Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Never said he was old but at 39 he is past his prime.
I don't buy that either. There is no reason why he shouldn't have the same equipment or better then JJ or anyone else out there. That leaves one conclusion that is impossible to confirm or deny...he just doesn't care anymore.

Let's be honest here, the guy has been racing for what, 35 of those 39 years? He's probably sick and tired of it. If that's the case, it's a shame, because he was (maybe still is) on pace for at least second in all time wins. I don't think that's the case, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Congratulations Jeff on the birth of your son Tuesday.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
JG suffers from the same problem that ended the careers of, DW, Rusty, Dale Jarrett, Bill Elliot and now Mark Martin. Auto racing especially Nascar Sprint Cup is now a young mans game.
The difference being several of those named were not competitive at all in their waning years. Gordo is still competitive, his standing in the points demonstrates that.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM

For a good part of the race in Michigan, it looked like the Jeff Gordon of old....starting from the back and racing up to 2nd place at one point, until a crazy restart and a flat tire did him in.

I chalk that up as bad luck. Get it out of your system now Jeff.

You can also look at it as Jeff is starting to peak at the right time. It really was a great performance by him and his crew. Hopefully a sign of things to come in the next dozen races.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Nothing; he just put himself into the cup run tonight.Its JR that may hace run out of excuses really with Hendrick.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I have been a big 24 fan for a long time, and I think it is a combination of some small things when added together are the result.

First is his age. He is beyond his prime years for driving. Still young enough to be very good, but the reflexes have slowed down a little. That adds to the challenge but is not the sole reason.

Besides that, I do not think the COT suits his driving style. When it first appeared, he had very few kind things to say about it's handling. It seems like the most successful drivers are the ones who like very loose racecars with the COT. Gordon seems to prefer a tight car, but that isn't necessarily the fastest way around the track.

Luck. This year, he could easily have at least 3 wins. Maybe more. He was taken out of two races he could have won with strategy. He blew one on a green-white-checker restart. I think he was destined to win Michigan too, which was one heck of a drive from the back for him, until he hurt the car on the restart and could not recover.

By most standards, he is having a terrific year. 2nd in points, top 5's and top 10's. What is noticable is the lack of wins which stands out for a driver ranked 6th all time in wins.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 AM

It would have been nice for Jeff to have one or two wins prior to the start of the Chase for those bonus points.

But what I've noticed is that in order to win the Championship, you need to start peaking at the right time. It's hard to tell with Jeff, but he has had some good runs in the past few races, Michigan for one.

Maybe Jeff will be like the Boston Celtics...they didn't look that hot at the end of the season, but then they turned on the turbo chargers and kicked some booty in the post season to win the Championship.

Along with some luck, it's all about momentum and peaking at just the right time.

Jeff's chances at being a 5-time champ are running out, like the previous poster stated, age is not doing Jeff a favor when he is behind the wheel of a race car.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
I don't think he and Steve are the right fit and Jeffro needs to get alittle more aggressive. JMO

Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Jeff's chances at being a 5-time champ are running out, like the previous poster stated, age is not doing Jeff a favor when he is behind the wheel of a race car.
without the stupid chase format he'd have won 2 more champs. already, that's a fact.

to me he's in principle a 6 time champion.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
without the stupid chase format he'd have won 2 more champs. already, that's a fact.

to me he's in principle a 6 time champion.
And JJ would have none. Didn't someone figure that one up?

Here's a conspiracy for you; what if the Chase was started to prevent Gordon from getting to 7 or 8 titles? Just playing conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing