it will end up being a while until I decide to at least visit LA.

Next year I'm going to be doing a film & tv production course, which I might even be getting a scholarship for! (find out soon). I'm also going through the schools career adviser to hopefully get work experience with a TV studio down here (Whitebait hopefully, but maybe just CTV; they're both surprisingly open for work experience). After completing the course, I'll probably look to HOPEFULLY do another one further, possibly over in Aus which won't be too much a problem (friends & relatives are there), but that will prob be far too expensive.

I am still very interested in possibly moving to the States, considering maybe Miami but only because my Godmother lives there, I'm not too interested in living there. I'd rather somewhere else probably still in California, but got serious doubts about LA.

Where would you guys recommend a nice SAFE and affordable city/town/whatever to live? I've heard nice things about San Jose but know nothing about it (simply heard it was nice). Also would be great if it's a warm place, I hate how cold NZ can be. Thanks again.

Oh & that being said, I'll probably end up just staying & living in Aus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand