Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeko View Post
Another thing your parents would probably be concerned with is the availability of quality health care. In the States they'll mostly be covered by Medicare so access isn't an issue.

My experience with health care here (10th most populous town or so) is that the local hospital is not up to US standards (infection control is particularly scary), and availability of drugs is limited by the national formulary.
Nope drugs are not limited if you wish to buy them, I'm surprised you are using the public hospital, private hospitals are available if you wish to go down that road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Yes, they would be entitled to Medicare. I am not sure how Medicare works for expats nor do I know if New Zealand would treat that person and bill the US. It is an interesting question.
Nope, medicare would not work in NZ if they are here from being sponsored they would be treated as kiwis.

If here for six months as a visitor they would need to pay for any and all treatment except as the result of an accident.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZAspirant View Post
Hi,

We just moved from the US to NZ (Auckland due to job of DH). My DH had come initially to find a job and also get a feel about the possibility of living here. He liked it very much so we all moved down here (family with 2 small kids).

First impression was that property is very expensive here (atleast in Auckland compared to even LA). Buildings are old, bad insulation, mold and water leakage in most of the homes (I am in a rental right now). No central heating / AC was a big shocker! Everything is so expensive here - food, cars, housing, utils (esp electricity), as this is a remote island with a small population and does not have / very expensive all the "Extras/would like to haves" imports. Even particle board furniture (like from Target) is so expensive here! Another big negative thing that I found was that shops close early (5PM?). I miss US, but I am trying to forget it and stop comparing with life there. I hope to get accustomed to living here!

We are not big spenders and cook most of our meals, but life is still expensive, atleast in Auckland. Our salary's are figuratively higher here, but saving capacity is lower. I would suggest that you do not come here as just a tourist on a train trip, but rather as a person who is going to live here. As others suggested, I would definitely recommend that you come and try out on a holiday working visa before you move down everything.
A bit of history on electricity, when national were last in power in 1995 they decided to privatise the electricity industry so we would all have cheap power.
Of course for each power board we now have three companies some still owned by the government for the returns.

The annoying part is that most of our power is generated by hydro at a cost of 2cents a K/HR yet we pay between 18 and 22 cents.

My advice if you are staying in NZ is to make sure you have a well insulated home, including the windows, no reason why folding external insulting shutters cannot be made.
They are a damn sight cheaper than replacing all the windows in a home with double glazing.

Last edited by nzrugby; 11-04-2009 at 12:08 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 AM

526 posts, read 1,756,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
A bit of history on electricity, when national were last in power in 1995 they decided to privatise the electricity industry so we would all have cheap power.
Of course for each power board we now have three companies some still owned by the government for the returns.

The annoying part is that most of our power is generated by hydro at a cost of 2cents a K/HR yet we pay between 18 and 22 cents.

My advice if you are staying in NZ is to make sure you have a well insulated home, including the windows, no reason why folding external insulting shutters cannot be made.
They are a damn sight cheaper than replacing all the windows in a home with double glazing.
Are solar panels an option? Or is the cost to high for it to be worthwhile economically?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Also check out GoWay tours. They are very good.
I checked out AAT Kings. Rip-off. They have the same exact tours as relaxingjourneys except the price is the same but in US DOLLARS! This tour is exactly the same and the two websites do look affiliated but AAT is 6100 US and relaxingjourneys is 4500 US after you convert to US from NZ lol.

The GoWay tours don't seem to cover as much places.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Are solar panels an option? Or is the cost to high for it to be worthwhile economically?
Hot water panels are worth it in the North Island, but electrical solar panels are just too expensive and too much hassle.
I'm putting a repeating wireless router in for a neighbor and it is cheaper and more effective to run 500 metres of outdoor CAT 5 to carry power only, after one adds up the prices of panels and batteries etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Hot water panels are worth it in the North Island, but electrical solar panels are just too expensive and too much hassle.
I'm putting a repeating wireless router in for a neighbor and it is cheaper and more effective to run 500 metres of outdoor CAT 5 to carry power only, after one adds up the prices of panels and batteries etc.

I am not familiar with hot water panels. I will do some reading on it. In CA the solar panels are worth it if you buy the home in your twenties and plan to live in it your whole life. In truth, investing in utilities is better than investing in solar panels since you are hedging for both inflation and capital appreciation over time.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Does anybody from NZ want to share which companies they use for the following:

Natural Gas
Electricity
Cable/Satellite TV
Internet/Broadband
Water

And how much they pay for each?

* I am aware that the south island does not have access to natural gas, therefore simply add a 0 amount.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 26,716 times
Thanks to all who answered all of JJA100's questions. I was also looking at retiring in New Zealand, but you have described so many cons to me that it would not be a wise idea. I am a past Vietnam Veteran and have also looked into that aspect, as I really enjoyed the people there (even during wartime), but I found it illegal that the US direct pay me social security payment when in that country (if social security even exists for me in the future). One has to wait in long line at the US Embassy for social security payment benefit. I retired early on a pension and won't qualify for social security for another seven years. Ladies and Gentlemen? Thank you for the great education.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBob2010 View Post
Thanks to all who answered all of JJA100's questions. I was also looking at retiring in New Zealand, but you have described so many cons to me that it would not be a wise idea. I am a past Vietnam Veteran and have also looked into that aspect, as I really enjoyed the people there (even during wartime), but I found it illegal that the US direct pay me social security payment when in that country (if social security even exists for me in the future). One has to wait in long line at the US Embassy for social security payment benefit. I retired early on a pension and won't qualify for social security for another seven years. Ladies and Gentlemen? Thank you for the great education.
Bob it doesn't matter anyways cause NZ laws right now only let "retirees" stay in NZ for half the year. However that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the country. There are plenty of good apartment and condo rentals out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand