Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times

Advertisements

Jeff is still good, real good, the competion is better too..But I think Jeff isn't nearly as focused on racing as he use to be, he can't be, he has a nice family now, which leads a man to contintment.
.How has Jimmy done since his wife gave birth???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
And JJ would have none. Didn't someone figure that one up?

Here's a conspiracy for you; what if the Chase was started to prevent Gordon from getting to 7 or 8 titles? Just playing conspiracy theory.
Lol. Don't let that one get out!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have been a big 24 fan for a long time, and I think it is a combination of some small things when added together are the result.

First is his age. He is beyond his prime years for driving. Still young enough to be very good, but the reflexes have slowed down a little. That adds to the challenge but is not the sole reason.

Besides that, I do not think the COT suits his driving style. When it first appeared, he had very few kind things to say about it's handling. It seems like the most successful drivers are the ones who like very loose racecars with the COT. Gordon seems to prefer a tight car, but that isn't necessarily the fastest way around the track.

Luck. This year, he could easily have at least 3 wins. Maybe more. He was taken out of two races he could have won with strategy. He blew one on a green-white-checker restart. I think he was destined to win Michigan too, which was one heck of a drive from the back for him, until he hurt the car on the restart and could not recover.

By most standards, he is having a terrific year. 2nd in points, top 5's and top 10's. What is noticable is the lack of wins which stands out for a driver ranked 6th all time in wins.
On the contrary, what makes drivers like Gordon, Stewart, Khane so good is their ability to drive loose race cars. They all developed this ability driving sprint cars.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:

Here's a conspiracy for you; what if the Chase was started to prevent Gordon from getting to 7 or 8 titles? Just playing conspiracy theory.
Then the Chase creates another problem...Johnson winning four straight. I wonder what the next conspiracy will be to fix that?.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Jayski is reporting that Walmart is in negotiations with HMS to sponsor the #24 car. DuPont is taking a smaller role in 2011. Walmart would split time with DuPont, National Guard and Pepsi.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Don't forget how close the entire field is in performance of the cars. Have you looked at a field of 42 cars and there is only 1.1 seconds or less from pole position to the last place starting position? I also think this new car has been a tougher adjustment for some drivers to be as aggressive as they used to be.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:

I didn't realise JJ wouldn't have any. I knew he wouldn't have them all but not none.

Cons. theories are everywhere but really I just see it as a horrible decision by Nascar. It was a vain attempt to make the last 10 races more interesting by essentially starting the top 12 back on level terms (outside of 10pts. for ea. win) but in reality it's made the first 26 less important. If you get hot for 10 races as long as you're 10th, 11th or 12th and make the chase you can still win. Aren't there like just over 150 pts. available for every race?

It's watered everything down really, had the opposite fact. Like basketball , hockey, where almost half the teams make the playoffs and MLB where the season is rediculously long American sports have really gone downhill. What's the point of playing 82 games to only pare down the league to half? The regualar season has little meaning in most sports - the best being football but of course they want add 2 more games to that. If you get hot in football, win 4 games, you can win the super bowl with a 9-7 record just barely making the playoffs.

and plus, even though Jeff was never popular with many original, hardcore fans I think he drums up interest and is someone many like to root against (and throw beer cans at when he wins ) and he did help bring newer fans into Nascar. Something that's needed to grow the "brand" , of course many would argue that Nascar has changed too much and I'd agree, but then again all sports have.

so no, I don't believe it was started just to keep JG at bay, just a bad decision like many others in the sporting world. I like Jeff, and to me, he's a 6 time champion, albeit unofficially.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Overall, things could have been worse for Jeff at Fontana Sunday. Jeff railed back from a speeding penalty to finish in the top ten and is now 4th (-85) in the points standing.

Some of Jeff's best tracks are coming up, 'Dega and Martinsville. Hopefully Jeff will have a strong finish at CMS this Sunday, that will give him the momentum to win the next two. Jeff has also done well at Texas and Phoenix as of late, so there is a chance that Jeff could be in first place or close by Homestead.

The 24 pit crew is at it's best level yet.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Overall, things could have been worse for Jeff at Fontana Sunday. Jeff railed back from a speeding penalty to finish in the top ten and is now 4th (-85) in the points standing.

Some of Jeff's best tracks are coming up, 'Dega and Martinsville. Hopefully Jeff will have a strong finish at CMS this Sunday, that will give him the momentum to win the next two. Jeff has also done well at Texas and Phoenix as of late, so there is a chance that Jeff could be in first place or close by Homestead.

The 24 pit crew is at it's best level yet.
Exactly. 11.4 sec?!!!! Wow!!!! Back in the "good ol' days" it used to take 11 minutes.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
He's got the pole for Sunday's race. That says something about his abilities. Now let's see how he does during the race. Obviously he's got a fast car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing