Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Ever tried that place in Subiaco that specializes in 'Southwestern' cuisine? Went there once, it seemed ok, but far too expensive for what you got.
I will make a point of trying that place as I have been curious about it myself. We don't eat out much here as the prices are depressing, especially since it's often so-so. And just about every place we've liked in the past has gone downhill lately. Even some of the Italian restaurants we've been going to.

Expensive? I downloaded the menu and I see what you mean. Americans and Canadians would find it ludicrous to spend those prices for Mexican food, which has always been known for being tasty cheap food. $22.50 for a Chicken Burrito? And almost $30 for Grande Nachos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I will make a point of trying that place as I have been curious about it myself. We don't eat out much here as the prices are depressing, especially since it's often so-so. And just about every place we've liked in the past has gone downhill lately. Even some of the Italian restaurants we've been going to.

Expensive? I downloaded the menu and I see what you mean. Americans and Canadians would find it ludicrous to spend those prices for Mexican food, which has always been known for being tasty cheap food. $22.50 for a Chicken Burrito? And almost $30 for Grande Nachos?
Exactly, and the portions aren't even that big. I think I got the Enchiladas, or something similar (no offense, but they have alot of names for dishes which seem to be the same thing! ) and that barely filled me up! Was nought but an entree!

I ate at a place called Montezuma's at Noosa Heads which was quite good (a bit greasy though), a bit cheaper and it really filled you up.

I sometimes used to eat at the place at the Carilion City foodcourt, which I thought was surprisingly good for the price. Something like $8.50 for Fajita's. I think the owners were actually Mexicans so that might've helped...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,607,237 times
is there any chain restaurants like taco bell or others?????

Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Bad enough I was once invited into a kitchen of a "mexican" restaurant in NZ to teach them how to make salsa.

Now that's scary since you don't even really have to cook; it's just chopping up a bunch of tomatoes and a little bit of onion, hot pepper, and a bit of spice and then throwing it into a bowl for a little bit for the flavors to blend.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
is there any chain restaurants like taco bell or others?????
I did a google and found an article on when T/B was in Oz..
Did not see any MX themed chains in ADL, MEL or SYD..

Speaking of chains in Oz, I wish we had Nando's in the US.. I was happy to see it in Canada. It was my favourite chain in Oz, though its origin is South Africa, not Oz

Last edited by minibrings; 12-09-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Speaking of chains in Oz, I wish we had Nando's in the US.. I was happy to see it in Canada. It was my favourite chain in Oz, though its origin is South Africa, not Oz
I remember looking at a stock called Restaurant Brands in New Zealand about 10 years ago. They tried the Taco Bell chain I do believe and it didn't work.

I think what might work down under is a chain like Chipolte with a simple menu of tacos and burritos.

There is a fast serve Mexican place in Auckland I am going to try next time there.

Nando's is now in Washington DC.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Nando's is now in Washington DC.
Ya I saw that in their website. Have you been to it?
Too bad its such a long way from northern new england.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What about Montezumas? The food is good if you're starving, but after a couple Margaritas you don't notice much else. They used to be in Nth Adelbrain, unless it went the way of everything else and closed....?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
What about Montezumas? The food is good if you're starving, but after a couple Margaritas you don't notice much else. They used to be in Nth Adelbrain, unless it went the way of everything else and closed....?
Listen.. Montezumas is not a chain. And yes its still in North Adelaide across from a nice coffee shoppe (Cikolatte) run by a nice young Turkish couple who kept a special mug just for me.
http://www.cikolatte.com.au/

But I prefer Zapata's down also on Melbourne. I heard both are owned by the same person.. odd.

But compared to the MX you get in NA, those 2 restos are poseurs, IMO.

Its nice to be able to talk about the old hometown eh?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
I think what might work down under is a chain like Chipotle with a simple menu of tacos and burritos.
That'd be good if they came here. I tried them when I was in the US earlier this year and liked their food. Very tasty. It might be the right time for someone to try that out here.

They might have to make sure they've got beetroot as one of the toppings/sides though, to get more Aussies to try it. That, and fried egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand